what to plant in shallow standing water

I’m in South Texas, zone 8. The central a/c drains to a place about 2’ X 2’ at the corner of my house where there’s always a bit of standing water in the summertime. It’s in deep shade.

I’ve thought about just pouring out a few sacks of pea gravel. The soil is very dark and heavy and the gravel would probably stay put. At my last house, the soil was pure sand and the gravel would have vanished in short order.

I’m not a gardener or even remotely into yard work, but it seems like there ought to be something I could EASILY put in that spot that would love the water. Rice, maybe? (J/K) Bamboo would work, but it would soon take over everything. Are there seeds I could toss down in that mini-swamp? Or maybe some tufts of grass? Ferns? I’m a renter, so I’m not going to do anything major, and did I mention I’m not into yard work?

How about mint? I’m not sure they want standing water per se, but they do like moist. Most mint grows quickly and spreads, so put it in a pot. A pot would control moisture level too - just place the pot (with holes in the bottom) in the standing water and the mint will have constant access to water without having to sit in it. Partial shade is probably better for mint than really deep shade, but my money says you’d be fine.

Mint has the benefit of culinary uses and fragrance.

Hyacinths. Or, since you’re in South Texas, Hahcints (that’s approximately how I heard it pronounced in Florida :))

Just be careful they don’t spread - they’re invasive in still or slow-moving water.

Well, you may have enough water for melons, but they will need very fertile soil and a patch of dry land - what is next to the puddle? Can it be planted, do you compost?

Very short Mob informants.

Oh yes! This is exactly what I need! :slight_smile: And I love just standing the pots there. Sooo easy.

But will there be room for the concrete overshoes?

Will water cress grow there? Not only is it pretty (like crowed little lily pads) it’s good to eat.

That would be very nice. It’s standing water, not a cute little creek or anything. I’ll research it.

Taro or cannas, perhaps.

A carnivorous plant, of course!

Sorry, couldn’t resist

Sarracenia. An excellent idea. I grow them outside in zone 7, in neighboring Arkansas. :slight_smile:

Are those pitcher plants? Exactly what I was going to suggest for a wet carnivorous plant, although they do require some light. They’re cool though.

AKA “The American Pitcherplant”. :slight_smile:
They are pretty cool.

Horsetail reed (Equisetum hyemale) would do well. Keeping it in pots (like the mint idea) would probably be best, since it has an invasive reputation. It’s gotten quite popular/trendy as an accent plant.

That is a good idea, too!

I’m off to the nursery today! :slight_smile:

Papyrus did great in an area of our yard in FL that had standing water…

Wow, those are pretty. Reminds me of Jack-in-the-pulpit. And guess what I just learned about them, yesterday? If you find them in the wild (Appalachian mountains) and dig down under them just a little way you’ll find small potatoes. Sounds unbelievable to me but they swear to it.

Try A. Officinalis. When they are grown, you can harvest the roots and make your own marshmallows.

If the water is there almost all the time there are some good iris on aquatic plant site such as LiveAquaria.com. If it is mostly just damp more common iris may thrive.

Cat tails?