What snake venom does to blood - fascinating video

Remarkable!

This is What Snake Venom Does to Blood!

Damn nature, you scary!

Is anyone craving some jello right about now?

I guess that one was a neurotoxin, because it was a cobra. I wonder what a hemotoxin does to a goblet of blood?

Do we know that snake is a cobra or a snake that uses a neurotoxin? The poster only mentions that he or she was looking for information on Cobra perfume. I’m guessing the snake in the video actually does inject a hemotoxin.

It was a Russell’s Viper, as indicated in the comment on the video. It has hemotoxic venom which so effective for blood clotting that it is used in diagnostic tests.

Cobras have fixed fangs, unlike the movable fangs that vipers have.

If you click on “show more,” you can read the complete comment, which mentions that it’s a Russell’s Viper.

Viper schniper, what do I know from snakes? It is why I posed my question. But thank you for the answer.

Truth.

Brutal!

Why does he flick the hypo before squirting a drop into the cup?

It’s a way to get all of the air bubbles out of the syringe. Flicking it a few times gets all of the air bubbles to condense into one big air bubble at the top of the syringe. You then push on the plunger to get the air out of the syringe. When liquid starts coming out of the needle, all of the air inside is gone.

A pot for every snake and a snake in every pot.

I think what Patty was trying to say is…Because we’re worried about what? It’s not they’re going to inject an air bubble into someone’s blood stream.

I figure it’s habit. Yes, he doesn’t need to be concerned about the cup of blood developing, what , an embolism (I think that’s what air in the bloodstream can cause), but there’s no guarantee that he’ll never be injecting a person or an animal where it will matter so it’s a good idea to always do it the right way and not worry about muscle memory messing you up.

I know that you can build up a resistance to snake venom by injecting yourself with small doses, a practice called Mithiadatism ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithridatism _ ) Miami Serpentarium director Bill Haast (who died last year) had successfully done this, and they used his blood in transfusion to save snakebite victims. Presumably his blood didn’t clot in this fashion, after years of treatment.

There was an interesting comment by a vet. He stated that dogs bitten died, surprisingly, from hemoraghia. And I don’t understand his explanation :

I would understand that all enzymes breaking down clots are used up, but why would clotting factors be used up? :confused:

Just a guess, maybe he’s talking about disseminated intravascular coagulation. When DIC occurs in people, small clots form all over the body which uses up the available clotting factors as well as platelets. You get minor injuries resulting in uncontrolled major bleeding. It’s really nasty stuff and fatal if not treated quickly.

Yes, that’s what he’s talking about:

DIC.

True, however you run just as likely a chance of developing a severe allergy to the venom, rather than desensitizing your body to it. I haven’t read much about it lately but the mechanism isn’t well understood as of my last perusal through trade literature on the subject. It is NOT a recommended practice.