What to do with these Ahi Tuna steaks?

I bought a bag of them at CostCo because they were inexpensive compared to the salmon other fish. I grilled some and wasn’t especially impressed. What do I need to do to them to make them tastier?

Sear them rare, slice them thin, and eat them with soy sauce and wasabi.

Overcooking tuna dries out the steak and robs it of any flavor. As Johnny LA says “Cook them rare”. I will grill a 1.5" thick Ahi steak for two to three minutes per side on a hot grill. The interior will still be purple in color.

As far as accompaniments are concerned, I like to use salsas with mangoes or other tropical fruit to impart some sweetness (my wife does not like hot spicy anything) but everyone has their favorites.

I use “Mrs. Dash” seasoning on both sides and sear rare.

I used to get blackened Ahi tuna in a little restaurant in New Orleans that was absolute heaven. Try this recipe - it looks like what I had. Now I gotta get me some tuna!

Send them to me :slight_smile:

Or seriously, only sear them for a brief period of time on both sides. Follow Johnny L.A.'s advice.

bingo!!

Obligatory Alton Brown link: Tuna Loin Recipe. Probably don’t need to cook it on the chimney starter, but it is good.

Make this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pan-Seared-Tuna-with-Ginger-Shiitake-Cream-Sauce-100670 Delicious, and easy.

Ahi tacos…Yum!

Mix 2T of mayo with 1T fresh lemon juice, a big pinch of black pepper and 1 1/2t of hot horseradish. Brush them, grill them 3 minutes per side then brush the remaining sauce mix on top.

Easiest fish prep in the world, and one of my favorites, particularly with tuna and swordfish.

Cut them into vaguely long rectangular chunks, sprinkle them with lots of cracked pepper, and sear them about 20-30 seconds per side in olive oil. Place them on a plate and sprinkle them with salt and chill them.

Make a big salad and include some cooked string beans, cold boiled potatoes and black olives. Slice the chilled tuna into slices and arrange them prettily across the top of this salad and drizzle everything with an olive oil vinaigrette. Mmmm, salad nicoise.

*What shall we do the ahi tuna?
What shall we do the ahi tuna?
What shall we do the ahi tuna?
Ear-lie in the morning!

Sear it rare in a cast-iron skillet!
Ear-lie in the morning!

Blacken it in the Cajun manner!
Ear-lie in the morning!

Cook it over a chimney starter!
Ear-lie in the morning!

Grill it with a mayo dressing!
Ear-lie in the morning!

Ahi tacos would be yummy!
Ear-lie in the morning!

Chunk it up and make a salad!
Ear-lie in the morning!*

another vote for fish tacos here. wrap in foil, season lightly, and cook over a grill or in an oven. add to soft tortillas with salsa, lettuce,a nd tomatoes. add some rice as a side dish and cerveza for beverage and you have a nice dinner

I had a prime, aged, grilled NY strip steak at an Italian restaurant for my birthday, a while back, and they went and ruined it by topping it with a pan sauce or relish of sauteed red peppers, onions, garlic, black olives, parsley, capers, anchovies, tomato paste, lemon and olive oil. It was very good, but the piquant and conentrated sauce was just way overpowering- too sour and bitter for my tastes, to match such a perfect steak… man what a perfectly dry aged steak… it was delicious. Anyways, this pan sauce would seem perfect for a piece of grilled tuna like this, the sauce was very good, just not the best match for a steak, in fact I believe this Italian sauce is really ideal and traditionally used for tuna anyways and they were using it on the beef to be “innovative”.

I’m sure this would work great if you grilled your ahi, or perhaps pan seared it, or “fried” it, and then used the same pan to prepare the sauce. Deconstructing the recipe for this relish/quick pan sauce that I ate, it probably went something like this

Italian Steak Sauce

1/4 -1/2 cup of EVOO
1 large red bell pepper seeded and cut into strips
1 medium onion cut into strips or “half moons”
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
8 calamata or flavorful cured black olives, pitted and finely chopped
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
a pinch of hot red pepper flakes
the juice of a half or whole lemon (to taste)
a small handful or “bunch” of flat leaf parsley finely chopped
two teaspoons of capers

Add the EVOO to the cooking pan and sautee the peppers, onions, and garlic for several minutes until the veg are very soft and sweet, add the olives, tomato paste, anchovy paste, and a pinch of the red pepper flakes- and sautee deglace for a couple of minutes. At the last minute add the parsley and capers, squeeze in the lemon juice to finish. Top your favorite terrestrial or sea steak with this sauce.

I second this recipe. And cooking it rare is key.

I will also sometimes make ceviche out of tuna loin.

You did defrost the fish before you cooked it, right? I find doing it in a panful of water in the sink, with the faucet dripping into the pan to create movement in the water, is the best way to defrost those ahi steaks. You take them out of the outer bag, but don’t take off the plastic wrap around each steak before you do this.

I would only cook ahi more than this for a guest who only likes well-done meat, like my dad or father-in-law.

If you skipped the searing step, you’d have some good sashimi. If you ate it with sushi rice, you’d have sushi.

If you gave a little bit to my Luna or my Katya, you’d have a new friend.

Pardon me, but you have got to be kidding me. When you comment about my instructions being for someone who likes their tuna well-done did you see my reference to a 1.5" thick tuna steak? Three minutes on a side for a 1.5" thick ahi steak, even on a hot grill, is still going to be a rare steak!

That’s not how I read her comment. She would only cook a steak more than that for someone who likes it well done.

Yes. If it were for me, I’d cook it as little as possible.