What the Hell is happening to our women?

I never said this and am not amused.

Do not errantly attribute a quote to me that I did not say or I will contact the moderators.

The original post was made by El Elvis Rojo, and tsunamisurfer quoted it.

Have a look in your first post in this thread - Considering that it unclear where you were quoting El Elvis Rojo in your post and where you weren’t, it’s pretty obvious why Walloon thought you said this.

It’s odd that you’d say Catherine Zeta-Jones doesn’t look like a dancer and has no professional dancing talent, as she was a professional dancer in the British musical theatre for years before going into television (in the UK) and then film (in Hollywood).

I’m pretty sure she wasn’t pregnant during the production of Chicago either.

I once went to a reception for the Garth Fagan Dance Troupe and was surprised by how small and slight the dancers looked offstage. None of them, including the men, were anywhere near six feet tall. But they all had mightily impressive thigh muscles.

Not so. During a recent interview, she said that, other than tap dancing, she has no formal training, certainly not in jazz dancing. (In fact, over the last two years, her claims re: dancing have decreased, as critics pointed out inconsistencies in her previous accounts.)

I think Zeta-Jones did an admirable job, but she clearly was cast for her considerable name recognition, not for her dancing talent, and the editing reflects and compensates for this. She simply cannot hold a candle to a professional dancer who, in all fairness, could never hold a candle to her box-office draw.

BTW, in another interview (I’m a big Z-J admirer, generally speaking) she said she was 3-4 months pregnant during some of the shooting. Please don’t misconstrue my remarks. I think Z-J is a major talent.

In ‘Chicago’ there is one particular dancer that sticks out. Or should I say her RIBS stick out.

At the beginning of the Tango number all the murderesses are posed in a line. One of them, in the way she is posed and the way she is lit, looks terrible. I mean Death Camp terrible. She looks a bit more normal when she comes out of her pose and starts dancing but I gasped when I first saw her.

I love watching Rear Window and Miss Torso character. She certainly is not skinny and I guess at the time she would be considered to have a dancers body.

No insult intended.
I have taken classes from casting directors. As a director I have cast actors in shows, and as an actor I have been subjected to the casting cattle calls. I assure you that appearance is extremely important in the decision-making process. In most cases, if you aren’t compatible with the physical type you don’t even get considered for the role.

I agree with you that the early Hollywood images of women were full figured. I guess I’m referring to modern standards, which seemed to really take hold in the 1980’s.

My speculation comes from two things: that so many runway models are, compared to the average woman I know, thin, hipless, and breastless. Fashion designers talk about how the clothes “hang” better on such a woman – but most people I know don’t find hanging cloth to be attractive. Most men I know like to see a womanly figure which is a rarity on the fashion catwalk.

Some of my gay friends say they don’t see womens’ secondary sexual characteristics figure as being sexy, as in sexually exciting. I think this only makes sense. I hope it is not offensive. I mean, think it’s quite understandable that modern gay sensibilities (not that I am claiming any expertise on that) could exert an influence on the types of bodies chosen for modeling and other realms.

I acknowledge that there are many influences that have nothing to do with gay preferences. There is probably a selection that occurs before casting. In schools, a chubby woman get negative reactions compared to her svelt colleagues. I dated a dancer and the dance school culture can be very intimidating. Everyone is obsessing about how much they ate, and whether they are retaining water and their stomachs are sticking out by 4 microns. Bulimia and anorexia in dancers is shockingly common.

If I’ve caused offence with my speculations, let me know what it is that I said. I will listen.

I don’t know anything about her training and made no claims as to it, I just said she had professional dance experience. I base that claim solely on the IMDB’s bio, which says she had several starring roles in stage productions that involved dancing as a child/teen actress. If that’s inaccurate then I was wrong, and that’s what I get for trusting stuff I read on the Internet!

I think that she’s one of the ones I referred to in my OP, and I actually said “Oh my god!” out loud when I saw her…

hrh

I read that Kate Winslet (who is definitely built like a woman) was righteously pissed off because a London magazine retouched her photos to make her look thin.

No problem. And let’s give her credit for being able to do everything she did–while pregnant. Her dancing was accomplished, given her background.

Re: another poster, I’ll add that I thought Renee was gorgeous, “skinny” and all. Thank goodness at least one blonde in Hollywood doesn’t have to be an overnight D cup.

What I said earlier (though modified)…

“As for one of the dancers that some poster “gasped” at, I thought she looked great. First, the lighting was visually striking. Second, she was puffing out her chest for dramatic effect. Third, she had an exceptionally large rib cage. Juxtapose these against a thin, thin frame…” (Of course, I worry about girls wanting to emulate this dancer.)

Re: Kate Winslet being a “real woman,” women are real women no matter how they appear. If one person enjoys a skinny woman while another a curvy or big, strapping woman, fine.

Dancers can read minds?!!:eek:

Hey…if you want to super-sized your Renee Zellweger go rent Briget Jone’s Diary.

Personally, I do not find big chunk-size women attractive. A big ol gut and side of beef thighes are really a huge turnoff for me.

On the other hand, I don’t want to date Skelletasia either.

Actually, it wasn’t Kate, it was her FANS. KAte Winslet is a beautifully curvacious woman with some great thighs. The photos made her legs seem about a foot longer, incredible skinny, and according to the interview I saw, she liked the way the photos turned out. I’m not saying that she wishes her legs were that long and thin, but she didn’t seem to mind the alterations. Those of her fans who like the fact she’s a bit more full figured than most stars out there, on the other hand, were highly offended.

There is something I have noticed in a few shows lately. For example, Jessica Alba in Dark Angel the first season looked incredible. In the second season she came back and did not look nearly as good IMO. Her face had that sunken look and she just seemed less attractive and less healthy in the second season.

That would be the Jennifer Aniston effect. IMO, and the opinion of most guys I know, both J.A.'s (Aniston and Alba) looked better before they became stick-thin. Hollywood sucks.

Even in “Bridget…,” Renee Z. did NOT have a “big ol gut.” Her thighs were approximately average-sized, often made to look bigger by choice of outfits. If you like 'em skinny, fine, but the only actresses (off the top of my head) that can even be considered overweight are Kathy Bates, Camryn Mannheim, and various black actresses - I’m sure there are more, but none popping into my head…

hrh

And speaking of Friends, is Courtney Cox-Arquette the next Karen Carpenter? My god, she’s positively skeletal…

hrh