What the hell SDMB?

Further to xash’s tips, Lifehacker recently ran a feature on protecting yourself from drive-by browser malware attacks.

Link

Kal, thanks for the link. Feel free to post it to my GQ thread.

Well, I guess I have my answer about whether it’s OK to discuss Ad blockers in SDMB! I’ve wondered whether people would get smacked down if they tried.

I just want to say that I’m impressed at how xash is handling this stuff. I was very glad you decided to become an administrator again. You’re my new favorite!

We believe we’ve identified the source of the problem and are trying to establish what’s going on. In the meantime we’ve stopped the ads. If anyone experiences further problems, please advise ASAP. If you’ve had problems already, please e-mail full details to tubadiva@aol.com. In particular, please indicate (a) your browser and version, (b) operating system and version, (c) what ad triggered the problem, (d) whether you clicked on or moused over the ad, and (e) date of occurrence. Thanks - we apologize for any troubles this has caused.

Done. Also added a quote to explain what drive-by malware is.

That’s the right response, and really quick too. Glad to see it.

It happened to me on Friday.

Please send details per above to tubadiva@aol.com.

Golly, don’t I feel important?

I think this is the most significant thing I’ve ever done on this board.

Where’s my coffee mug dangit?! :smiley:

Thanks, guys! It happened to me while Ad-Aware, search & destroy, and AVG were all active (I’m a bit paranoid, too), and that (plus turning my computer off, not just choosing “shut down”) may be what limited the problem for me to a corruption of Chrome. I appreciate the rapid response.

I can’t; I was at work and called IT; they came and fixed it. Details all gone.

Ed, I am today seeing ads while logged out.

(c) and (d), in my experience, will be impossible to answer. Both times it happened to me was immediately after clicking on an SDMB page. I never even had the opportunity to click on or mouse over an ad.

We still have ads – Ed meant the ones that seem to be where the problem is.

He did not mean he was removing all the ads.

I haven’t checked this thread since Monday, but I got an email from Ed asking for the information above (replied to Ed, instead of sending it to TubaDiva as requested above).

I had just opened one of the forums and was trying to scroll down to read the thread titles. I don’t think I clicked on any ads, but it’s conceivable I did so accidentally if they were at the top of the page. If I did it would be the first time, I never click on ads intentionally.

Happened to me last week, and I definitely did not click on any ads.