What was the proportion of NSDAP members in the German Wehrmacht?

In this thread about Nazi veterans, I commented on the proportion of Nazis in the Wehrmacht during WW2:

I’m really interested in reliable figures, but either my google skills are too weak, or they just don’t exist (but there have to be at least estimations, I guess).

Does anybody know online/offline sources for this question? A bonus would be a detailed account regarding the different units and ranks of the Wehrmacht troops.

Just to point out*, even if we get accurate numbers of NSDAP membership, those are not accurate indicators of being Nazis - people agreed with the Nazis on most ideology without automatically becoming party members, and in other branches at least, people often joined the Nazi union group (Lehrerbund - teachers organisation etc.) in order to keep their job during lay-offs, but without believing the whole ideology.

My general impression, for example from reading von Gersdorff memories, was that the officers of the Reichswehr were firmly apolitical - although with a conservative- rightwing tendency in ideology, they refrained from participating or making statements about politics during the turmoil years.
Afterwards, a number of officers still belonged to the nobility and came from a long military tradition and considered themselves professional soldiers. Their shock at the atrocities they witnessed on the Eastern front was one of the two major reasons for the people from the Kreisauer Kreis to contemplate breaking their personal oath and try to assassinate Hitler. (The other major reason was that his complete ineptitude in military leadership lead to thousands of German soldiers - for which the officers did feel responsible - being killed needlessly).

• I’m sure you know that, but not everybody else might.

Yes, I do, but indeed I was a bit fuzzy in the OP. Thanks for clearing that.

It depended, though. Hitler called Keitel his “dog”, for instance, because Keitel was so loyal. And after the war, the Bundeswehr did its best to “whitewash” the Wehrmacht and distance themselves from any bad actions during the war. But, for instance, Gernsdorf couldn’t get into the Bundeswehr after the war because of his role in the von Tresckow and 20 July plots. He was blackballed by officers who thought those actions made him untrustworthy.

Do you mean von Gersdorff? He relates why the Americans kept him as POW after the surrender far longer than the known Nazis - an American officer explained to him “With them, we know they follow orders no matter what (how reprehensive). So as long as we know we give the right orders, they are no problem.
You, on the other hand, have shown that you have a conscience which you follow, and think for yourself instead of following blindly. So what if you decide to not follow one of our orders? You’re an unknown, so we will keep you longer”.

I meant von Gersdorff, not Gernsdorff, and I know that. That was the comment made to him after the Americans released Gerhard Engel. But I’m talking about after he was released. He tried to join the Bundeswehr and was refused.