What would happen if the earth's destruction was pinpointed and inevitable?

Could you diagram those sentences, please? I know all the words in them, but they make no discernable sense.

Myself- I’d go further than Radar O’Reilly, get married & spent out the last days in hot Christian marital sex (not an oxymoron).

I would be doing my utmost to help build as many Orion ships to both fight the space-dingos and preserve something of our world aside from the beetles. If nothing else I can cook chow for the engineers and astronauts.

as an aside, When Worlds Collide is one of my favorite movies.

as a further aside, I’v been laughing almost continually at my desk since reading the phrase “space-dingos”

I think the entire economy would slowly go into a tail-spin. You’d be hard pressed to find many people that are still going to want to work a 40-hour week.
Universities and schools everywhere would slowly start to empty (why work toward a degree that you will never get to).
Everyone would take to an early retirement. Only problem would be it would be everyone. So who’s going to be running the stores, building products, pumping gas, giving loans, trading on wall street, making food at restaurants? Nobody. Cause they all quit.
Looting would certainly occur but nobody would really care. All the police retired, the business owner retired, so who would stop them or who would care to stop them.
Same for utilities. Water, electricity, phones don’t run themselves. What happens when all these people walk off the job?
The entire economic infrastructure would just collapse.

So basically you’d have everyone fending for themselves figuring out how to spend the next 730 days surviving in a society where no one works and no services are available.

You might be okay at first but what are you and your family going to do when the power goes out? Where are you going to go when you can’t get gas anywhere? And how long until restaurants and food stores have their food stock completely taken?

I think it would depend on how certain the catastrophe was. If there was any doubt, courts & banks would probably continue to expect loans to be repaid and taxes collected.

Even if it was pretty certain, there would always be the remotest chance that the world would NOT come to an end, dangnab it. Then wouldn’t some people look pretty foolish if they took out a 30 year loan, spent it all on an end-of-the-world orgy and had to repay it after all? :smack: :eek:

Hopefully, the rest of you would be saying, “Please, Skald, for God’s sake, call of your mutant star goat! We surrender our sovereignty!”

I hope that when you’re galactic overlord you can assign someone to check your spelling.

Today’s my day for typos, Clam. But why would I want to be GALACTIC overlord?

(Actually I just want to rule Jersey.)

Larry Niven wrote a short story about a guy who noticed the moon was WAY too bright and figured out that the Sun had gone nova and when it became daytime they were finished. Can’t remember the title.