What Wi-Fi products do you own that are more like Why-Fi?

Like many, I have a Wi-Fi garage door opener, thermostat, and a few other non-computer devices that are fine.

But I just bought a new dishwasher, and I did not realize until after it was installed that it has WiFi capability. I can remotely start, end, or change a cycle, and do other tricks. I can even download some custom, out-of-the-ordinary wash cycles.

But, nah, I’m not going to use it. I can’t imagine that I would benefit from a dishwasher app.

You have any Wi-Fi things you ain’t using?

mmm

My refrigerator has it. It allows me to set the temp of the fridge, freezer and a extra section and set the ice maker and water pitcher to on or off. However all those are also available on the fridge via press buttons and are not hard to use.

it also alerts me if any door is open too long via a push alert (the fridge also chimes itself)

I can see energy usage.

I guess the main thing is it can tell me if it’s not working correctly which may save a leg of lam or two if and when it happens.

My top-loading LG clothes washer has wi-fi. Never bothered to download the app.

My dryer has it, and the app is useful since the laundry area is on the opposite side of the house from my office, and it sends me a message when it is done. I don’t know if the app can do more things, but since it can’t put the clothes in for me …

You do realize that at some point they will all start talking to each other?

One of my sous vide units is WI-FI and Bluetooth enabled. The thing is, sous vide is set-and-forget, with no reason for “adjustments” during cooking.

I think my washing machine has it, but I’ve never explored it.

The coin-op washers and dryers in the laundry room at my apartment can also be app-operated.

Our Roomba has it. Never could get the app to work, but I didn’t try to hard.
I do like the garage door openers. I had to let someone in last week when w e were several hours away. Worked like magic.

That is the issue for most gadgets. Amazon has a Wi-Fi microwave, but as I have to go to the refrigerator, select the food to warm up, prepare the food and then place it in the microwave, I’m already standing right there. I have to walk back to test/retrieve the food. Whatever benefit a remote app would have is now gone.

I guess we can talk about the Wi-Fi devices we like, too.

I use the thermostat Weefie regularly, love it.

The garage door opener is nice in the sense that it alerts me whenever the door is opened (or left open). I wouldn’t say I’ve actively used it, but it is good to have.

mmm

Mine too (Anova). The advantage is not adjustments during cooking. I can look up a recipe in their database and then just tap Cook This Recipe and then I don’t have to manually enter time & temp.

Ahhhh, ok.

I’m pretty much no-fi.

My computer is attached to a phone cord (and its mouse is attached by another cord). I don’t own a mobile phone. My TV doesn’t have a remote.

I think the only thing I own that doesn’t rely on physical contact is my key fob that locks and unlocks my car doors.

My gas cooktop has wifi. And you can’t do anything useful with it, just see if a burner is on. That’s it. Can’t set the burner’s power or turn it off/on. Nothing.

I finally learned to text, and use my phone as a, you know, phone. Never bothered to set it up with Wi-fi. Probably couldn’t figure it out anyway.

You need to set up wifi if:

• You pay for your phone data based on usage AND
  • You use data AND
  • You spend a lot of time in places with wifi (e.g., home and work)

It’s not any harder than setting it up on any other device.

I do none of those things. I’m good.

It’s probably supposed to be helpful for those people who, every time they leave the house, worry that they left the stove on (even when they haven’t used the stove recently, and even though they never forget to turn it off when they stay home).

Also note that most “Unlimited” phone plans (at least in the US) will throttle you if you reach a certain data per month. Unlimited internet plans generally won’t.