What/when to tell my boss about miscarriage

Ditto **Autolycus **- condolences to you & your husband Maggie, and I’m thinking of you.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, Maggie.

(((((Maggie and husband)))))

Maggie-So sorry for your loss. Though I have advice for your work situation, I’d just like to tell you that adoption is a wonderful experience. (I’m adopted)

Hey Maggie, hoping Monday went as well as it could and that you’re doing okay. Thinking of you (hugs).

Maggie, I’m so very sorry for your loss.

I hope the procedure was uncomplicated and you’re taking time to heal.

{{{Maggie}}}, I’m so sorry. Sending you hugs and good thoughts, and hoping everything went as well and simply as possible.

Thank you so much. Things went…I guess the word is well? No complications, anyway, and the doctors were all very kind. When I went in for the pre-op, the doctor had to do an ultrasound again to make sure that yes, the pregnancy was non-viable, and she made sure to turn the monitor away from me, didn’t say anything, and was as fast as possible, which was exactly the right thing to do.

I am very, very glad I had the D&C and didn’t have to go through the miscarriage process again.

I went back to work on Wednesday, and I was in tears most of the day, but I did my best to be quiet about it. The days since have been better, though I still am welling up quickly. It helps that my boss’s desk is 4 floors below mine, and that the cubicle walls are high, so hopefully nobody has noticed.

I’m not bleeding much, not really anything at all, but it hurts a lot (physically). I don’t think it’s actually cramping, I think it’s just bruising from my uterus being cleaned out very thoroughly. The pain seems to be worse when I need to poo or fart, which supports that theory, as the ute gets jostled around by substances moving through her neighbor Mr. Bowel. Ibuprofen 800 has been helping the last day or two, though the first couple days it didn’t seem to help at all and I was worried I’d have to ask for something stronger.

In other news - Husband and I have discussed it, and we’ve signed up for an orientation class to work toward fostering/adoption. The class isn’t until October, which will give us time to grieve and to research and prepare ourselves for a new way of being parents.

Did I mention thank you, everyone? Because you all really helped a lot. Sometimes this community just shines, and this is one of those times.

I’m glad to hear that - people post about such heartbreaking stuff, and all we can do is write a few words on a screen, and it just seems like we’re not doing anything at all. Glad to hear those few words on a screen actually do make a difference. :slight_smile:

You may be surprised at how understanding your boss can be. You could always write her a short note and explain that you need x y or z day off and you apologize for any inconvenience.

Seriously, you think this is all horrible and personal to you (which it is) but it’s a fact of life for most people. She’ll probably be understanding. And remember, if you decide to do adoption, you’re going to need an understanding boss.

edit: just realized the OP was a little old! Sorry!

Maggie-As I said, adoption is a WONDERFUL way to become a parent. I bet you’ve seen those commercials of parents out with their kids, and saying/doing stuff to embarrass them. The voice-over saying,“There are millions of kids in foster care waiting to put up with you.”

I’m glad that you’re looking into this option. I am friends with a couple who adopted two siblings from foster care and it has been a very good thing for their family. The kids are healthy and happy. The parents seem to really relish being parents.
It sounds like you are going about it the right way by giving yourself time to grieve first for these significant losses you’ve experienced, but once you’re ready hopefully it won’t be long until the right child will come into your life.