What would happen if the earth's destruction was pinpointed and inevitable?

I, for one, welcome our orgy overlords.
Where in the fuck have you guys BEEN? Why didn’t you get here a little earlier? We could have had some fun!

But the government could (and should ) encourage social stability by officially proclaiming that the amateurs’s data is wrong, there’s no need to panic, etc…
(Sort of like the global warming issue :slight_smile:

It reminds me of the old M.A.S.H. episode where a huge bomb falls into the camp but doesnt explode. Panic ensues, and Radar O’reilly figures that if he’s gonna die, he might as well perform the ultimate act of bravery. So he asks a girl for a date…

Damn…now that I look back on it, we were a really dorky bunch of kids…

:smiley:

:smiley: You just became my personal “doper of the week”.

Human centered balderdash. The end is certain but the time is indefinite. However, chances are by the time the end comes insects will have taken over.

I believe it was biologist J. B. S. Haldane who said,“An inordinate fondness for beetles.” when he was asked about God’s characteristics.

Oh God, no! Not constipation! Say it ain’t so!

emphasis added

I’m going to be up all night figuring this one out. Well, figuratively speaking. Very good question, Ducktail.

Well, going from the OP, with a strict 2 year time till oblivion, with everyone knowing it, the geopolitical aspect could get interesting. We might well destroy ourselves before the Big Whack.

Possibilities: Countries around the world with gripes against each other might well say screw it and let go. India and Pakistan nuking each other, Israel nuking the Mideast, North Korea nuking SK, China/Taiwan etc.

In the US, the wacko white supremecists/survival/crazy religious nuts might shoot the shit out of their respective towns, bringing in the military. Martial law, everyone with a gun on the rampage, gang bangers going nuts, mass anarchy and chaos. This would likely happen all over the world, same shit different issues in different countries.

People with grudges saying screw it, mass murders, the whole nine yards, I could go on forever.

I think, strictly going by the OP constraints, we would definitely destroy ourselves before the first year was over.

Happy Armageddon everybody!

Of course, you Earth people realize that the OP is precisely why I came to your planet in 1951 and gave you a warning. :dubious:

Klaatu Barada Nikto…
And don’t mess with Gort! :wink:

Kids don’t much like orgies or riots or crazy parents on a four day LSD trip. I should imagine, or at least hope, that most people with children would keep the orgy part fairly under control and try to keep the days as much resembling normality as possible under the situation.

It’s also in the human nature to try to work out the situation no matter how desperate. A lot of people would dedicate their remaining hours for some kind of rescue from or a last stand against the dingos.

I wouldn’t worry about repaying my student loans.
And I’d start smoking weed and having sex again.

We have a case study for this. We elected people from this weird religious cult that thinks the world is set to end. They see three days of darkness and then god will suck the believers out of thier clothes into heaven. They have no respect for the environment because it doesnt matter. The Rupture is coming soon to save the chosen. It of course a dirty trick to play on aboriginies ,islanders and Other people in a remote island that never heard of it.
These people would be capable of the weirdest political stances wars exploitation .Because it all doesnt matter.

I’m actually really curious on how the economic repercussions of this would play out.

With two years left to go, what happens to banks and institutions that loan money. What happens to that 30 year mortgage? What happens to investment portfolios? Any sort of long-term investments or loans would become pretty worthless, no? I imagine that while operating like nothing is going to happen would be best for stability, at least until the final months when it really wouldn’t matter, how would we maintain the financial normalcy needed to keep society running when certain pieces of our economic fabric clearly become unraveled?

You’re always welcoming some new overlords or other. You’re such a suck-up.

Hmmm – my first impulse is, quit paying my mortgage. What’re they going to do, repossess? Why bother? Besides, I’m pretty good with a .30-.30 and I have a clear field of fire for over 100 yards around my house. But then I got to thinking, if I don’t pay my mortgage and if nobody else pays their mortgages, the worker bees at the mortgage company will be out of a job because there’s no money to pay them, so they and their families will starve. Besides, if I don’t pay my bills, the people who owe my employer money won’t be able to pay theirs, and then I’ll starve. So I imagine there would be this whole PR push to get everyone to “do the right thing” so we can at least enjoy some quality of life before it all ends. I imagine there would be rampant alcoholism and drug addiction as people indulged in all the things they’d denied themselves previously, and crime would spike at first. Studies show that times of national crisis lead to higher birth rates as people seek refuge from reality in sex. Ironically, just as the world ends, we’d probably see a spike in birth rate like never before – but what the hell, we wouldn’t have to actually raise the little buggers, would we?

Damn. Sallie Mae sure extracts a heavy toll.

I think that you have massive anarchy quite shortly. Inflation goes crazy, since there’s no point in saving money for a future that’ll never come. Production goes to shit, and not too long afterward, food riots.

The few who actually live to see the dingoes come will be war-torn and starving.

It all comes down to your view of human nature, doesn’t it?

Those who think that most people are good, reasonable and rational will expect that human society will remain basically stable all the way to the end. Those who think that most people are bestial and self-gratifying will think that everything will go to hell. I’m an optimist at heart, but enough of a realist to suspect that over a two-year timespan there’s going to be a whole lot of crime, economic upheaval, and social disorder, if not outright anarchy.

Take a look at Nevil Shute’s On the Beach for a grim look at a similar, postapocalyptic vision of what might happen, complete with government-provided suicide pills.

With this in mind, people here who are welcoming their new dingo overlords should instead be sucking up to another phylum entirely. Whichever could it be?

An interesting book. But didn’t the final breakdown of society come only at the very end? Things went on pretty normally right up until the first symptoms of the radiation sickness started to appear.

It’s a certainty that someone would open a thread in ATMB requesting details regarding the future of this message board.