What song is this?

I heard a song, but only the beginning of a song. I thought that it was Queen, but after scanning my father’s extensive Queen collection, I couldn’t find it.

It’s a very slow rock power ballad from the late 70s or 80s that starts with a series of synth pads (3 or 4 chords). A voice enters in the lower range of a tenor singer, “I’m asking why.” The line is echoed, repeated, and then echoed again.

The vocal phrase is a pick-up that comes in on the upbeat of beat 3 (…+4+1+). It’s straight eighth notes ending with “why” on the downbeat of 1. I think “I’m ask-ing wh-y” is “fa fa fa fa me” or at least those intervals.

What song is this?

Moved to Cafe Society.

You didn’t look very hard. It’s by Enigma. It was probably a remix, but there certainly is a Freddie Mercury-sound to his voice.

That song is from 1996, but other than that it might fit the bill.

Also, despite the Youtube video title, the song is actually just called Why!..; it’s from their album Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi.

Oh, I guess that’s it. I thought I heard the song from the start, so I was looking for something with a it in the first verse, not the chorus. I also thought it was from a band that I knew. I’ve never heard of Enigma.

Sorry for the trouble, Internet. </thread>