What sports stadium/arena has had the most names?

The problem with corporate naming rights is corporations so often change. Fenway = Fenway = Fenway, but Enron Field and Adelphia Coliseum are no more, even with the building still there.

What stadium or arena has had the most different names? Joe Robbie Stadium / Pro Player Park / Pro Player Stadium / Dolphins Stadium / Dolphin Stadium / Land Shark Stadium / Sun Life Stadium is 7.

Thinking only official names here. Yankee Stadium and “The House that Ruth Built” doesn’t count :wink:

Wrigley Field has had three different names… but the last time it was changed was 1927. One could also make an argument that it was way ahead of it’s time in regards to corporate naming rights.

Madison Square Garden is the opposite – four different arenas used that name.

Since their inclusion in the NSW Rugby League competition in 1967 Cronulla Sutherland played at Sutherland Oval then in mid-1968 moved to Endeavour Field at Captain Cook Drive, Woolooware.

Naming rights have changes steadily:
Endeavour Field
Caltex Field
Ronson Field
Shark Park
Toyota Park
Toyota Stadium

Giving Cronulla the distinction of a home ground that has had more names than they have played grand finals (three), and having more home grounds than they have premierships (none).

The Cronulla rugby league ground, offered by penultima thule, is a pretty decent candidate. I’ve been to games there under 4 of those 6 names.

But i’ve managed to go one better, here in the US. The stadium where the Miami Dolphins NFL team and Florida Marlins baseball team play is currently in its seventh different name.

Joe Robbie Stadium (1987-1996)
Pro Player Park (1996)
Pro Player Stadium (1996-2005)
Dolphins Stadium (2005-2006)
Dolphin Stadium (2006-2009; 2010)
Land Shark Stadium (2009-2010)
Sun Life Stadium (2010- )

Well done, but you might want to check that OP again… :slight_smile:

Well, shit. That’ll teach me to read the OP properly.

That’d be right, bugger the OP. Just stalk PT and gazump him at every opportunity.

:smiley:

Some multiple named stadiums (though none that hold the record)

Jack Murphy Stadium/Qualcomm Stadium/San Diego Stadium
Dodger Stadium/Chavez Ravine Stadium (of note because it used both names at the same time).
Sportsman’s Park/Busch Stadium (St. Louis)
Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium (Philadelphia)

Two stadiums in different cities that had the same name: Wrigley Field (Los Angeles and Chicago)

This is not uncommon. I believe there are at least two Fifth Third Fields.

The SF Giants’ home stadium has had three names in its short life:

Pacific Bell Park
SBC Park
AT&T Park

The Giants’ former home has had four names:

Candlestick Park
3Com Park at Candlestick Point
San Francisco Stadium at Candlestick Point
Monster Park

The Houston Astros’ home ground has had four:

The Ballpark at Union Station
Enron Field
Astros Field
Minute Maid Park

The Baltimore Ravens’ home ground has had four:

Ravens Stadium at Camden Yards
PSINet Stadium
Ravens Stadium
M&T Bank Stadium

I really think we’re unlikely to find a stadium that will beat the one mentioned in the OP. One reason is that, at least in the US, and especially in baseball, most stadiums are either quite new (the post-Camden Yards rise of new-style stadiums) and haven’t had much time for multiple name changes, or they are old and venerable, with names that haven’t changed in decades (Wrigley, Fenway, Dodger Stadium, etc.). Even most NFL stadiums are quite new (<20 years), and the older one tend to have traditional names that have remained unchanged for a long time.

As far as i can tell, none of the 20 English Premier League stadiums has had more than a couple of names, and a few of them, like Turf Moor, have had the same name going well back into the nineteenth century.

The current Boston Garden has official been: The Shawmut Center (although no games were ever played under that name), the Fleet Center, TD Banknorth Garden, and now The TD Garden.

Extremely pedantic nitpick: No it didn’t. When the Dodgers were at home, it was called Dodger Stadium. When the Angels were at home, it was called just Chavez Ravine. Nobody ever appended the “Stadium.” And they never played home games on the same day, so it was never known as both at the same time. :smiley:

There was a 2-month period in 2005, between the end of the Fleet contract and the beginning of the TD one, where they put the official name up for auction on eBay every day, I think for the Jimmy Fund. They retained veto power, to keep some New Yorker’s every-single-day bid for “Derek Jeter Center” from winning. That period might have made it the winner here, if they’d ever publicly released a full name of winners.

But we do know that for two days it was the Yankees Suck Center.

I’d forgotten about that. Is there a list of the names anywhere?

You know, I was about to nitpick this and say that Sportsman’s Park and Busch Stadium were different ballparks at different locations, but according to Wikipedia Sportsman’s Park had been called Busch Stadium since the early 50’s. Having grown up in St Louis, you’d think I would know that, but I have never heard of Sportsman’s Park being called anything but Sportsman’s Park. Ignorance has been fought!

The interesting thing about this, is that the stadium didn’t rename itself; the company with the naming rights kept renaming itself.

I seem to recall that GM place in Vancouver was renamed “Canada Hockey Place” for the duration of the Olympics because of an IOC rule prohibiting corporate names for olympic venues. For the same reason, the arena then know as Delta Center, but now known as Energy Soutions Arena, was renamed “Olympic Ice Center” during the 2002 games.