What would the world be like without 9/11?

Well, my head isn’t any more fucked up then before 9/11 (as I was in a subway stopped between stations while all hell was breaking loose), but many friends/coworkers were traumatized, developed health problems from the stuff they were exposed to, etc. People changed jobs, moved out of Manhattan, and otherwise changed their lives.

For all you know sept the 11th could of been the best thing that could of happened to the world. Maybe since this attack didnt go off as planned they upgraded to attacking a nuclear facility, and this time today half of america glowed in the dark.

No one knows, stop trying to imagine it!

IEatFood,
Appreciate your comments. IANAn Architect and have no particular expertise in that area, but I did like the general look of the selected proposal more than the others. There were some that I found just awful, but I don’t remember which one the Norman Foster one was. I liked that it saved what has come to be called the “Pit” and that it had a tall and graceful spire to fill in the skyline. I did not, however, pay a lot of attention to the details of the proposed structures, so your assessment may very well be more accurate than mine.

One thing you said:

was especially interesting. One of the comments I heard against a tall office building was the thought that it would be difficult to find tenants on the upper floors. I certainly hope that your prediction is true.

MLS,

Oh yes, I am sure of it. In fact, when the originals were put up, there were all sorts of protests that the space would never be filled. The locals theorized that if the ESB had never been fully utilized, then surely two towers, each one of which having nearly 125% the office space of the ESB, would turn into the world’s greatest white elephants.
Well, not only did they fill up, but the demand for space in LM became so great that the WFC (The towers across the westside parkway there) appeared in 1986, adding more office space then the twins themselves had. Many other towers would go up in the lifetime of Yamasaki’s creations that were also in the immediate vicinity. In fact, LM really would be a wasteland of has been companies if not for the Twins. Most Wall-Street firms have longsince re-located to midtown or just plain outta town.
As for the Foster design, not my favorite, but it was the best I saw entered as a choice (much like any general presidential election, right?, lol.) Here is a page with photo’s & info. It’s very professionally done and offers many different angles of the site. Interestingly enough, this is the design that by a great margin garnered the most favour from New Yorkers themselves. But it was defacto DQ’d because it offered “Too much.” It was above the space requirements (usually a good thing I should think, but with Pataki having his fingers in this pot I guess there just wasn’t enough space for Common Sense.) So we get what we get…
I just hope that this is not all set to stone & the site will be able to evolve with the times.
PS, I am not an Architect either. I have a minor that is vaguely related to that, but that’s as close I come, professionally speaking. :slight_smile: