What should I read to my nephew?

My nephew recently turned 4. I see him all too infrequently. I’m thinking of recording some stories and sending them to his father on CD.

But what to record? Most books aimed at that age have lots of pictures - not a lot of good in a recording. Is he too young for Aesop’s fables? They’re mostly nice and short, which is very good, and I can follow up by giving him the book in a couple of years.

I should note that I’m aware that there can be copyright issues and have already spoken to a publisher about them. This thread will ignore them.

I used to love Aesop’s fables before I could read, so about 4 sounds right. I think it’s a good choice.

[QUOTE=Quartz]
My nephew recently turned 4. I see him all too infrequently. I’m thinking of recording some stories and sending them to his father on CD.

But what to record?
If you can be really expressive, you can’t go wrong with Dr. Seuss. He probably has them in the house already, and the repetition doesn’t grow old. John Lithgow does the best Fox in Sox ever.

Beverly Cleary-Ralph S. Mouse books
Junie B. Jones books
Boxcar Children series

Try the My father’s dragon trilogy by Ruth Stiles Gannett. Great for 4-yo’s.

My brother and I absolutely loved The Tiger Who Came to Tea. The tiger knocks on the door, comes in for tea and eats everything in the house (including drinking all the water from the tap IIRC). It’s very cute.

The Giraffe the Pelly and Me is by Roald Dahl and aimed slightly younger than most of his books - the characters form a window-cleaning company using the giraffe as the ladder and the pelican as a bucket :slight_smile:

You can’t go wrong with the Mr Men/Little Miss books and you have plenty of choice there.

Perhaps you could record your reading then send him the book and the recording, then he could look at the pictures as he listens to you read. He might need one of his parents to turn the pages for him to start with, but he would quite likely learn the story and know where to turn himself after several repeats.

Winnie the Pooh books (the originals) are mostly text. And they’re about a boy and his animal buddies so it’s not too girly for a 4-year-old boy.

Moved from IMHO to CS.

Although I have no answer for the OP, I just wanted to say what a COOL uncle you are! Your idea is a great one!

Excellent ideas - thanks.

You should give him the recording and a book. At that age, my daughter used to lie on the floor and listen to books on tape looking at the pictures. I love Custard the Dragon by Ogden Nash at that age.

The Graffalo and The Graffalos Child - although may be a bit short/young, great for 3 year olds.

Hugh Loftings original Doctor Doolittle books have few illustrations, & a good plot. I am not referring to later, dumbed-down editions.
Perhaps Ben & Me by Lawson?

Or, perhaps, Henry Reed, Inc?