What the ??? How do they do this magic trick?

Ok, how the heck is this “magic” trick possible?

http://www.speaksafe.com/

Any insight appreciated. This too weird!

-NobleBaron

Oldest trick in the book. If you look carefully, the second bunch of cards contains none of the cards from the first bunch, so no matter what card you picked, it will have been removed.

Both tricks (“A” and “B”) are the same. You pick a card from the first set of six, then they show you five completely different cards. Of course the one you chose was removed, so were all the others!

Consider the “A” trick. The first screen shows:
King of Hearts, Jack of Clubs, King of Spades, Queen of Diamonds, Queen of Clubs, Jack of Diamonds.

When you click the button, it shows:
Queen of Hearts, King of Clubs, Jack of Hearts, Queen of Spades, King of Diamonds.

Aaaahhhh!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Now I feel a little sheepish :smack:

Whenever you see a magic trick and try to figure it out, look for something odd about the way the trick is done. Did you notice that it always comes up with “your card has been removed” ? Why doesn’t it come right out and say “here’s your card” ? Of course now you know why.

Here’s a magic trick on my website
www.1728.com/cards.htm

See if you can figure out how it is done. In this case it is strictly mathematical.
This is a very old trick and must be the second oldest trick in the book.

feels like it is binary math of 0’s and 1’s. 6 sets = 6 bits means the maximum combinations is 64, just as the maximum number that can be calculated with that system.

Yep, when I saw that 63 was the highest number, I knew that by not clicking any of the boxes, the result would be 0.

Yup. And if you want to extend it to cover all ages (well, all likely ages :slight_smile: ) add one more card to go up to 127, but you’ll either need big cards or small type for the numbers. You’re simply converting to binary with the first card the least significant bit, the last card the most significant bit, a check meaning 1 and no check meaning 0.

It’s an online version of of an illusion called “The Princess” card trick.

Heck I knew the SDMB crowd would easily see through that.
Any integer can be produced by summing the powers of 2.
14 = 2[sup]1[/sup] + 2[sup]2[/sup] + 2[sup]3[/sup]
58 = 2[sup]1[/sup] + 2[sup]3[/sup] + 2[sup]4[/sup] + 2[sup]5[/sup]

When the trick is done with cards, you add the numbers in the left hand corner.
If we made a set of “cards” to guess the numbers 1 through 7 they would be:
1 3 5 7

2 3 6 7

4 5 6 7

Eh? I was looking in the directory structure http://www.speaksafe.com/magick/ and saw this:

It smees you dn’ot bleeive in mgaic… ordo you? Smoteiems good i’ts bset to be spectical. Not in tihs csae!

Ok, what kind of code is this, and why is it possible to read it?!

-NobleBaron

It’s not a code, they’re just scrambling the inside letters of all the words. It’s readable because people who read English (or any language) fluently tend to recognize entire words rather than individual letters.

Ahhh, I see. :smack: Thanks Friedo. Yet again, schooled by the SDMB.

Much appreciated :stuck_out_tongue:

NobleBaron

Who is going to tell French Connection United Kingdom before there is some terrible misunderstanding.