What to do about tight heavy calves?

When I walk it makes my calves feel tight and heavy for a while. They also get tight and heavy at night time, but the tightness is and heaviness is always gone by the time I wake up in the morning.

I never had heart disease, diabetes, peripheral artery disease or anything like that. Also, I’m physically strong with big calf muscles.

Maybe its the way I walk. I tend to lean forward and walk fast.

Maybe stretch them?

Definitely stretch them. Here’s a page on stretching them. I recommend the Straight Leg Calf Stretch. When I do that one, I make it more extreme by raising the front leg and putting it behind the other one, so all my weight is on the stretching leg.

You might provide more context. For example if you start a new exercise program you are going to have problems (wore out, stiff, sore…) until you adapt.

You may have chronic compartment syndrome. I do. If you do, stretching won’t help, unfortunately. Not many options except for surgery. Replacing the insoles in my shoes helped alleviate the pain when walking, to a decent degree. I got these:

If you’d just said your calves felt tight, I’d say sure, try stretches or inserts or new shoes. You said they feel heavy, though, and that says to me you should see your doc. Don’t assume it’s minor just because you’ve had no serious health issues in the past. It may well BE minor, and then you can breathe a sigh of relief.

Since the OP is looking for advice, let’s move this to IMHO.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator