What the...? I got a strange note when I was doing a Google search.

“In response to a complaint we received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org.”

I was searching for “beaded curtain” (because Craig Ferguson made it sound dirty, and there’s nothing I like more than learning a new dirty term) when this notice came up. What is this all about? I haven’t seen this before.

It’s because of complaints from Microsoft of certain sites hosting pirated software. Google is removing those sites from their search results.

I don’t quite understand that, either - if I was looking for a site that I could use to get some bittorrent tv shows, Google would remove those results?

So it gives you the URL they blocked anyway? Sounds like annoying legalese to me.

Last time I checked it, they didn’t. I can’t seem to come up with something to force it to happen, so I can’t check, but I believe it shows only the base URL.

In other words, if www.website.com/images/page_to_display.jpg is the URL of what you are searching for, the DMCA notice will only mention website.com.

No Google puts everything in their search engine and removes it if you get a DMCA notice. If no notice is issued to Google they don’t remove it. This is why you can see spotty results as some companies are very protective and others, not so much.

Certain things Google does on its own. Like if you’re searching for thing likely to be pirated, Emule, torrent, Rapidshare, it will not show them in their suggestions as you type into Google. But they will still appear in the results, unless a DMCA notice is filed.