Whatever Happened To The Sacajawea Dollars?

I found one in my couch today, which got me wondering. Did they stop making them? Are people just not using them? Did they decide to make fewer? Are they falling into people’s couches (like mine)? Are they being abducted by UFOs? Someone help me out here.

People don’t appear to be using them, resisting change.

When Canada switched over to the Loonie and later to the Toonie, the government pulled all $1 and $2 bills from circulation, forcing us to use them.

I work at a Rite Aid and my job involves occasional cahsiering. I try to get these out, but if I see more than two or three of them in a month it’s a lot. Everyone else just sends them back to the bank instead of giving them as change.

Our public transportation system’s ticket machines also give Sacas as change if you put a $5 or $10 bill in.

No.

Basic answer–yes. They do use them in major metro transportaion change machines.

Yes, the production for 2001 is very much smaller than the initial production year of 2000.

As many posters have said before, they WILL NOT work until the government does away with the dollar bill. Which means never.

I imagine there’s probably two reasons -

1. As said before, people just aren’t using them - stores don’t give them in change, so people don’t get them.

2. People are instead collecting the ones that they DO get, and therefore not putting them into circulation.

I used a couple a week or two ago that I just happened to have in the change tray of my truck. Good thing, because I had run out of paper money!

I agree with ski, people are collecting them. in a couple years they will become everyday objects… or the ufo theory.

This has happened with almost every dollar coin that’s been put into circulation by the US government in the last 100 years. My mother still has Eisenhower and Susan B. Anthony dollars in a jar in the cupboard.

It makes no sense to do this…they were and, in the case of the Saccie, are produced in the millions. They will never be worth more than…ta da! One dollar. Period. At least in the lifetimes of the next three or four generations.

But people are strange (when you’re a stranger…um, wait…) and are resistant to the use of dollar coins. Canada at least had the guts (and other nether-region body parts) to do away with their paper money in order to increase the circulation of their large-denomination coinage. The US is wimpy on this count.

jayjay

I spend sackies every chance I get. I have about 20 of them in a pouch that I can slip into my pocket. If you want sackies, try buying a single stamp with a $20 bill from a stamp vending machine.

Coincidentally “whatever happened to the Sacajawea dollars?” has been a hotly debated topic at my workplace this week. Admittedly we’re not discussing big issues like crowd psychology and currency reform; we’re focused specifically on the issue of “whatever happened to the six hundred Sacajawea dollars that turned up missing from the change machine last Saturday?”

I wish I could see some.

I got some Susan B.'s earlier this year, but that’s it.

The vending machines where I work use them as do the ticket machines for my trains. I use and see them quite often but only for those purposes. I leave them as tips a lot.

I have a Sackie in my change purse, just because. Hubby got a Susie B in change the other day - mistaken for a quarter.

I used to get them from our credit union whenever I withdrew money for the week. The vending machine in my building takes them, and I think they’re cool so I wanted to popularize them by spending them whenever possible.

The amount of histrionics the tellers went through before surrendering a roll increased. At first they’d cheerfully fetch a roll (they typically didn’t have any in their drawers), and chat about how nice the Sackies were, and wondered if people would get used to them. After a while they were sighing heavily before heaving themselves out of their seats and making an epic journey across the room to the drawer. After a while, they’d ask the rest of the tellers in their best help me indulge this irrational customer voice, “Does anyone know if we have any dollar coins?” Finally, they started just telling me that they didn’t have any without checking.

sigh I stopped asking.

Recently while at a grocery store, I paid for my order with a handful of dollar coins.

Blank stare from cashier.

She turns around to a coworker and says “Do we accept these?! What is this? I have never seen these before.”

Its money you inept gum-chomper.
Scary.

I got three not to long ago from a restarant. They were apologetic about not having dollar bills, but I was glad to take them.

I won’t spend them unless I see more of them in circulation.

Um…

Nah…there’s a slim chance that I’m missing a joke here. I’ll let it go.

jayjay

Whenever I cash a check at the bank I ask for some Sackies, and the clerk always looks at me weird, like I asked for “All wheat pennies and two-dollar bills, please.” I spend them for small purchase. Once at the grocery store I bought a couple apples and the total came to one dollar even; I handed the cashier a Sackie, and she held it in her hand and looked at it for a few seconds before saying, “Wow…” That’s been the usual reaction.

In the summer time I work at a booth at a farm market, and sometimes I give out Sackies as change. Maybe one in ten people don’t notice, and all the rest look at it funny, and sometimes make a comment like “Wow, I’ve never seen one of those before…”

I’ve only recieved a Sackie as payment once. Some guy’s total was $3.50, and he gives me a two dollar bill, a Sackie, and a fifty-cent piece. I kinda did a double take, and his wife apologetically explains to me that “He likes weird money.” “That’s okay,” I say, “so do I.”

samclem is right- sackies won’t catch on until the $bill is gone- but that may happen. The Feds have no plans to introduce a “new one dollar bill” like the new 100’s, etc. There has been talk of letting it go- but the big resistance is vending machine industry, which has millions of machines programmed to take dollar bills. However, noting that they continue to make them, without adding a dollar coin option- is making me lose sympathy for them. The buggywhip industry had to see the light, too.

It doesn’t help that the Sackie, which I really like in concept and design, turns butt-ugly about a minute after it starts to circulate. That beautiful golden color tarnishes to an absolute shit brown, worse than the penny. That’s what five years and several hundred million dollars have bought us…

Heh…that’s kind of like a “current currency oddities” hat trick…

jayjay