Whatcha Readin' (July 09) Edition

I’ll second or third what others are saying - it’s a must-read. :slight_smile:

I got the annotated version, which was very helpful in explaining his numerous in-jokes and Moscow references - it isn’t necessary to enjoy this wonderful book, but it adds a bit of enjoyment on re-reading it.

Just finished Eat, Drink, and Be from Mississippi by Nanci Kincaid, which I thought was incredibly slow-moving. Now just starting Roadside Crosses by Jeffery Deaver.

Just finished The Questing of Kedrigern by John Morressy.

And I have a question I hope you guys can answer. Kedrigern is in a fast food joint in L.A., transported there by magic. He’s puzzled by many things but manages to figure out some stuff – people aren’t actually imprisoned in those speedy things with wheels, etc. Anyway, at the table next to him are three men and each of them is holding what Kedrigern describes as a “green wand”. I’m trying to figure out what those green wands are. What would a modern person have that a wizard would describe as a green wand? The book was published in the mid 80’s so they’re not cell phones (and cell phones aren’t wandy anyway).

Any ideas?

Oh great, it’s not bad enough that it’s driving you crazy, now it’s driving me crazy too!

Btw, I’m really glad I stuck with The Gone-Away World through the first third. We’re getting back to the main plot now and it’s wonderful! I loved the romance with Leah, the medieval castle, and the bazaar with the saffron salesman and his wife! And the pirates’ auto derby!!!

Plastic forks, knives?

Pens? Short wands, I suppose. But why would they all be green?

Straws? Chopsticks?

bup, yeah, maybe straws! That’d explain why they were the same color. Not short wands – the three men weren’t wizards – just normal guys*. Kedrigern would have recognized a pen.

*Except that they were talent agents who were interested in Keddie’s talking toad. They kidnapped her. Keddie tracked them down and turned them into garter snakes. These books are the most fun I’ve had in years.

wonderlust, glad you stuck with Gone-Away World.

Am in the middle of both The Black Death 1346-1353: The Complete History and Bending the Landscape.

The Black Death book is truly comprehensive and intriguing, though it can get repetitive at times.

Somehow these Kedrigern books have escaped my notice…will have to check them out. They’re not like Discworld, are they? Somehow I never quite got into those…

I can’t say – I’ve never read a Discworld book.

The Kedrigern books are out of print, but I’ve found all of them at Amazon, used, and cheap. The first is A Voice for Princess. He also wrote some SF which I’m acquiring but haven’t tried yet.

The Kedrigern books are well-written and very entertaining. I’m totally charmed by them. They remind me a bit of Manly Wade Wellman’s John the Balladeer stories, but I think Morressy is funnier than Wellman.

I finished this over the weekend. I thought it was quite charming and Master Li is a great character. There was a slight exposition speed bump in the middle, where everything needed to be explained and tied into a neat package.

In early stages of a re-read of T.C. Boyle’s The Road to Wellville. (The edition I checked out from the library is from when he was still using his middle name on his books, i.e., T. Coraghessan Boyle.)

I’m already recalling what a marvelous read it was at the time, and is again. And I’m wondering why after reading it before I never followed up by looking at other books by him; I’m planning to do so this time.

Captain Alariste , I just finished and really liked. I am starting Purity of Blood.

I’m glad you liked it. Really brings out the flavour of the time, I thought.

I’ve just read the latest by Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold. It’s set in the same universe as his First Law series, but it’s a stand-alone (has some of the same characters - secondary ones).

It’s an excellent fantasy page-turner, with I thought above average writing for the genre. The plot was a trifle linear (I spoil nothing by saying it’s about a woman who sets out for revenge, mayhem ensues) but with enough bizzare twists to keep it interesting. It holds up very well to the First Law series, which was also excellent, I thought.

Picked up volumes 2 and 3 of Mary Stewart’s Merlin trilogy at the library yesterday. I’m dropping the book on the pre-Beagle Darwin to re-immerse myself in pre-Britain Britain … wonder if I’ll get back to it?

Is this your first read of them? I thought the first one (of the trilogy) was the slowest and enjoyed the second two more. (Then, IMO, the last one sucked.)

Yes, my first read – and I loved the first book to pieces, so am delighted to hear that the other two are as good (or better).

Doesn’t surprise me to hear that the fourth one sucks – when the author plans a narrative in three parts then bows to whoever’s demand that there be a fourth … it doesn’t always work. (Let’s call it the Godfather III syndrome…)

Are you in the UK? Or did you read an ARC? I have it on preorder for the July 29 release.

Does Glokta make an appearance? He’s my favorite, although I did get tired of Abercrombie constantly describing Glokta’s physical woes.

I started Kedrigern in Wanderland last night. I tracked down an old address for the author, who died in 2006. I’m tempted to write to his widow, to tell her how much I’m enjoying the books, but I don’t know if it’s appropriate. ??

I finished “The Time Traveler’s Wife.” It was pretty good, but not destined to be a favorite. I liked the concept and the plot, but got tired of hearing about how cool Henry and Clare were because they were into punk, ate Thai food, Clare was an artist, etc. It made them feel like Mary Sues at times.

I’m still working on “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” Not sure what I’ll pick up as my second read next. I’m considering some Stephen King. I like him in the summer; reminds me of my teenage years.