What's keeping China from being a major target for terrorism?

That’s true, and I wasn’t saying otherwise. Was responding to a specific point in a post. That said, they aren’t exactly stellar in stopping terrorism either, as there have been several acts in the last decade…some that killed quite a few people. And this despite draconian measures, especially against their various ethnic minority groups. But they certainly commit ‘cultural genocide’…ironically, the CCP has done a bang up job of killing the core traditional CHINESE culture. Even their written language. Certainly their history. Then you have the CCP’s control over the internal and external message, so when terrorism does happen it often doesn’t make a huge impact wrt the news inside or outside of China, unless it’s to China’s (the CCP’s) advantage to make it known.

But I think the answer to the OP has already been covered. It’s a combination of things, but mainly it comes down to draconian surveillance measures, suppression of ethnic minorities again using draconian measures, a lack of awareness outside of China that this stuff is going on (and of course the CCP control the message internally, though it does get out), and the isolation of China wrt it’s western borders for non-Chinese to come into China to do terrorism. It’s a reason China has built several bases at choke points of access to and from China on it’s western borders.

The wealthy are, like anywhere, a significant minority of the population. The homicide rate of China is negligible.

I’ll grant that it could be false, but I think if it were significantly so then there would be articles to that effect.

White collar crime, though, obviously that’s prolific but unmeasured since it’s effectively legal so long as you are in favor with the right people.

Seems to me a no brainer with the Republicans controling both houses of Congress and the Presidency to pass this now. Pray tell why should this wait for Democrats to take Congress?

Trump has already started a trade war on physical goods. Why not one on software and services?

Finally, cite on Google openly aiding the Chinese government for profit? Sergey very famously pulled Google out of the China market in 2010, after very publicly throwing down the gauntlet earlier over human rights.

Of course Republicans SHOULD do it, but they won’t.

Google has decided they want that Chinese money after all:

Ah, well in that case, we’ll wait for after the mid terms when the blue tsunami takes both houses, Ryan retires, Mueller shows beyond the shadow of a doubt that if his money laundering debts to the Russians (and maybe the Chinese with N Korea having a small taste) are subtracted out, then he is effectively bankrupt and has no clothes. Pence has peripheral blood on his hands that no amount of genuflecting to his god can wash off, resulting both Mammon and church boy getting ridden out of the swap, and President Pelosi will put saving Chinese Muslims on her top 10 smite list to accomplish in the first 90 days.

But again, what about Chinese targets OUTSIDE of china?

I’m thinking decades ago some PLO terrorists kidnapped some Russian diplomats or something and the Russians sent in their special forces.

Chinese businesses and offices are all over the world. Then there are millions of Chinese tourists everywhere. Could they become targets?

They almost certainly will at some point, as they are heavily involved in projects in Africa, the Middle East, East Asia and many other places and in fact have a large military base in Djibouti…the first large external Chinese military base in Africa. There is quite a bit of tension in some of these projects, since local labor isn’t being used, and instead Chinese workers are brought in. In addition, many see the way things are going with China’s debt trap tactics, and that is certainly going to cause some heartburn once more countries default and China snatches up key pieces of infrastructure or real estate. This is already happening, but eventually it’s going to heat up to the explosion point.

Republican’s don’t really go for those sorts of regulations, so it wouldn’t be an easy sell. In addition, there is more opposition on the Republican side to Trump’s tariffs play than you’d think (and, ironically, more support from the Dems who have always favored tariffs). Republican’s would see letting companies like Google do as they like wrt going along with the CCP in doing censoring (I’m surprised you don’t know about this), thinking it pragmatic, while Dems would be more opposed on human rights grounds…and Dems are more likely to pass legislature that imposes restrictions and regulations.

As for your second paragraph, Trump’s trade war is about a trade imbalance, at it’s core, so why exactly WOULD he put restrictions on a US company doing business in China…that’s exactly what he wants to ‘fix’ the trade balance after all. If Trump was doing this because of the threat the CCP is to US business, if he were doing this because the CCP uses state assets to basically steal and reverse engineer US (and many other countries) intellectual property to the benefit of Chinese companies then he probably would push for a ban on private US flagged companies in assisting the CCP in their efforts to censor everything or ban US flagged companies from complying with CCP mandates of tech transfer for companies doing business in China, but he’s doing this for all the wrong reasons because of the trade deficit. He has a very simplistic view of how international trade works, based more on ‘this number is definitely bigger than that one, so that’s bad…must fix!’.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. If Trump is really playing hardball, he has to include goods and services. Like Google access to the Chinese market, or enforcement of Windows licensing, and of course IP

BTW, I worked for MSFT China for quite a while and during the Google thing.

I’m unsure how you think this would be Trump playing hardball. Certainly, if his actual motive was different than ‘we have a trade deficit’ he’d do this. But as it’s not, I have no idea why you think it would occur to him as he wants to increase US sales to China and restore what he thinks is a balance in trade between the two countries. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Trump has a sophisticated enough position to know what IP is, or how Chinese knock-offs wrt trademark and licensing hurt us. He just knows that $500 billion plus is more than $200 billion plus because he saw it on Sesame Street once.

As for you working for MSFT, I did recall you saying that before, so that’s why I was puzzled that you don’t seem to know the latest from Google. It was, to me, an odd cite request coming from you.

The U.S. persecutes its domestic Muslims very little, but makes its presence in the Middle East strongly felt, siding with Israel, using its influence to undermine Palestinian hopes rather than dampen Israeli expansionism. It never acts to oppose Israeli terrorism, but opposes some Islamist terrorist groups with wide support. Wahhabism is unpopular among most Muslims so the U.S. alliance with the House of Saud is also a problem.

Chinese anti-Muslim evil may far exceed that of the U.S. but it’s internal to China so does not impact on Middle East politics. China’s internal affairs are largely irrelevant to Arab activists.

True enough, though that might be changing. As China has become more active in the ME, Africa and South East Asia, etc, they are having more of a noticeable impact. And that impact has been mixed. On the one hand, China is willing to hand over bags of cash with (seemingly) no strings attached wrt human rights or government policy to do large scale infrastructure projects. A marked difference from the US and the west who often do put strings on any loans they are giving. The other side of the coin is, China is willing to work with often very corrupt regimes and put their countries into a huge debt trap, often gaining control of ports or other critical infrastructure as part of a repayment. Sure, some corrupt official getting their pockets lined today isn’t going to care about giving up a port to the Chinese for 99 years…they got theirs, after all…but it’s going to create an environment where a lot of folks are going to be pretty pissed off at the Chinese when they start putting the screws to the country in question. Especially since often the actual strings attached are that taking a large loan from China for a large infrastructure project really means that it will be Chinese labor doing the work, so the benefits to most of the people in those countries is pretty minimal (since in the end it will be China controlling it anyway).

Maybe my comments were not clear: Trump economics and trade is a freaking disaster, and using tariffs as a tool to correct trade imbalances shows how pathetically little he understands. “Trade wars are easy to win.” If he’s going to take a bat shit crazy approach, why not extend that to services, software and IP?

I hadn’t seen that Google was making a serious play for China, and color me skeptical that they are or can. Given BATS (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent) dominance with government support, Chinese government control of information including search, and Sergey’s original throw down, I’m just not seeing a credible Google campaign. Maybe it’s insurance to have some sort of presence should controls relax and foreign companies are allowed to expand? Beyond that, I don’t see the Chinese government allowing Google or any other foreign search engines to have anything beyond a token presence.

I agree…his trade policies and trade war are ill thought out (if we can give him the benefit of the doubt of thinking). I’d say he won’t extend it to IP and software because those are coming from the US to China, not the other way around, and as I said I think he has a very simplistic view of how any of this complex trade stuff works. What he sees is X dollars the US spends on Chinese goods and services is less than the Y dollars the Chinese spend on ours, and what you are talking about would mainly be in the Y category from his perspective, so I doubt he’s want to interfere with that…he, instead, wants to encourage more Y, as to him that’s a good thing and a goal in and of itself.

I also agree with your assessment of Google’s chances in China. Even leaving aside well established and supported home grown Chinese companies, they also have an uphill battle against the CCP, as you note. But your question was if Google had changed it’s policy on openly aiding the CCP in their censoring bit for profit…and I was surprised you didn’t know they had done so, in a to me vain attempt to gain market share in China. This was a contradiction to their old policy, which you noted.