What world religions preach open animosity or contempt for atheists?

Just looking for a list.

The late Pope stated in 1999: “The contemporary era has known particularly devastating forms of “theoretical” and “practical” atheism (cf. Encyclical Letter Fides et ratio, nn. 46-47). Secularism proves particularly ruinous with its indifference to ultimate questions and to faith: it in fact expresses a model of man lacking all reference to the transcendent. “Practical” atheism is thus a bitter and concrete reality.”

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pope2644.htm

Muslims do not appear to be particularly friendly to atheists:

Not exactly directed towards atheists, but given how harsh the following is against folks who follow the “wrong” religion, I can’t imagine the Jews, Christians, and Muslims giving atheists an easier time:

Boy, rjung, the Bible is such as model of family values!

AFAIK, religions generally scorn anyone who is not a member of that particular religion, but I’m not aware of any that single out atheists. Probably because when the religious texts were written, atheism wasn’t an idea that was held by many.

Individuals, on the other hand, often do have a much stronger reaction against atheists than for other religions. Most people are pretty tolerant of other religious views, as long as they believe in a god, but in my experience the idea of “no god” is an affront to how most religious people think.

Actually, I don’t have the quotes here, but I am pretty sure I have seen biblical quotes which talked about the foolishness of “scoffers”.

I am sure I saw them in the torah, but here is a bit from the NT.

http://www.cyberstreet.com/calvary/rm121-25.htm
So basically, atheists are willfully deluding themselves.

I thought I heard that in the Vatican II it says that atheists who are basically good people regardless of their lack of faith are still ‘doing the work of God’ or something; they just don’t realize it.

Jews are required to believe in God. It is one of the 613 commandments.

Non-Jews are only required to keep 7 commandments. One of those commandments is a command against idolatry. From my understanding of this, a non-Jew could be an atheist without problem, as the commandment is a negative prohibition concerning idolatry, and not a positive command regarding belief.

Zev Steinhardt

Zev, what are the 7 commandments required of non-Jews?

as i remember it, that only applies to jews who’ve strayed. all you dirty heathen gentiles have a much easier time of it, but once someone is officially a jew, they had damn well better not change their mind.
doesn’t specifically address athiests, but there’s one quote that comes to mind: “the righteous of all faiths have a part in the world to come.” i believe this was from one of the bigwig rabbis of the olden days - so it’s not god giving a straight-up ruling on the matter - but that is generally how the situation is handled. also, i’m sure i butchered that quote somewhat

~dan

The Seven Noachide Laws. These laws were given to Noah after he came out of the Ark, and are binding on all people, because all people are descended from Noah.

A non-orthodox Jewish perspective might be somewhat more tolerant of atheism.

See the link for an additional theological paragraph.

On Preview:
For those who don’t want to click the Noachine link, here are the 7 laws:

Do not murder.

Do not steal.

Do not worship false gods.

Do not be sexually immoral.

Do not eat the limb of an animal before it is killed.

Do not curse God.

Set up courts and bring offenders to justice.

I’m good with that.

Could you maybe be thinking of this Psalm of David?

Psalm 14

*1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. 2The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. 3They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. 4Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD. 5There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous. 6Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.7Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.
This is actually, I read, the earliest historical reference to atheism! Neat! :slight_smile:

Two questions: after the first line, is David talking about the no-god guys when he talks about the corrupt, the abominable. It seems like just more of the same David always talked about in his stuff- “Oh the wicked are all around us, why won’t they praise the Lord, they are like lions, tigers, bears oh my!” Meanwhile he was off doing adultery.

Second question: if YHWH was so obviously active in David’s time as Samuel and Kings tells us he was, killing scores of men when they peeked inside the Ark and sending angels and what not, why wouldn’t David mention some of that in this Psalm? Like- “The fool says in his heart, there is no god- hey, I saw his angel last week in the threshing house, and he killed 70 guys in one second! Who are they kidding!”

Just more evidence for us atheists. Nanny nanny boo boo. :smiley:

And why would Solomon have most likely written Ecclesiastes in which he seems ready to disbelieve in the afterlife and YHWH and life’s meaning?

Nanny nanny boo boo. :smiley:

And then at the end of his life Solomon turned to idolatry. Oh, yeah, he spoke directly with YHWH. Poop on that.

Nanny nanny- never mind, I’ll stop.

Some Evangelical Christians define atheism as, "a denial of the existence of God in the midst of full knowledge that the true God does indeed exist. "
Example.

That was it. Thank you.

Was that ever really a big problem?

Can you eat the torso? Or the face? It would sorta be more sporting that way. And fresh too.