What Was the Best Western Movie Ever Made?

oooh, oooh, i totally forgot about little big man! great book too, and the sequel was great, as well.

*Originally posted by bup *

I don’t know but their is mystic(sp) about them going west and finding adventure.

And everybody wants to be one(a cowboy) even Kid Rock(funny thought could you see John Wayne’s face when Kid Rock came riding into town. :smiley: )

Dustmagnate,

Yea, I remember that line. I also liked it when he shot at the guys feet that was on crutches and when he full grown and was running through the dessert in his diaper holding that teddy bear. Great Movie.

Hey Wildest Bill-- buy your favorite movie here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6305837562/imdb-adbox/107-9583948-8635746
(IMDB/astin/‘Evil…’/buy here!)

Just bought it. Just to clarify it is “one” my most favorites. “Caddy Shack” has got to be my favorite movie.

I like it(“Evil Roy Slade” better than “Blazing Saddles” though.

Thanks again that was very nice of you. Can’t wait to let my kids see it. Over $4 for shipping :eek: no wonder Amazon.com is having trouble.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is my vote also. It runs the gamut of emotions and has a great soundtrack by Ennio Morricone.

Actually, goboy Seven Samurai probably is the best western ever made.

respectfully, good/bad/ugly fans, i sat thru it recently (just barely), and all i can remember is lee van cleef, in full closeup, grimacing and twirling his mustachios. geez, whatta boring movie. plus, all the italian who play mexicans look a lot like my uncle guido (yes, i have an uncle guido). i guess that part did make me laugh.

The Wild Bunch. The final shootout is legendary.

Ride The High Country. Aging train robbers pull off one last job. Beatiful cinematography. Covers similar territory as…

Unforgiven. A wonderful coda to the western. A summing up & deconstruction of the genre. Has there been a decent one since?

Cheers,
Hodge

DocDaneeka, the good looking blonde guy you mentioned was Terence Hill, and can be seen in other humorous westens such as “They Call Me Trinity”, and “Trinity Is Still My Name.” I also seem to remember him in a non western called “Mister Billion” or something like that. It was the Blue eyes that makes me remember.

Originally posted by TKD2DAN

Yea, that’s it. That guy was awesome thanks for bringing that movie up doc and TKD2dan. One of my favorite parts was when he was holding a saddle over his shoulder, would let go, draw, slap the bad guy and then put his hand back on the saddle horn before the saddle would drop. Too cool.

Who would make a movie about a second rate chain of motels? Or Why?

But to answer the OP, I guess it would be kinda like a travelogue, showing the different motels. As I remember the Best Western chain, they - for the most part - weren’t cookie-cutter properties, like Holiday Inn or Howard Johnson’s.

Um… Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid anyone?

Paul Newman and Robert Redford were great as the title characters. Well written, witty, and intelligent.
Who denies that the scene where they’re trapped on the cliff is a classic?

(after arguing about jumping instead of fighting it out)
Sundance: I can’t swim!
Butch: Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill ya!

Ride the High Country

I have several faves.

1. Tombstone
  2. Young Guns II
  3. Young Guns (the second one was just WAY better. “Yessir…I have my scars…”)
  4. The Cowboys

Actually, I need to put The Cowboys back at the top because I really, really loved that movie.

1. The Shootist (hmmm…maybe this belongs at the top. Fergit it…they’re both Duke flicks…they’re a tie for No. 1)

2. Outlaw Josie Wales.

I’m not really a western film afficianado, but living in a house with 4 males, I am rarely given a choice.

Silverado recycles all the tropes and does so with both infectious energy and some serious acting chops.

The Magnificent Seven did it first, with less dramatic skill but even more panache.

High Noon is both the definitive “classic” western and the introduction of he “anti-hero” to the western genre.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was charming, witty, and fun. It might rely too much on the charms of its leads, but who the hell cares. It was fun.

Unforgiven takes that trend to its ultimate, deconstructing the tropes Silverado embraced. Eastwood gives one of his best performances ever.

The Outlaw Jose Wales is probably Eastwood’s best “straight” western. Actually, I would argue that in its own way it’s as much a deconstruction of the genre as Unforgiven.

But the best western of all time is the Sergio Leone film that left his Dollars trilogy in the dust: Once upon a Time in the West
Other stuff:
I’m not sure I would really categorize Little Big Man as a western, though it certainly has the proper setting. Great movie, though. If we include it, then I will also nominate Jeremiah Johnson as a great movie set in the old west. I also remember Call me Nobody fondly, though I don’t think it is on a par with the best westerns ever. It certainly was fun, though. (Oh, and Terence Hill was also in the atrocious Supercop, IIRC.)

Does anyone remember The Long Riders? I’m not a huge Western fan, but I remember seeing this one when I was about 15 and thinking it was pretty damn good. Maybe I’ll have to rent it and see it again…

El Dorado kicked some major booty.

Marc

Let me pull up a chair and ante into the pot.

When I was younger, and they used to make westerns, I used to get the call to be in a number of “oaters.” I could ride western, knew a number of the wranglers who handled the horses on the films, and they knew what I could do. So with that in mind,

I open with:

1. “My Darling Clementime” perfect script, perfect gun fight, believable characters and filming that is almost flawless.
    You can have your Val Kilmers, Dennis Quaids, Jason Robards and even Kirk Douglases as “Doc Holiday,” but give me Victor Mature. He had one perfect role in his life and this was it. And Fonda as Earp, You believed him in this film. You really did. Walter Brennen was great as the villian.

2. “Red River” I was in three of Duke Wayne’s films in my life, and when I knew him, he used to say this was his favorite. I heard that depending on who he was talking to he would change his opinion. I agree with him on this one. It was wonderfully done. It captured the agony and the companionship of what it was to be on a cattle drive and survive and not survive so well. Brennen again was wonderful as was Mongomery Clift and (I think) John Ireland.

3. “Magnificent Seven” pure myth but wonderfully done none the less. Talk about the perfect blend of the perfect characters…Yes, I know snobs like to point out it was the remake of the “Seven Samari” but look at the characters. The western was better: Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn and so forth. Each doing his unique best. Do not talk about your Itallian westerns either. This film had a soul. Even the death scenes were to die for.

4. “Judge Roy Beem” a bizzare film to be sure, but wonderfully done. Better acting by Newman in this film than either “Hombre” or “Butch Cassidy,” and much, much better than his “Left-Handed Gun.” I liked it better than the earlier Cooper/Brennen version of the only law west of the Pecos.

5. “Cowboy” with Glenn Ford, Jack Lemmon, and Anthony Quinn. This is a relatively obscure film. Too thoughtful perhaps. Something of a more modern version of “Red River” in a weird sort of way. Very real with comic touches.

6. “Silvarado” one of three in this batch I was in. You see me trying to handle a rearing horse early on and again in a town scene and twice in saloon scenes. In spite of my presence, I like this one. The story dates back to the old days when they made “real” westerns: ones with plots. And the actors are wonderfully cast. Kosner, Mr. Dunahey, Ms. Hunt, Klien, Danny Glover and even Mr. Cleese: They were all great. Great shoot outs too.

7. “Ride the High Country” Mr. Peckenpah accomplished with subtly in this what he tried to do later in the “Wild Bunch.” (I got to die in that one). Beautifully shot too. And he got Joel McRae and Randolph Scott at just the right points in their lives. I always felt this was the film “High Noon” should have been. Remember that final fight. That was a gunfight.

8… “Barbarosa” another quirky little film. Yet in every sense a very good western. Earlier I talked about Victor Mature having one great role in him. Maybe this one was Willie Nelsons. And Gary Busey always turns in good performances: weird, but good.

9,10,11. (three way tie) “The Plainsman” Cooper being Cooper at his best, “Pat Garret and Billy the Kid” Kristopherson was a bit off for the part, but Coburn was great. (I was always upset they cut the opening scene where Garret was gunned down- would have loved to see the director’s cut of this one), and “Cheyenne Social Club,” Stewart and Fonda together being fun.

Other favorites that did not quite make the list. “Sunset” with Bruce Willis and James Garner. “Son of Pale Face” with Bob Hope, Roy Rogers and Jane Russel. “Honkers” (I think that was the name of the film. It had Glen Ford and another actor [William Holden?] trying to round up mustangs), “Gunfight at the OK Corral” with Lancaster and Douglas.

Well, pard, you’ve seen my hand. I think I take my chips and head for the door, if you don’t mind, course. Sorry about taking so much of your time.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you. The main character played by Gary Cooper was quite the opposite of the anti-hero. Here was a man who had brought law & order to a western town and made it a decent place for people to live. On his last day as sheriff, and the day he gets married, he learns that some bad guys he put away are coming to get him on the noon train.

What does he do?

<spoiler space>

At the encouragement of the townsfolk and his wife he decides to high tail it out of town. But on his way out he realizes that him and his wife would be cut down in the open prarie. He goes back to town and attempts to enlist the aid of the townsfolk. Each person he asks either say no or back out before the crucial moment.

The funny thing was the townsfolk had aided him in the past when the town was threatened. But now because the threat is against the sheriff alone they don’t feel the need to put themselves at risk. One of the most powerful moments of the movie comes in the scene where he’s trying to get help from a church congregation. Just when he thinks he’s going to get help a townsperson speaks up about it being the sheriffs fight. These townsman allowed themselves to be talked out of doing the right thing.

Gary Cooper was the very epitome of a heroic figure in High Noon. It was a fine fine movie. But then you didn’t disagree that it was fine. :slight_smile:

Marc

Yep, I liked Silverado and the Gibson/Garner Maverick, and I give high marks also to High Noon, especially for the moral struggle portrayed by Grace Kelly and the tension induced by the cuts to the clock face.

But my two all-time favorite westerns are both John Wayne pictures: Rio Bravo and The Shootist, with the Shootist being the best.