What sort of name is "Varsha Sabhnani ?"

I will save you the Google. The story is of the sentencing of Varsha Sabhnani to 11 in the Greystone Hotel (and her husband Mahender Sabhnani, to 5 years) on charges of slavery. The case is simply heart-breaking.

The papers describe the pair as millionaires who their money in perfume. They are Indians of Indonesian origin (who live on Long Island, for the trifecta).

The papers are too polite to mention it. I want to know. Are these two more likely Muslims or Hindus?

!!!

Sounds Persian or Hindi to me. Her husband’s name is Mahender, which makes me think Hindi is more likely.

Thank you. Any others?

Definitely Indian. Mahender sounds very Punjabi to me - if it was a Hindi name it would have been Mahendra, I guess.

More likely to be Hindu. Varsha means rain, and Mahender is maha- (great) followed by the Hindu god Indra. Traditionally in Hindi it would be Mahendra, but you will often find Jains who spell it Mahendar. I see his middle name is Murlidhar, which makes him definitely of Hindu origin.

I agree it’s a strange and bizarrely cruel story. It almost defies belief that people would be that screwed up, but I don’t know why I’m surprised each time.

My mind always wanders down the path of “How many other cases are undiscovered?”

Yeah… that’s right… those fn dirty Hindus. Muslims in Saudi Arabia would never do this.
Lol, what is the OP trying to get out of the answer?

Alex, this kind of post is completely inappropriate for GQ. It contributes nothing to the thread. If you have a problem with a post, either report it or take it to the Pit. Don’t do this again.

I note you have had several warnings in the past few months. I seriously suggest you think more carefully about your posts before submitting them.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Thank you, mod, for many reasons.

and then I’m the one who gets yelled at?? for what, exactly? making accusations… in a lighthearted tone?

And btw, I have nothing personally against people being racial or rooting for their home team or whatever. I hate political correctness. That’s why I didn’t say anything seriously. In a way that would have been real… in a way you would think, ‘oh that guy is actually being ethical’.

There was nothing whatever to indicate your post was meant in a “lighthearted” way. If you are that unaware of how your posts come across, it’s an even better reason to consider them more carefully.

If you have anything further to say about my moderation, take it to ATMB or the Pit. Further discussion here will result in another warning.

Check your e-mail. Your continued posting privileges are presently under evaluation.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

I recall reading coverage in which Ms. Sabhnani was accused of religious taunts. Something to the effect of “I’m Hindu, you’re Muslim, neener neener.”

From the New York Times:

Right – the rule of thumb is that if an Indian name ends in “-ani,” it’s Sindhi, and probably Hindu. I don’t know if Muslims from Sindh have similar names, or if their last names are more standard Islamic names.

I was going by the first names. The locals here use a rather small number of first names. But for all I know (knew) Muslims from India or Indonesian origins might use other first names.