What to do when your cat has Athsma?

My wife and I think one of our cute little siamese attack kittens has athsma. When we are quitet in a room with her we can hear little wheezes coming from her. At first we thought she was just snoring when falling asleep, but then we found that we could hear her wheezing when she wasn’t sleeping. We know she would not do well with an over-the-face cat inhaler… is there any thing we can do aside from getting one of those. Obviously if we have to we will, as we do not want her to suffer… Anecdotes would be much appreciated!

Take her to the vet! She could have a respiratory infection, which could get bad fast. Other possibilities include heart problems. Please have her looked at by a professional.

Me and my youngest just pass my inhaler back and forth.

No, seriously, take kitty to the vet. As brightpenny mentioned, it could be a respiratory infection, and things can get ugly fast if not treated.

With our youngest, it turned out she had allergies (all kinds of allergies, what fun), but she’s healthy, happy, and the allergies are under control today, so it’s not very hard to deal with. When her allergies get bad (caused by dust, harsh cleaners, springtime, etc), she tends to wheeze a little. We had to make a couple of minor changes to accomodate her (switched her food, buy cleaners without harsh chemicals), but it certainly was no big deal. We keep a close eye on her. Her eyes and nose tend to drip a lot when they act up, poor thing.

So, hopefully, it’s not too much cause for alarm, maybe just minor allergies. But do get her checked out, either way, so the vet can prescribe allergy medicine if that’s what it is, and to rule out potentially dangerous problems.

My dad’s cat just takes medication and it seems to work. She’s always had it and she’s still doing ok at 15

Asthma, BTW, not athsma.

–Cliffy

Asthma, BTW, not athsma.

–Cliffy

Get her to the vet! Respiratory infections in kittens are no joke.

We thought our cat had asthma, but it turned out that he doesn’t (we still don’t know why he was coughing, but it stopped as quickly as it started).

Of course, he stopped after we’d ordered the Aerokat unit (cat inhaler) and it wasn’t returnable.

So…if your cat does turn out to have asthma and you need one, I’ve got one new in a box, never used, with two masks (cat and kitten size) that I can make you a good deal on.

I hope your kitty doesn’t have asthma, but if she does and she needs the inhalant chamber, I can help. (We also have an unopened Flovent inhaler that cost us $100, but I’m not sure what the legality is of offering prescription cat meds for sale).

Two of our three cat kids have asthma. Get to a vet. An infection could be ugly. Watching your kitten struggle to breath is very ugly. Both of ours are on prednisone pills instead of the inhaler. It works well for Duffy. Ashleigh is in line for the inhaler.

Kathy

My in-law’s cat has severe allergies and hacks/wheezles badly at times. He sounds horrible when he has a bad attack, as though he’s about to cough out his lungs or keel over. He gets allergy shots that last for a period of time, and also sometimes has to have prednisone pills. Do get the kitten checked, and maybe it’s sibling(s?) too. If it’s an infection it needs treatment until it’s gone, and you need to be sure the other cats don’t have it as well. If it’s asthma/allergies, then the siblings might have it too. I’m not sure if you should just bring in all the kittens or just the wheezing one first.

What do you do when your cat has asthma?
What do you do when your cat has asthma?
What do you do when your cat has asthma,
Early in the morning?

CHORUS:
Mee-yow, and kitty wheezes,
Mee-yow, and kitty sneezes,
Mee-yow, and kitty wheezes,
Early in the morning!

Take her to the vet and let 'em treat her,
Early in the morning!

Please, please report back. I’ve been worrying about that kitten all day. And the other kitten too, since respiratory infections are so contagious.

Prednisone helped our asthmatic cat. Another cat snores super loud due to large tonsils, which can mean infection. (almost said testicles - I was just reading another thread :smiley: )

I’m really astounded by all this. My sister has an asthmatic cat, 12 years old, and she just makes sure he’s comfortable when he has an attack, and pets him until it passes. How do you get a cat to use an inhaler?

Fear not I just got back from the Vet (we had an early morning visit) and he gave us some prednisone and sent us on our way… He said she doesn’t have an infection, but to keep a close eye on her.

Yay! Thanks for reporting back.

My kitty wheezes when she is relaxed or sleeping. I took her in for a dental and got the bloodwork, ECG, temp, resp, etc. all checked before they put her under and they found nothing. They told me that if the cat doesn’t seem bothered, you shouldn’t be either. My cat doesn’t have allergies or asthma or an infection, she just gets really relaxed sometimes since my house is relatively free of things that kill and eat cats. Fortunately, she is rarely relaxed…so I don’t have to listen to it much. It definitely doesn’t affect her activity level.