Whatever the KU Admissions Board is smoking, hand me three

All my dad can talk about is “when you graduate you’ll be earning in one year what you would have earned in three years at your present job.”
oh yeah, and
“did you know that the starting salary for a lawyer today is (insert dollar figure that increases every time he tells me)?”

Also, Gadarene, I remember your thread about 1-2 months ago talking about getting accepted to a few zen like ivy growing law schools. Which one did you decide upon?

Congratulations, Ender! Welcome to the fraternity.

In honor of the beginning of your journey, I am pleased to pass along some advice that served me well during my law school daze [sic]. . .

1. Remember that law school has nothing to do with learning the law. You’re there to learn how to act like a lawyer. You’ll learn the law when you take the bar review.

2. Set aside one night per week for serious drinking and decompression.

3. Hi Opal! :slight_smile:
    Regards,

Zappo

See, the trouble with the Ivies is that they take so damn long to tell you no. :slight_smile: I still haven’t heard back from five of my seven schools, and it could be any time between now and, like, 2014 before I get a decision.

In fact, I got a bit of a nasty surprise two weeks ago which probably foreclosed upon my chances at one of the schools. I’m planning on moving back East next month, so I called each of the itinerant schools to get a status update, should their acceptance/rejection letter possibly pass me while I travel coast to coast. Now, I’d mailed out all my applications in early November, and called six of the seven schools a month later to make sure that everything was in order and that the application was complete. No worries. But I couldn’t find the number for Virginia Law Admissions at their website, so I didn’t call them. …Big mistake, apparently. When I located the number two weeks ago, Virginia told me that they hadn’t even looked at my application yet, because it was missing a Dean’s Certification from the first school I attended. I’m pretty damn sure they didn’t ask me for that Dean’s Certification to begin with, and I know that no other school needed it, but they had never sent me anything telling me that my application was incomplete. So I called Duke and got them to send UVa the Dean’s Certification, but by the time they review my application my prospect will likely have been snuffed. If I’d been able to find Virginia’s number back in December, I might have avoided this. Too bad.

Of course, the bitter irony is that four days after I called Virginia and discovered that my application was complete, they sent me back the little card included with the application saying–surprise!–that it was missing a Dean’s Certification. I suspect someone was belatedly doing their duty. sigh And I really wanted to go to UVa, too.

I’m not too upset, though. I’ve got acceptances from Georgetown and Michigan so far, and if the other five schools end up rejecting me my ego will be bruised but intact. As it stands right now, I’m going to Georgetown. I’ll reevaluate that position, obviously, depending on what happens when I finally hear back from Stanford and Yale.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to the experience, no matter where I end up. I’ve always been a little masochistic that way. :slight_smile:

First of all Enderw24, I want to say congratulations. Don’t worry about why they let you in. I’m sure that you’re grades were worth it. Perhaps they decided that the extra credit you took in Battle School was worth having you in.

Second, I’d like to ask if you have read the book One L by Scott Turow. It’s a nonfiction book about the author’s own first year of law school at Harvard. Even though it may seem a little dated in parts (particularly in reference to the textbook prices), it’s still a great read, and is one of the few non-fiction books that I know I’ve read more than five times. Even though I’m not a lawyer.

If you haven’t read it, consider checking it out. It’s not that long, and it is definitely worth the time.

Again, major congrats! :slight_smile:

Good suggestion shy ghost, but I read it three years ago. It’s the creepiest horror story I’ve ever seen.

The entire state of Maine’s got nothing on Boston.

Congratulations, Ender!!!

Robin

How many lawyers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Four - one to climb the ladder, one to hold the ladder, one to shake the ladder and one to sue the ladder company.

Congrads Ender!!! :slight_smile: