What should we call the new ninth planet?

I thought the name of Earth’s moon was Luna.

I like the Greek: Selene.

Planet Claire.

It’s huge, right?

I suggest Mammoth or Colossal.

There seems to be some sort of convention among some people to call the Earth’s moon Luna, and our sun Sol, but neither of those, as far as I know, are names in any official or scientific sense. This article and this article seem to confirm.

Bronson.

Didn’t Jack Vance create a god named Kalzibah? That would be fine with me.

Juno is already taken. It is the name of the 3rd asteroid ever discovered, in 1804.

Persephone is also taken; it is the name of another asteroid, 399 Persephone, discovered in 1895. It really surprises me that Clarke, of all people, would make that suggestion and not know that there was already a celestial body named after Persephone…

Poor asteroids, nobody keeps them in mind or remembers their names!

[del]Gallifrey[/del] Mondas

Planet Belewe.

Treason?

Shayol?

Virgin

In Honor of a science fiction series I’m fond of, Manticore. Or Sphinx. Or Gryphon.

If we don’t name a planet “Barrayar” before one of those it would be an insult to SF.

Bieber.

The planet (Jules) Verne ?

There were moons named Wells and Verne in The Flying Sorcerors by David Gerrold and Larry Niven.

If you haven’t read the book, I highly recommend it. Not only is it an extremely unlikely pairing (Niven and Gerrold?), but it’s a hilarious send-up of the entire SF community. And it’s also a good straight “Science Vs. Magic” story, done right.

Ork.

Hercules! Herculeeees!

Assuming this discovery pans out over the next few months …

The discoverers are American, amirite?
This planet is big; bigger than all Earth, amirite?
This planet’s orbit is big; bigger than all Earth’s orbit, amirite?

So there’s only one possible name for a planet this Great, found by a country led by a leader this Great.

Ladies & gentlemen, I give you Planet TRUMP®.

FYI, the all-caps are not optional. Anyone not complying will be invaded.