What's a good way to crumble a block of blue cheese?

I’ve got a block of “Crumbly Gorgonzola” that’s not really crumbling easily. Cutting off pieces with a knife is fine, but is there an easy way of getting those nice crumbles? Doing it by hand is messy and results in ugly, squashed balls.

Help?

It can be tricky if the cheese is really soft.

Try a fork, flaking bits off.

It also helps to have it really cold - like throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes before you try crumbling it.

Old thread, but almost exact for me recently. I like to add to endives crumbled blue cheese and walnuts. Could anyone suggest particular names of blues that crumble well? OP. I’ve tried Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

Thanks,
Leo

I buy it pre-crumbled.

Stilton?

I love Stilton (with Port, natch) but it’s been a long time since I dug into one. Isn’t it a little too creamy? I should note that empirical research on this is eminently worthwhile ;), but there are so many out there. Would a goat/cow mix work? Do blues exist as mix-milks? I could live with the taste tarting up.

Maytag crumbles well.

Large Hadron Collider

Here’s your problem: when I crumble cheese, my balls don’t enter into the process at all.

Just to jump in for a second… Melt that blue cheese on raisin bread with some grilled pears. It is freaking delicious. The chef at my mom’s retirement home makes it sometimes. Nom nom nom!

Blue cheese can be crumbled by hand if you have cold hands. If, like me (and Alton Brown) you tend to warm paws, then chill your cheese and run your hands under cold water for a bit before you crumble it.

Freeze the cheese, even for a short time, then thaw. It will crumble beautifully.