What's shakin', crafty Dopers?

Check your emails. Glad I can help!

Awesomeness all around! Miss Purl and Labelless, I can’t imagine putting all that work into a DISHCLOTH! I’d never be able to use it. Idlewild, Mahna Mahna, zwiesamkeit – holy cow! I never had the patience to learn elaborate knitting patterns. Wonderful stuff.

What Exit, my kid would have killed (with a trebuchet) for a castle set like that!
Nawth Chucka**, the Altoids tins are totally cool. (And I’m all in for something like **gwendee ** described.) Shryn King, I wish you could have met my mom, who did beautiful smocking. I have such fond memories of all those Easter dresses she smocked for us. Sounds like your daughter will have such memories, too.

I am soooo excited about my newest thing! My sister turned me on to Gabbert Cullet, which sells cullet from Fenton Glass. I was in heaven! I spent two hours sifting through huge mountains of glass. I had this concept in mind…and at $1 a pound, I could afford a lot for experimentation.

So, I took some of the pieces I bought, tumbled them in a rock tumbler to give them a beach glass finish, then did this. The pic vastly embiggens the piece, which is about 2.5" long. Most of those seed beads are 11/0s. I’ll have to take pictures of the others I’ve done since that first one.

Oh my, freckafree, that is beautiful! Yes, more pictures please!

And as far as the dishcloths go, they’re cotton. They can take a beating and keep looking good. Thats why I love them so.

Dig the hat, Mahna Mahna. Very cute. I bet it looks gorgeous in the cherry red. Pictures soon please.

Freckafree, thanks, I love doing the lace work… and am addicted to adding seed beads to all my knitting. However, I am in total awe of your beady work on that glass piece. Lovely! So organic and pretty shiny. I want!

Labelless, somehow I talked myself into production line dishcloth knitting for my home - my husband does 99% of the housework and would like to switch from sponges so… I volunteeredish. I’m making the classic ball-band dishcloths. They’re such fun, and instant gratification more or less. I love the colours in the yarn for your mother’s dishcloths and they look like a great sturdy pattern with not too much floppiness. Overabundant floppiness appears to be the enemy of the great dishcloth.

Idlewild, I totally agree about floppiness. I like to keep them simple, with basic stitches, I’ve made a few lacier ones on request, but I’m a utilitarian at heart. I had to google ball band, and I know that stitch! There’s a crochet version in my book of dishcloth patterns. I’ll have to give that a try, it looks scrubby.
I found out that I converted my father at least. He’s been using my step mom’s cloth, and now they’ve ordered ten more. His exact words? “I never thought something so pretty could be such a workhorse.” Sends my heart a flutter it does.

My crochet skill level is pathetic as yet … I can do blanket square edges if reminded of what I’m doing repeatedly :wink: But that’s neat that there’s an equivalent. It IS very scrubby - and pretty sturdy. The slipped stitches help hold it up. I’m trying to picture how that would work in crochet and coming up with my brain = empty.

I do a little bit of nearly everything, and this month I’ve been doing the “thing-a-day” - a crafty version of nanowrimo.

Here’s my contributions: Thing-A-Day.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Idlewild, this is the closest I can get in a hurry.

Totally reminds me of a brick wall.
My knitting skills are pretty dismal, but I’m getting better. I’m in love with the Knifty Knitter. I long for an Infinity Loom.
I’ve heard of Thing a Day zyada, you’ve been busy! I may have to try that next year. You’re doing a great job!

That does look exactly brickwallesque! Very cool

I expected to have terrible knitting skills, but once it clicked, it really clicked. I have lousy spacial geometry skills in every other aspect of life, but I can read knitting like nobody’s business. I’m the one at work who gets to fix everyone else’s mistakes now. :smack:

zyada, your soaps are so very very pretty!! The rest of the ‘things’ are interesting and lovely, but the soaps really draw my eye with that beautiful colour!

I have no idea what to do with it. The cocoons end up on the purl side of the piece, so it needs to be ribbed, but there’s not very much of it. Maybe a hat band?

Anyway, if you love to cocoon yarn, I would love to give it to you, because it needs a good home.

Also, it’s kind of delicate. One of the cocoons already fell off.

I just took up jewelry-making. When I get home, I’ll post pics of some of my first thingies.

What I want to do now is look up some jewelcrafting recipies from WoW and create those. I think that would be fun.

freckafree, I love that pink glass pendant! I go ga-ga for glass in just about any format. Hiding somewhere in a box, I’ve got several pieces of pretty sea glass that I’ve collected from various travels, but I never quite knew what to do with my shiny pretties… wrapping it up with seed beads is genius!

So I guess you figured out the right formula for tumbling the glass?

Very nice piece, by the way.

Actually, my method (if one can call it that) was fairly haphazard. I used my kid’s dinky plastic tumbler, filled it about 2/3 full, added water and about half a packet of medium grit from the “refill” kit we had on hand, and tumbled it about a day and a half.

If there’s a better way, tell me, please!

Oh, I don’t know any. I haven’t tried it yet. I was hoping to learn from you. :stuck_out_tongue:
I did post some links I had found about it in your previous thread on the subject.

I HAVE to finish the paid of socks I have on the needles now lol.

First, the pair is for my friend’s birthday (very shortly) and second I have some lovely spring-like yarn that I couldn’t help buying because it’s too brown and grey here right now. I won’t let myself start the next pair until I finish this one! I plan to make some Garter Toes with it.

Besides, the pattern is intended for magic loop or double circular users and I only have one size 1 circular long enough for magic loop… in the sock I’m making now.

:smack: I thought that thread had tanked and I never saw your reply! Those are great links – thanks! I might try the sand method.

I’m glad you like, Mahna Mahna. I’m using even-count peyote stitch to make the “wrapping.”

Here are a few more. (I still need to weave my thread ends back in on that pale lavender one.)

This is the second necklace I ever made.

My first bezel (it’s backwards cuz I’m a spaz) and the bracelet I attached it to.

My second bezel (not backwards) and the necklace I attached it to.

And a delecate bracelet.

Lovely wire work! (And maille – another thing, like knitting, that makes me stare stupidly while drool dribbles down my chin, because I DON’T comprehend how it’s done.)

You can advise me on how to make nicer bails for my glass pendants.