What surprises have your pets brought home for you?

There is a big rat lying dead on my living room floor, on his back with his little feet up in the air. I can’t deal with them even when they’re alive, so I’ve covered it with a box until I can persuade somebody to toss it into the pet cemetery that is the abandoned yard next to my backyard. I usually cover them with a big pot, but this one’s tail is way too long to fit without repositioning it. My cat is stealthily circling the box, curious as to why I would cover up his prize. Where there’s one dead rodent, there’s usually more in its family to follow in the coming days ahead. Now I have to go call the neighbor boys across the street who like to come check it out whenever this happens.

In the past, the cats have left me: mice, rats, moles (the latest just 3 days ago), birds, a bird head, and a baby opossum. And our wayward pet hamster. How about your pets?

I’m very grateful that all my cat is capable of catching is moths. She brings them in, but quickly eats them, so there’s no mess.

My current cat only seems to catch house centipedes. It’s kind of creepy. She smooshes them into the carpet, then meows for me to come look. Usually, the centipede is still alive, just horribly entangled in the carpet fibers.

My old cat brought me a few mice during a short period of time when field mice were coming inside due to road construction nearby. Not too remarkable, except for the fact that the cat was 24, arthritic, dying of kidney failure, had stopped playing with cat toys, etc. I awoke a few times to caterwauling, which was unusual, since she never meowed or anything. I’d panic, flip on the light, expecting to find her howling in pain… but instead, she was proudly showing me a dead mouse between her paws.

My parents dog once brought home a grocery bag with grapes and cheese in it. Another time she brought home a large, plastic owl.

Finally, something useful! How did they train her to do that? It’s about time one of these pets earned their keep!

One time my cat dropped a terribly injured, bleeding, flapping bird onto my sleeping daughter’s bed. The bird managed to flap off into the closet with the cat in close pursuit. My daughter is still traumatized by it.

Our cat brings in mice and birds, usually not dead yet. The wierd thing is, mice he brings to our bedroom, and birds go to daughter’s bedroom… without fail.

We think what happened is the neighbours were unloading groceries from their car and were taking them in, a few bags at a time, when she came along and grabbed one.

The owl, we have no idea.

My parents were too embarrassed to ask any of the neighbours about the grapes and cheese, so we don’t know for sure, but it’s a good guess.

They ate the grapes and cheese.

My dog brought a BIG dead rat in once. Props to him for killing it, not so much for bringing it in the house…

Once, a flying squirrel.

More often, half-eaten baby bunnies. For some reason, she usually leaves the back end plus miscellaneous viscera.

Mice, rats, rabbits, birds, squirrels, and chipmunks.

The weirdest thing a cat ever brought home, before I had to get rid of her, was a beaver. (I didn’t abandon the cat somewhere, I gave her to a friend.) Before she brought one home, I didn’t even know there were beavers in this area.

Mr. Accident, whoa. Beavers are huge. Was it a baby beaver? Was it dead?

Our Mighty Huntress Midnight was overweight and arthritic and was hampered by a paralyzed tail, but she still climbed trees and hunted. One time she came home with the arm of a toad protruding from her mouth.
You can say I’m guilty of anthropomorphising her, but it’s hard for me to explain some of her behavior except by saying that she was proud of her kills and bragged about them. This was funny when she was still little, and we heard her victory Roar, followed by her coming in with the Feather Duster. Or the Natural Sponge.

She kept it up as she got older. Catching moths was no big deal, but one time she caught a huge moth and insisted on walking back and forth in front of us and our other cat before noisily crunching down on it.

Or the time she, as an old cat, caught a mole, and insisted on bringing it into the house.
The year before she died, she caught a live and very active chipmunk. I’m still amazed at this, because I’d seen her going after them before, unsuccessfully. And she was pretty old by this point. And we wouldn’t let her bring it in and show it off – we were afraid she’d let it go and not be able to catch it again (like she did --outside – with the snake). The last thing we needed was a loose chipmunk in a house with four cats.

Years ago my dog ran off exploring for a few hours. A neighbor I’d never met saw her, gave her some treats, then brought he home to me. The neighbor was doing yard work at the time, and was wearing a cute lil bikini.

Nothing ever became of the meeting other than a few beers on the patio, but when I told my friends what happened, they all wanted to borrow my dog.

My old dog Beau was the world’s best at retrieving footballs, or any other ball, from out of the most prickly bushes, but I was definitely surprised the first time he brought a hedgehog out.

Not that this is going to make you feel any better, but as a dead body cools, the parasites that infest it will, if they are mobile, try to migrate to a new host. I wouldn’t leave one in my house for any longer than it would take me to find a way of picking it up without handling it.

Regarding the OP, our Bassett/Beagle many decades ago was allowed to roam free (country dog, 35-40 years ago). One day he came home with an entire fresh-cooked turkey, carving knife projecting from the breast. It was still warm. We knew he must have stolen it off someone’s picnic table, but we never asked around. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not something brought home, but I suppose it fits.

The sunshine of my life, Mia, is generally a pretty good girl. Which is good, because when I got her from the pound, she literally ate a wall; she’s really mellowed and rarely gets in trouble anymore. So, the other day, I leave her running around the living room while I ran to the grocery store and when I got back, I noticed her bag of special treats (she has her regular milk bones for every day good jobs, but we’ve been working on her other dog aggression, so I got her extra special fancy treats for when she’s a good girl on walks and leaves the other doggies be) sitting in the middle of the living room floor. Now, the bag was still full, though there were a few treats laying around it, but it didn’t look like much had been eaten, if any at all. I scolded her, she rolled on her back and was quite sad.

Later that night, I went to crawl into my bed, stuck my hand under my pillow and felt something. Out I pulled three of her extra special treats. She had given them to me. Awww. :slight_smile:

Diosa, awwwww. That warmed the cockles of my heart. And your dog is adorable.

Yeah, it really was adorable. When I pulled them out, she ran up to the side of my bed, tail wagging, head high, totally beaming. She was quite pleased with herself.

My little Emily cat and your dog have clever gift-giving ideas. One summer she brought me two complete sets of gardening gloves, one at a time. I laughed thinking of the neighbors replacing the one pair only to make the mistake again of leaving them somewhere where she could find them.

She brings me Daisy, the dachsund across the alley’s, toys. And knowing my love for flowers she brings me dried leaves - a maple, an oak. One summer it was a huge dried dragonfly and several dried cicadas.

There is the occasional live baby rabbit or squirrel carried gently, mommylike, by the nape of the neck. And a multitude of birds, voles and mice both living and in assorted stages of dying.

If I am sleeping these things will be placed on my pillow or in the bed with me - breakfast in bed!

But the most amazing thing Emily ever did and which indicated some extraordinary ability to draw connections happened when she was still a tiny kitten. I’d gotten up to use the bathroom and Emily came along. She left, went down two flights of stairs to the basement and brought me back a whole roll of toilet paper. It was as large as she was and I still wonder how she managed to carry it up the stairs.

She also restores household items to their correct rooms if one of us has left something laying around. One year at Mardi Gras my husband left some beads in the living room. The next day they had been taken to my bedroom and deposited in a box of costume jewelry from my parents’ home which I was sorting through for disposal. It was Em’s keen eye for connection which acomplished the transfer.

The other evening she came in from outside and gave my husband a rusty roofing nail. This ability of hers to match the gift to the person really is interesting to me.

Once she brought me a small felt hammer from the inside of a piano. I think I’d be stretching it a bit far to assume she equated it with me but I still wonder where she found it and why she brought it to me.