What unusual cars have you seen lately?

Really nice car, Da Toad! When they ran well, they were known to run forever!! Congrats and ENJOY that!!

knarf , that Corvair pickup is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. Thanks for the link.

I’m surprised so many of you consider the Toyota Prius to be unusual. They’re fairly common around here. Our neighbor has one, and someone I work with parks theirs right by my car. I also see Honda Insights all the time.

But then I guess we are a bunch of atheistic hippie pinko commie treehuggers compared to the rest of the country. :smiley:

Today on the 22 west between Haster and the 605 I saw a red c.1962 Oldsmobile Cutlass F85. A couple of blocks away from my home I saw another red one at a restoration shop.

I gotta tell ya, it’s fun looking for uncommon cars. :slight_smile:

(1) A white Roll Royce station wagon (not sure if that term is used in the U.S. - an estate?) with a metal roof rack of the kind that is bolted to the roof, rather than clipped onto the gutters

(2) A van with a similar layout to the Messerschmidt link of a few posts back - a flatbed van, with a little drivers cabin up front, so narrow it is impossible to move the elbows away from the body, and the cabin (and thus the steering wheel) is centred in the chassis, so to drive it would feel unusual.

The bloke across the road chugs up the way in his Lada often.

I saw a MG all painted up like a giant Union Jack the other day. It was goooooooovy baby.

But the most unusual was a 1923 Alvis at the bach the other day. It was sooooooooooooo cute.

Last week, I saw a rusted-out Detomaso Pantera heading southbound on I-35 from Kansas City.

Today I saw a dark red 1937 Chevy coupé. Looked like it was rodded, or being rodded. It had mis-matched chrome wheels, wires in back and stars up front.

Also, a 1958(?) Corvette convertible. Beautiful restoration. Orange on white.

Classy!!! I love those old coupes!! The wheels sound interesting, but then, there are lots more choices nowadays for wheels than ever before (larger theft ratio, too)!!!

Well, I guess they’re not uncommon where Johnny L.A. is from, but when I saw a Ferrari, last week, it struck me as uncommon. Of course, that was the same week that there was a Bentley parked across the street (with the driver waiting patiently on the sidewalk for his employer), and I also saw a Lamborghini pass by. Sorry, I don’t know what model it was. Today, I saw a Dodge Prowler tooling along.

There’s a car in Baltimore County that has dozens of Barbie Doll heads glued to it. The last time I saw it, it was parked outside a book store on Loch Raven blvd.
Creepy…

Cool. I put a severed “Barbie” head on the aerial of my 911 in response to all of the cutesy little balls people were putting on theirs. :smiley:

I miss that car.

Not long ago, I saw a 2000 or so Mustang painted neon blue…and not just any paint, spray paint. The didn’t even bother to tape of the windows are anything, so it was on teh windows and the lights and stuff. It was terrible

Man, I saw a really neat oldtime sports car the other day. Been meaning to look it up. Maybe some of you might be able to give me some leads.

Let’s see, it was a really low, 2-seater, hardtop, with majorly curvy fenders both front and rear. Its doors were hinged in the back. The back, from the rear of the roof to the rear bumper including the reat window, was one constant angle (hope that makes sense). The grille was a vertical oval/ellipse, with parallell chrome bars running vertically.

Very little chrome otherwise. The fenders REALLY protruded bulbously to the sides.

Any ideas?

I saw a bright red Lotus Esprit doing 85 on the highway last week. Looked to be fairly new, too. There are very few exotic car dealerships in the area so any European sports car is a rare sighting.

I recently saw a real Mini. I thought the new ones were small until I realized exactly how freaking tiny the originals are! Yikes, it would fit inside the new one!

In February my wife and I went on a cruise and stopped in the Bahamas. The weirdest part was seeing a Honda Civic that was not sold in the US, it was some kind of hatchback/wagon thing. But it looked just like a Honda on the inside. There were bunches of cars that I assume are very common in Europe, but I had never seen them before. I can’t think of any of the nmaes at the moment, of course. And Toyota apparently sells the Lexus ES300 as a Toyota elsewhere, cause I saw one with “Toyota” on the flank.

There was a Studebaker Hawk (I think, maybe a President?), by where I used to work. And one day it was parked in the corner with the front end smashed up to the windshield. Oops.

I saw a Bricklin a month or so ago. First time in many years I’ve seen one of those.

http://www.bricklin.org/MembersCarsF.htm

That sounds really interesting. I hope someone can identify it, and maybe even post a link to a photo.

I like the originals. There’s a dealer up in the Valley someplace that restores them. Kinda pricey, though – $10,000 to $20,000 IIRC. I understand the British Motor Heritage Trust is selling new body shells made on the original tooling. Cool.

I work about a half-mile from the Pentagon so I see routinely see vehicles that would be out of the ordinary to lots of people. I see a black Volvo 122 pretty much every afternoon when I’m at the bus stop to go home. At least I think it’s a 122; it’s black, it’s old, it’s a Volvo and it’s a four-door sedan.

Tuesday, there was [url=“http://www.sierrascooterscoop.com/images/mailedD0.jpg”]something like this in the garage here and that afternoon the bus I was on to go home was passed by a Humvee troop transport.

Dinsdale- Sounds like an old Jag, maybe or possible an old Benz?

The other day, a Plymouth Superbird went firing down the road. It was painted primer black and I don’t know if it was “real” or not, but it sure sounded nice.

I may be mistaken, but I believe these cars were running over 200 mph on ovals back in the early 70’s. I think that is damn impressive. I’ve always wanted one! (but doubt seriously I’ll ever get one)

This weekend I drove from the SF bay area to Seattle. It was a major league old, odd car trip.
In no particular order

1. Mid thirties hot rod.
  2. Porsche 550 Spyder (real rare)
  3. Porsche 356 Normal
  4. Porsche 928 convertable!
  5. XKE coupe
  6. A 50 vintage Ford pickup (F100?) towing a matching trailer made from another matching pickup truck bed. Everything painted to match.