What Video Games Are We Playing - Spring 2014 Edition

SWTOR and Kerbel Space Program on the PC and teaching my daughter Skyrim and Forza Horizons on the Xbox.

I’m currently between Diablo 3 and FTL.

In D3 I’m starting to get into hardcore, regular D3 seems too easy until you get to Torment 2.

In FTL I’m enjoying the new expansion and just recently unlocked the stealth cruiser. I like how you have to depend more on evasion and the stealth drive to avoid damage.

Pretty much the only game I’ve been playing for the past year is Civilization IV; 1300 hours and counting. (yes I have friends :D)

Still playing Team Fortress 2. Mann Vs. Machine is just too much fun!

Very nice, but I’m not rushing ascended armour. In fact only my Huntsman is a 500 lvl crafter ATM. I do have 2 precursors, so I think I’ll work on Juggernaut since I don’t have a 2-handed Legendary yet. I’m running low on skill points because I haven’t played too much lately.

I’m not rushing it myself, it’s more of a personal target to go for whilst playing the game. The cost of basic mats is frustrating, though, so it’s very much a long term goal.

Guild Wars 2, same story here. I’m in the mid-400s in a couple of crafting categories, but it is going to be long and expensive to reach 500. It’s a background goal that I chip away at, but otherwise there are plenty of other shinies to play with.

I love the new account-wide dye/wardrobe mechanic. I’m spending way too much time now just trying to unlock skins and play dress-up with my toons.

I picked that up based on the previous thread about it here. Only got as far as starting the tutorials before I got swept up into AC4 but it’ll probably be my next gaming project or close to it.

Playing Dayz Stand Alone and the mod a lot still. Well over 150hrs between both(what can I say, I loves me a running simulator :smiley: ) and also Arma III Battle Royale MOD.

Around that I’ve recently replayed the **Uncharted **series and the first two Batman games.

Got Borderlands II in the wings waiting to go.

Just finished X-COM Enemy Uknown, TW Shogun 2. I was playing **DayZ **but got bored pretty quick and BF4. Tropico 5 will be out soon, looks pretty good.

I played a bit of Battlefield 4 and Titanfall, but I’ve mostly been in Civ V.

I’m on an old school kick - finished Doom a few weeks ago, now I’m on Doom 2, I think Heretic will be next.

I picked this up on a Steam sale a while ago but haven’t spent quality time with it yet. It looks like a lot of fun, like a simulator of the Iron Eagle movie.

A bump for the post-Steam Sale era (I suppose it’s not spring any longer but…)

Finished Watch Dogs the other day. I liked it although I like the game genre as a whole and so wasn’t huffy about “Like GTA but with…” I thought it had enough unique bits to set it apart in the “open world modern crime” family of games. The plot wasn’t anything great and, like many of these games, felt like it went on too long. I think the issue is that the chapters are too short. You’ll have a goal like “Rescue the girl from the warehouse” and to do that, you first need to hack a system in some office to get the warehouse location. Ok, fine. But then it always gets stretched with junk like “Oh, the uplink is dead so now find three satellite dishes” and “the file was encrypted so find this guy who…” blah blah blah. It starts feeling ridiculous and I really think if they just made getting through the office take three times longer it would make for a better plot than adding three contrivances just to pad game time. That’s not just Watch Dogs but a general complaint about gaming these days. Anyway, I’ll give it a B+. If I didn’t live in the Chicago area, I’d probably give it a B.

Started playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. It’s a nicely done game, looks pretty and voiced in an appropriately Transformer-y way. Since you’re still on Cybertron, everyone transforms into futuristic looking vehicles rather than semi-trailers and VW bugs. I’m not versed enough in Transformers lore to get into how “accurate” it is but it seems like if you’re a fan then this should be a fun experience (so far). I’m not in love with the shooting mechanics which are serviceable but not really satisfying. I’m also not thrilled about how often it has you switch characters; in a few hours of play time I’ve been Bumblebee, Optimus, Cliffjumper and Jazz. Others might dig that aspect more but I like sticking with one person (or robot as the case may be).

Mostly playing Elder Scrolls Online, and I’ve recently started playing 7 Days to Die. Having a blast with both, although 7DtD’s physics managed to piss me off the other day (of course, it is still alpha).

My Rift guild finally finished disintegrating just in time for the Steam summer sale, so I picked up Portal 2 and Borderlands 2. Once I’m tired of those, I also have Civ 5, Tomb Raider a few other goodies queued up.

Usually playing 4-5 games at any given time.

My main one right now is Batman Arkham Origins, which, as I knew I would, I’m loving.

Other, smaller games I’m playing here and there are Valiant Hearts, Bully, Hitman Blood Money, Dynasty Warriors 8, and Dead Rising 2 (all for the first time).

I just finished playthroughs of Dishonored and Far Cry III, and am playing Divinity: Original Sin and Just Cause II. Both are fun so far; I really like the mobility of zipping around on a grappling hook in the jungle in JC II after walking on foot through one all the time in FC III.

Playing Dishonored and Far Cry III at the same time did give me some trouble; their controls are very similar, but in Dishonored pressing the mouse wheel brings up the weapon/power menu and in Far Cry III it throws a grenade, so I kept reflexively throwing a grenade at the oddest times. Kind of awkward when you are trying to sneak up on an outpost.

I beat Typing of the Dead Overkill last weekend. The final boss was a little annoying but I enjoyed the rest of the game a lot. I want to unlock Hardcore mode and try that, but I think I need to beat the game on the higher difficulty to do that. The #1 thing that can screw you up is if you start typing the word of a zombie thats not actually closest to you, then you’re pretty much guaranteed to take damage. Or typing a word and then a grenade gets thrown at you.

I just got back into Skyrim, trying to play a Sword + Spell character, but I’m having a hard time of it. I got to a Dwarf ruin in the Mage questline, and I just couldn’t get past the Dwarven spheres. I keep wondering what causes spells to get more powerful, as my summoned Flame Atronach way out damages my Ice spikes. I was hoping there would be a Frost Atronach, because I was trying to go with an ice magic theme.

I finished Divinity: Original Sin, maybe a bit too hastily. There was still quite a bit to do but I wanted to see the ending. After that I’ve dabbled in various games, both F2P and stuff from my huge Steam library, but nothing seems to stick. We are having a bit of a heat wave and trying to play anything more exciting than solitaire makes me actually sweat here in my crappy too-warm no-AC apartment which might be a factor.

Maybe I should just grab a book and go outside to read or go for a swim or something, plenty of time to play computer games when cold weather returns.

There is, you just need higher conjuration skill for it.