What to do with one day in Nice?

My university has graciously sent me to Nice for a few days, for a conference. I get about a day, give or take, to do whatever I want. I know nothing about the area, and will probably not be back to these parts for a very long time.

Anything I should absolutely not miss? I’d love to hear any suggestions people have.

So far, what appeared to be friendly local decided to try to take my wallet, but I was too quick for him (I think he’s the first person I can think of who has ever had his hands that deep in my pockets). Joke would have been on him anyway, I have very little cash in my wallet. I usually wear a money belt when I travel, but figured that just a few days at a conference center wouldn’t be a problem. Guess not.

Edit: Oh, and I’m staying very close to the Acropolis.

I’ve only been there in summer and admittedly spent most of my days in Monte Carlo and Cannes. But the Boardwalk was very nice and I kinda liked walking about in the small streets close to it.

Not much, I’m afraid :frowning:

Not sure. I’ve been there several times, but I don’t recall there being any sort of “attractions” to go to. Essentially it’s just a nice harbor city. In general, I’d recommend walking around randomly and seeing what you see, but yeah, I’ve heard that street crime has become a bit much along the South of France in the last few years.

You might consider going to the zoo on Saint-Jean du Cap-Ferrat, which is quite near though I’m not sure what they have in the way of parking (we walked there.)

There’s a marvelous Chagall museum. It’s uphill somewhere. Worth seeking out.

I will be spending two days in Nice, in July. I plan on visiting:

Cathédrale Ste-Réparate
Chapelle de l’Annonciation
Chapelle de la Miséricorde
Cours Saleya
Place Charles Félix: home of Matisse
Fennocchio’s, for ice cream, sorbet, gelato
Musée d’Art Moderne
Palais Lascaris
Chapelle St-Jacques-Jesu
Colline de Château
Place Garibaldi
Promenade des Anglais
Jardin Albert 1er
Musée des Beaux-Arts Jules-Chéret
Opéra
Palais Masséna
Hôtel Negresco
Place Masséna
Monastère de Cimiez
Musée Archéologique
Musée Matisse
Musée du Marc Chagall

And on the third day, a day trip to Monaco.

I spend a week in Nice back in the summer of 1996. The only parts of the city I saw were those lying between the youth hostel and the beach.

I say, sip champagne on a yacht.