What tourist sites in your own city have you never visited?

Those are relatively new, so that’s understandable. They are definitely worth visiting.

I live in Chicago and have been to almost every major museum and and sports venue and other tourist sites, with the notable exception of the Planetarium. But I will admit that most of the times when I visit those places, it is to take out-of-town visitors there.

I’ve been to almost all the sites you mentioned. But I haven’t been in any of the sports stadiums, except for the baseball game I saw when I was 10. Nor have I been to the Christmas Story House. And I’ve photographed the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, but didn’t go inside.

I’ve seen pretty much all of the major Chicago attractions. I haven’t been to the Brookfield Zoo since I was a little kid and wasn’t living in the area, though.

I lived in the DC area for two years, and I also haven’t been inside the Washington Monument. I was in Washington just last month and decided I would rectify that situation. Then I learned that it was closed for renovation. :frowning:

I’ve never been to the Football Hall of Fame, 30 minutes to the south. Or to the Christmas Story House, 30 minutes to the north.
I like football and love A Christmas Story but eh.

I’ve seen the Christmas Story House and I’m not sure if it was a positive or negative experience. The adjacent gift shop was surreal as it was housed in a completely normal suburban neighborhood, much weirder than the actual house which was simply time warped to the same neighborhood from 80 something years ago.

Had I known about the exterior to the RnR HoF I would have also taken a picture but not gone in. I have been to the Museum of Art which looks similar in places but did not bring my camera unfortunately.

I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I’ve never been to the Royal Yacht Britannia. More importantly, I’ve never been to Holyrood Palace.

I have done Edinburgh Castle and a lot of other tourist stuff though.

I’ve been to the Planetarium, but only for work. I’ve never actually visited it as a visitor. I also don’t think I’ve ever been to the Field Museum except for a college dance. It’s possible I’ve been there in grammar school, though, but I have no memory of it.

So, technically, I guess I’ve been to all the main tourist spots, but those two I was there for other reasons than to enjoy the exhibits.

In my defense I have only lived in Sarasota for two years.

I haven’t been on Seattle’s Great Wheel. Though I’ve been to the Space Needle (last time was 20 or more years ago) I’d like to visit it now that it’s been remodeled and there’s a brand new glass floor. But tickets are over thirty bucks and it’s hard to justify spending that much money. I also haven’t been on the tour boat ride out to Tillicum Village on Blake Island though I’d always thought that would be nice. Some folks from local tribes share some of their culture and there’s a salmon dinner, too. If there’s time to explore the island a bit, that would be great as well.

The battle green of Lexington even though I worked in Lexington for 24 years. Plymouth Rock. Bunker Hill monument. Foxboro Stadium. I’ve never been to Salem. I happen to be walking by the Old North Church last year so I poked my head in but was there less that 15 seconds.

Oh, man, you gotta go to Salem. Evem if you don’t care for the half dozen With Museums, you can still see the Peabody-Essex Museum, the Old Custom House, the House of the Seven Gables, Salem Willows Park, the Friendship, and the most overlooked attraction of all, Salem Pioneer Village.

Of course, several of the witchy things are worth seeing – The Witchy memorial, the Witch House, the old Cemetary, and the Witch museum on Salem Green, which is arguably the most historically accurate of the bunch.

In the San Jose area, I haven’t been to either the Happy Hollow Zoo or the Children’s Discovery Museum.

I finally got around to visiting Gilroy Gardens last weekend to take pics of the holiday “Gardens @ Night” light display. It was kinda meh for me; nice enough, but really expensive to park and get in…not nearly as good as the Global Winter Wonderland at Great American a couple of years ago.

I went to the Ponce de Leon Lighthouse/museum when I was in the area. I thought it was pretty neat.

Relative to something like the Air & Space Museum, perhaps, but the MLK Jr. memorial has been open for 7 years and the African American museum has been open for more than 2 years. That’s plenty of time for someone who has lived a 20-minutes-or-less drive from the DC line for the past 5.5 years (and who goes downtown fairly regularly). :slight_smile:

Lots of places here in Hawaii, especially because they’re on separate islands. Looking at a few lists of Oahu (where I live) attractions, I’ve never been (and never plan to visit), Diamond and Kokohead, and Waimea and Manoa Falls. I haven’t been to Waikiki in years and avoid even driving through as much as possible.

When my ex and I went up the Waialua River to see the Fern Grotto on Kauai after Hurricane Iniki in 1992, there were two ferries, one with Japanese tourists and one with mostly white tourists (we were the only locals). Since I’m Japanese/Okinawan and even though my ex was local born Chinese, she was often mistaken for Japanese, even by Japan nationals, everyone on our ferry and the other ferry gave us a look like: “Aren’t you on the wrong boat?”.

When we got to the grotto, instead of being lush green, it was brown and scraggly, and the guide said it was because of a fungus. I quietly asked the guide if that was true, she said no, it was because of the hurricane, but they don’t tell the tourists that! :stuck_out_tongue: Bad publicity and all.

I’ve pulled aside some other tour guides and have gotten the ‘real story’ because I’m local! :cool:

I lived in Los Angeles for 37 years and never went to Disneyland. Or ever wanted to. I always felt that I knew so much about it that the real thing would be a disappointment. Or a bore.

Can’t think of any, but then we’ve always explored our environs thoroughly wherever we’ve lived or visited for any length of time.

I’ve been to the cathedral (and pretty much every other church), but I haven’t climbed the cathedral tower due to fear of heights.

I only visited the Atomium after I had lived in Brussels for 23 years. It was underwhelming.