What's in a "Long Island Iced Tea"?

Can’t find a bartender’s drink recipe book, and I’d like to mix a few of these (but not too many!). How do you make them? Seems to me I heard the formula once, and they contained everything but the kitchen sink.

One shot each of: Gin, Rum, Vodka, and Tequila.
Splash of sour mix, splash of coke. Top with a lemon.

Owwww…

“Well, I guess this means the fun’s over.” -Gus Mc Crae
“It may be over, but it sure wasn’t fun.” - Woodrow Call

You might remember that our beloved moderator Gaudere recently wrote a mailbag article on cocktails. In a thread about her article, “Screwdriving Cocktails”, she mentioned this website, “Cocktail”. The site has a “virtual blender.”

Their recipe for Long Island Ice Tea

I was taught to also put in a shot of triple sec - and it’s most impressive if you can pick up all five bottles at once (three in one hand, two in the other). Makes a good show and then you get more people wanting to see it and pretty soon you have a whole bar full of obnoxious drunks. Then you steal their money when they’re not looking.

Just kidding.

[hijack] When I first heard about it, I thought, “Hey I like tea, maybe I’ll try one.” Thought about it a while longer. It finally dawned on me it probably doesn’t taste like sweetened tea.

Can’t you just see it now, mixing 6 or 8 packets of sugar in my drink. :wink:
[/hijack]

I never got a hangover from a LIIT (what an apropos acronym!), mostly because I would yak after the second one. They’re tasty, though.

Irishman, they are fairly sweet - from the sweet & sour mix and the coke. And they do taste kind of like iced tea made from powdered drink mix.

You might remember that our beloved moderator Gaudere recently wrote a mailbag article on cocktails.

Nope, I’m a newcomer to this hallowed board. But I’ll be sure to check out the cocktail links. Yeah, I used to drink LIIT’s as a pup, but haven’t had any in years. Hopefully I’ve learned moderation in the interim. However, am I the only one who gets bombed on just one nowadays, when I can remember the ability to drink four times as much when young, and never feel it the next day? Must be that one’s liver loses the ability to efficiently process out the toxins as one ages.

Okay, I checked out the “cocktail string,” and now I’m really thirsty. It’s approaching happy hour here in Silicon Valley, and it’s payday. Who’s buying?

What’s in a “Fog Cutter”?

Johnny L.A.: try the link mentioned in my first post (the link with the virtual blender.)

Fog Cutter

2 ounces white rum

1 ounce brandy

1/2 ounce gin

1 ounce orange juice

2 ounces lemon juice

1/2 ounce orgeat syrup

Sherry

Shake all ingredients except sherry with cracked ice. Pour into pint glass and pack with cracked ice; float sherry on top. Serve with a straw.

Anyway…

Different establishments will have slightly different recipies for different drinks, and the Long Island Ice Tea is one of them.

Sure, there is a “classic” recipie, but don’t expect it to be the exact same in every establishment.

Fortunately, with a drink as toxic as this, you won’t remember whether it was to your liking or not anyway…

Yer pal,
Satan

http://homepages.go.com/~cmcinternationalrecords/devil.gif

TIME ELAPSED SINCE I QUIT SMOKING:
Two weeks, six days, 16 hours, 33 minutes and 6 seconds.
827 cigarettes not smoked, saving $103.45.
Life saved: 2 days, 20 hours, 55 minutes.

Depending on where you live in the country Long Island Ice Teas will have anywhere from 5-7 different liquors in them.

BTW I LOVE a regular Iced Tea and a Long Island Iced Tea.

Hey, howcum Johnny L.A. didn’t get the “just drink the juice” admonition?

Hmmm … the version I was taught as a tarbender was a little different than some of the ones above, or was an amalgamation of a few:

One shot each of Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequila, Triple Sec and Rose’s Lime (not lemon) juice, then a splash of Coke for color.

You wouldn’t think something so potent would go down so smooooth … these should come with a “Danger” sign hanging off the straw.

I think the hodgepodge-y nature of the LIIT goes back to
the days of Prohibition. New York City and environs were about the wettest region of the country during those sad
days. Presumably given the highly variable quality of
what liquor there was, it made more sense to mix as many
ingredients as possible in order to mask the caustic taste
of one or more of them.

I don’t think elaborate mixed drinks existed before Prohibition, though I’m sure people mixed in a little water
or seltzer with whisky, etc.

pugluvr says:

You’ll have to ask the creators of the Cocktail web site, they seemed to have a negative opinion of the Long Island Iced Tea.