What unusual cars have you seen lately?

racinchikki: When I was a kid a neighbour had three Hudsons. One was painted in non-period metallic blue and was his daily driver. The others were unrestored, but at least one of them was driveable.

**SuperNelson]/b]: When those antenna balls started to get especially annoying a few years ago, I took the head off of a Barbie-type doll and stick it on the antenna of my 911.

Just a bit of trivia: there was a mini-series back in the 70’s called Wheels about the car industry (it was based on a novel by an author whose name I forget) and it used a modified version of this car. After the series was over, numerous calls were made by viewers who wanted one!

Gopher, I think…you had a alien encounter there! How downright spooky. You must be very observant, though; most us notice the cars, but not the licenses.

RoadKiller, Novas make great little hot rods! Nice clean lines, and easy to work on!

SuperNelson, yeah…memorable, no doubt. I bet they just did that so they could find it in a parking lot easily! LOL

Mr. Blue Sky, that is one gorgeous car! Thanks for the pic! Red is better, though! LOL

I recall that series; its still shown on either Discovery or A&E channel from time to time, and it was very well done!!!

I wish I could post a pic of my 53 MG for you here, but alas, no digital camera yet!

I don’t know what it’s called, but I saw this little blue car that looks like someone took the cocpit of a small, one man plane, stuck a wheel in the bottom front, and added two more to the sides. Can’t imagine the mileage would be great, and I’d never venture to take it out on the highway, but it would be something interesting to have. This guy was obviously secure with his masculinity (I do live in the state of insanely large pick ups).

El Elvis, I’ve seen pictures of those, but don’t know what they’re called, either. Not highway driving material, that’s for sure!

Now, if the driver of that thing had on a pink shirt, it would be certain that he was secure in his manhood!

Could it have been This or this?

Actually, I imagine the mileage WOULD be great. Performance, comfort and safety not so much. Your describing what is essentially an enclosed motorcyle. There are even some electric cars that fit that description.

Like the Sparrow
Except the wheel setup is reversed from what you described.

Every day on the way to work I see:

A citroen DS

3 microbusses

a toyota Prius

a right drive MG hatchback

a woody

and a porche 356

Every day, though not always in the same place.

Then again, this is the Monterey Peninsula… It was strange to see a porche at all in north Florida.

'57 Chevys are hardly unusual; they’re so common they’re cliched. Get 2 classic cars together, and one of 'em will probably be a '57 (or '55) Chevy.

My unusual car of the moment: a red-with-white-top '62 Chrysler Imperial convertible. Although it is fairly rare, that’s not why I consider it unusual; the unusual part is that it is the most hideously ugly car I’ve ever seen in person (and that includes the two '58 Edsel sedans that live around here). Niftiest taillights ever, but the front end makes the baby Jesus cry. You really have to walk around and look at it up close to truly appreciate that headlight design. Oh, and apparently it has a freakish oval steering wheel, too.

[sub]I want it.[/sub]

Mine was dark brown metallic - not an AMX, just a V8 3 speed on the floor. My first new car after getting out of the Army in 73. I loved it and drove it for 17 years - over 140k miles. Wish I still had it.

Last night I saw a yellow hotrod that looked like it was based on a 30s Ford, except it had a Chevy emblem painted on the rear window. I’m not sure what it was - did Chevy make a similar coupe? The license plate was “30”, and it had a hideous silver grill that looked like the one on the pimpmobile/time-machine in Goldmember.

Also saw a beautiful maroon/black Citroen 2CV yesterday.

I saw the Mystery Machine down on Hawthorne Street (shopping district) last week. A real, VW van, painted the same colors, labeled, and everything. It was for sale, too.

I got out of there damned fast, because if I ran into those freaky crime-solving kids my ass was grass.

Sc4, Chevy did make a similar coupe!

It’s not too unusual, and I see it every day in my garage. I don’t know who took the pictures or how they got on this website, but I know it is my car by the little covers on the headlights. (They are from a 1972 VW “Bug”)

http://www.studebakercars.net/gallery/year.asp?Year=1962&Model=GT%20Hawk&IMAGENAME=1962_hawk_gt.jpg http://www.studebakercars.net/gallery/year.asp?Year=1962&Model=GT%20Hawk&IMAGENAME=1962_hawk_gt._2.jpg

Probably the rarest one I’ve seen lately was an old Corvair Pickup, like this one -

http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/FCart/lgfiles/ProtoRamp3_lg.jpg

I saw a bright yellow Super Seven (I think) a month ago and said “Aww, how cuuuute!” to disgusted stares from the males in the car with me. Saw it again today; guess it must be local.

I haven’t taken the Mustang out this year yet - it’s been warm, but not really top-down weather.

Today on the 405 north: A navy blue '49 Pontiac with a white convertible to and an illuminated Indian head hood ornament. “Silver Streak” in chrome on the front fenders.