What Would Be Your "American Idol" Song?

Imagine that you made it to the semi-finals on American Idol. This is your big moment to show off your stuff and try to make to the finals. If you make it to the finals your life will change forever. Even if you don’t win, you will go on the “American Idol” Tour, you will go on paid speaking engagements, you might get a TV show offer, you will make a lot money (a lot more than you making now). Song choice if critical at this stage. It could make or break you.

What song do you choose?*
I would go with “Angie” by The Rolling Stones.

• The song would be accompanied by a piano only. No Wildcard backing tracks here. :wink:

I’d go with “When you say nothing at all” by Ronan Keating. I feel I could do a convincing version of that. :slight_smile: (Then again, is that song even known in America?)

Teen Angel. I guarantee I can bring down the house with it. :slight_smile:

Damn, I feel lame for posting to this…I don’t know the songs actual name, but it’s something along the lines of One Angry Dwarf by Ben Fold’s Five. It’s fast paced, it’s a piano song (the biggest complaint I remember hearing is “It’s hard to do that song with a piano” so it gets rid of that issue), and it’s got a good “Piss off” attitude about it.

Plus it’s just a fun song.

IIRC that would be Angry Dwarf and 200 solemn faces. I, too have considered that to be a song I would cover, but only if I were already famous instead of just getting there.

I’d cover Open Arms, and sing it as a mix between Journey and goth music.

Easy, Sexy Motherfucker.

I’d go with Bei Mir Bist Du Shein (Means That You’re Grand) an old jazz song from the 30s. But I’d pump it up with some comtemporary pop type stuff.
It’s a great fun song, and I love the low growly parts. I’d probably get chastised for my choice of song, but it’s different, so I’d do it.

Elvis suits my voice very well, and it’s popular music. So I’d probably do “Hound Dog” or “Don’t Be Cruel” just to shake things up a little. However, I wouldn’t try to do an Elvis impersonation - I’d just give the song a good shot.

How about “Stupify” by Disturbed?

I’ve never watched the show, do they ever do anything besides whiny annoying (In my opinion) ballads?

I Call My Sweetie Sugar Because He’s So Refined.

Bet Simon’s never heard that one!

Look Away by Chicago or maybe Don’t Stop Believing by Journey. Time After Time would be cool, but I’d rather belt one out.

I think I would go with “Put it in your mouth.” It would sound great with a piano.

But really, I would choose “All I Want” by Toad the Wet Sprocket, “Tupelo Honey” or “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight.”

Not that I’ve ever thought about this.

“The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze,” backed
by the International Silver String Submarine Band.

Probably all that would be left of me would be a greasy spot on the stage, but I’d have fun in the meantime.

Ohhh. If I could sing it would be And I Am Telling You from Dreamgirls.

I could get all overly dramatic and do all kinds of frilly frippery with my voice and maybe end with tears streaming down my face.

I would sing “For All We Know” by the Carpenters or perhaps my own composition called “Mommy Loves Mickey” which is about my late cat Mickey.

The premise here is that I can actually sing, right?

“Who’s Loving You” (Terence Trent D’Arby covered it, I don’t remember who wrote it)

I wonder if this is the same Whose Loving You that The Jackson Five did. I love that song.

“Hotel California” by The Eagles. 'Nuff said.

[quote]
I wonder if this is the same Whose Loving You that The Jackson Five did. I love that song.

[quote]

Apparently. I just went to AMG and they’re both listed as being by “Robinson” (Smokey, I guess). I’ve never heard the Jackson Five Version, but Terence Trent D’Arby’s smokes.

[hijack]effin’ coding. I’ve been in the “a” thread too long, I can’t do anything but bold. [/hijack]