What Was So Bad About Napolean

You can debate Napoleon pro and con, but if you’re asking why he was villified, keep in mind that “History is written by the winners” and propaganda tends to go into overdrive during wars. Napoleon not only conquered just about all of Europe (fighting England about the whole time), he then was doing pretty well on his surprise comeback tour. So naturally at the time, especially among English speakers, he was public enemy number one, even after the war was over, given his first comeback

There’s also the issue that he was to some degree a symbol of the French Revolution, and Kings and Dukes and the like didn’t really want to see those kinds of royal head-chopping ideas floating about Europe.

And CalMeacham, maybe getting off-topic, but if you think War and Peace makes Napoleon out to be an ogre, you should read Resurrection, about a travesty of justice in Russia under the Czars, and ask yourself if the Czars were any better? (actually the book isn’t that great as literature, so maybe don’t spend the time to read it. But do ask yourself if the Czar was any better). I don’t think all the sailors in C.S. Forester’s novels were really well-treated volunteers, whose trips to India and other places involved meeting with fellow-citizens grateful for the chance to be part of the Free and Fair Association of Independent States Aligned with Britain for the Common Good.

Personally, I though Tolstoy did make Napoleon out to be petty, small-minded and egotistical, but Tolstoy showed all of his characters’ pettiness and egotism (and occaisonal more redeeming qualities, too). And he made strong statements that no one person was really in control of events – that you couldn’t blame Napoleon more than the ones actually pulling triggers, doing the looting, etc.

Pfft, a guy tries to conquer the world twice, and he’s suddenly labelled as bad.

I have this poster hanging in my cube. My wife attended one of Tufte’s seminars, and the poster was handed out to participants as a bonus. She picked up half a dozen or so that were left laying around by people who didn’t want theirs. Very cool.

And do I really have to be the first person to respond specifically to this in the OP?

It’s not clear whether the OP puts any stock in this, but for the benefit of anybody else reading along, Nostradamus’s “predictions” aren’t worth dick.

…half a dozen?.. people didn’t want theirs?.. :eek:

You wouldn’t happen to still have a spare one, would you?

Napoleon, Napoleon, they thought him quite a joke!
“Hey, take a slant at the little pill”
Was a line of chatter that they used to spill—
But they couldn’t hold Napoleon when he started in to scrap:
He was five feet high but he was one tough guy,
And I take after Nap!

—Jerome Kern

Sorry, gave 'em out as gifts.

I’m glad to see that no one yet has given the drive-by response that Napolean was bad because he was French.

Especially since Napolean was Corsican.

Since nobody seems to have mentioned it yet (and I confess I haven’t read it), the classic summation of views on Napoleon is surely Geyl’s Napoleon: For and Against.

Plus, he overthrew quite a few monarchs, and tried to install family members on the thrones. Not something that would endear him to most in that age.