What would you imagine your odds of getting Covid over the next couple of months?

Triple-vaxxed, scrupulous about wearing masks, and working entirely from home… but I’m not completely isolating, I live in Omicron Central, and I have a school-age child (and children are a major vector), so the odds of getting it are not trifling. My wife just found out that entire departments at her workplace have tested positive for it, but she’s off for the duration of the holidays now.

We are taking lateral flow tests every time before we go out just to ensure we’re not about to make matters worse - so far, so good, but who knows what the future will bring.

I think my odds are pretty high. I’m triple vaxxed, and i wear a KF94 mask when i go out, even when visiting my mom or on rare visits to friends.

But omicron is freaking contagious. I’m hunkering down for two weeks, to try to avoid the hospital crunch. Except…i need to change the air filter at my mom’s, we are almost out of cat food, and i volunteered to deliver food for the temple’s soup kitchen in Thursday.

Maybe I’ll go see what chewy can do for the cat. There’s really no way to avoid the other two. I will test in a moment, before visiting my mom.

Yeah, that pretty much describes me. Everyone I interact w/ unmasked is vaxxed/boostered. But there are young kids in that group. And it is like they used to say about unprotected sex - you’re with every past partner of that person.

Really struck me when a number of fully vaxxed folk closest to me got it.

Hell, for all I know, maybe I already had it and don’t know! :smiley:

Lessee - I’m retired, as is my husband, so none of those interactions. Apart from the grandkids who are under 5, everyone is vaxed and boosted. I wear my mask in all stores. So minimal chances.

On the other hand, spousal unit is having his knee replaced on Jan 3. One would think the hospital would be a safe place, but who knows…?

Overall, still minimal chances.

My job, thank fuck, has taken Covid extremely, extremely seriously from the outset and there has never been any pressure to return to the office, so that’s not an issue for me, though when I have gone in a couple of times, voluntarily, there have always been a few exposed-nose people on the bus. And my wife and I do grocery shopping and a few instances of very careful socializing with our neighbours.

We are double vaxxed and awaiting booster eligibility (in a week or so) and we’ve started double masking whenever publicly indoors. Having said that, I’m going to say 10%.

Damn - my kid just called and said her entire family was with her in-laws on Sun, one of whom has since tested positive. We were planning on having them over xmas eve. FUCK!

:musical_note: I’m dreaming of a Zoom Christmas…:notes:

Yeah - fuck that shit. We’ll do whatever in person when we can.

The sick person is a teacher, so she was vaxxed, but also in high risk environment.

I guess I’m now wondering just what question people are answering here, since some people are giving very low percentages. Given what we know about Omicron, I think anyone who thinks their change of getting any type of infection is just a few percent is… optimistic. The probability of significant symptoms is low if you’re vaxxed and boosted, of course.

Yes… I am thinking it is over 50% for me, and I am taking reasonable precautions.

In the US, currently, after 2 years, there have been 50 million cases and 800k deaths (roughly). Most of those were from unvaccinated people. Even if we count them all, we are talking about 15 percent for infections and 2-3 percent for deaths. So, no…I don’t think anyone is being unrealistic here, assuming this thing doesn’t get a lot worse. Recall…this is in the next few months, and the above figures is for the entire duration of the outbreak, most of which people didn’t have the vaccination. The current estimate for breakthrough covid cases (and this wasn’t with the booster afaik) is less than 2%.

I feel like it’s just a matter of time. I’m triple vaxxed, but know SO many people who’ve had it despite being double vaxxed that I’m pretty much resigned to it. I work from home at the moment, but when I do go into the office, I work with a lot of 20 and 30 somethings who like to hang out in gangs in pubs, or who have young children going to petri-dish nurseries every day.

I’m at the point where I take some risks - I eat out, because it’s one of life’s great pleasures and I need it. But I mask up when I’m out and I test regularly. I’m avoiding big groups. I figure that’s enough I can do without sending myself mad.

I’m still travelling, but much less than before - just two foreign trips in the last 2 years. I was due to go to Rome for NYE - that’s now off.

Do they have an idea of where they got it?

My husband and daughter are driving up to the in-laws for christmas so my chances have now skyrocketed. The in-laws just went to a large family gathering last Saturday so if they caught it, they’ll be contagious just as hub and daughter arrive. My family is boosted but in-laws are just double vaxxed. There are some anti-vaxxers/maskholes in the extended family so…

I’m triple vaxxed and wear a mask and don’t go out much. Now I’m resigned to going out less.

The number of people I know who are vaccinated that have tested positive is rising. Not good. They at least are coming out the other side ok.

I had been looking up stats on people getting infected again and the stats seemed favorable. Since then I have known 3 people who have gotten it a second time.

Anyway I’ll assume it’s 50% for me. I am amazed at how nonchalant I’ve been about it. I’m back to being scared.

Pretty high: I got the J&J which apparently does not do squat against omicron and have had one jab of Moderna (not sure if at booster dose or full dose) which doesn’t work as well as the Pfizer one.

I don’t go anywhere but Mistermage does: work (no mask), shopping (he says he wears a mask he def. sanitizes his hands but when we went XMas shopping 75% of the time he only grabbed a mask because I did) and our oldest hasn’t been vaxxed and they work together. We all 3 have crappy health so… it’s just a matter of time before one of them catches and spreads it back to me.

No offense meant to any of you who think your odds are so high even when you are vaccinated and even have the booster, but this really underscores that people are just really, really bad at risk assessment.

Just to clarify - on my own behalf at least - I am thinking my odds are high of getting infected. Not of being seriously ill, or even being symptomatic.

Omicron? I put my odds at 100%. I think everyone on Earth will “get it”. But the completely vaxxed will collectively suffer much less from it. Whether it’s because of the anti-vaxxers, or the politicians, or the virus itself, herd immunity is not possible. I will be exposed at some point, and it will move in and try to set up housekeeping. Exactly how well its homesteading effort works remains to be seen.

Unless I’m mistaken, vaccinations don’t put up a magic wall that causes Covid to flee. They just pre-load our defenses with the ammo to drive it out more quickly once it starts. Sometimes so quickly we’re not even aware we “had it”.

I guess my answer hinges on the exact definition of “getting Covid”.

On edit: Failed to explain I’m fully vaxxed and boostered. I don’t expect to get very sick from it.

But what do you base that on? I mean, in the US for the entire outbreak only around 15% of the population has gotten covid…the vast majority of those were unvaccinated. Even if we inflate that to 20 or even 30% by doubling it, that still means your individual chances since the outbreak started are low. If you are vaccinated, the chances are very, very small you’ll get it, despite the anecdotes. The estimates of breakthrough cases are all under 2%. Even if we double or triple that your odds are still low, especially in the time frame of the OP (i.e. next couple of months).

Anyway, you are right…even if you weren’t vaccinated the odds are that even if you get the thing it will be either mild symptoms or none at all. Vaccinated your odds are even better wrt getting a serious case.