What's something that people claim happens a lot, but you have rarely, or never, witnessed it?

Happened to me a lot, back when I wore one. But I was a hippie girl in overalls at the time, probably not the same thing.

Yes, they are generally, I think. There is a travel corridor used by moose in the ravine below our house and although I’ve seen moose turds I’ve never seen an actual moose.

Overall, people who haven’t seen wildlife just don’t spend a lot of time outdoors in non-suburban or wilderness areas (particularly at dawn and dusk when more of them are out and about, it would seem to me. You could also simply be unobservant. I am not unobservant but when I hang out with wildlife biologists they point out all kinds of animals I never would have seen.

People who haven’t seen a snake in the wild, though. Just wow. They are everywhere.

I’ve never seen a customer abuse or berate a checker in a supermarket (I reckon it must be a US thing given the number of times I’ve heard it complained about on this page).

I’ve never seen older people chastise young parents for the behaviour of their bratty kids.

Seriously, most of the so-called ‘anti-social’ shit I hear of comes from the US. The rest of the world seems chill.

Anything?”

“Anything.”

“Anything at all?”

“Oh yes…”

“Would you…write the essay yourself?”

It’s endless. And it’s not just the US. Go to YouTube and search “Karens”

People are trip’n

Had it happen to me a few times, and I only worked in a convenience store for a couple of months- in the UK. Yelling, threatening, even throwing stuff (though that was only once, and he did get banned). Assholes are everywhere I’m afraid, even if we call them arseholes instead.

Never seen wild bears or moose; that is more of a North American thing. Seen snakes though…

If he played that much, I totally believe it. But did you see it? My point was that I’ve played golf for over 30 years, and played with many many different people who all claimed low golf scores. But when I actually played with them, it was obvious they were exaggerating or taking major relief at odds with the rules. One guy I remember shot a legitimate 84, so certainly not impossible, and another guy has a house at Pine Hurst just to play golf, so I believe him too.

Now, I will say that I live in the northeast where it’s only golf weather for 7 months at most, so most people I know are part time weekend players, and I’m not exposed to the really good golfers around here. But a friend and I determined a couple of decades ago to add 12 strokes to whatever score a random person tells you they shoot.

It happened to my mom once. Not enough to boil it all away, but it did blast a fair bit of the water up on to the ceiling of the microwave. Fortunately this happened in the final seconds of heating, before she had a chance to open the door and put her hand anywhere near it.

I’ve also had it happen pretty badly on a conventional stovetop:

It sounds like you’re talking about “old enough to know” what happened during the marriage. Even there, I would quibble whether kids truly understand their parents’ marriage and why each parent acts the way they do.

But the real brainwashing happens after the marriage is over, if the ex-wife is the custodial parent. At that point, a high percentage of what the children - of whatever age - know about the father’s actions and motivations comes from wife. If the wife makes it very difficult for the father to visit and then tells the kids that the father is not interested in visiting them, or tells the kids they can’t have X because Dad is not giving enough money, etc. then that’s not something that “old enough to know” has any bearing on.

:face_with_monocle:

Maybe. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but my sister couldn’t have told her son he couldn’t have X because his father didn’t pay child support, because the situation was such that even at age 8, my nephew wouldn’t have believed her. And my nephew understood that when his father didn’t show up as promised on Saturday , it wasn’t because his mother made it difficult. In fact , her complaint ( to me, not the kid) was that he was so unreliable regarding visitation that she couldn’t make her own plans for when it was supposed to happen.

I’m not saying that parents never brainwash their kids against the other parent or even that the custodial parent finds it easier to do so - but plenty of kids come to their own conclusion based on what they see.

The same goes for shooting. Many people brag on their marksmanship skills, claim quarter inch group sizes, etc. And it seems like every person who served in the military says they shot at an “expert” level in BT. Yet when they shoot on my range, they’re lucky to get on paper.

Points for username / post combination.

Well, there was that one time I played a round with an actual PGA champion touring pro. I mean, I have played with good golfers too, but with him it was more, “DAAAAY-um!”

But I would never put that in the category of “people claim happens a lot…”

I don’t think this contradicts anything I’ve said. Obviously there are plenty of deadbeat fathers out there.

This thread is about things that people claim happens a lot but you have rarely or never seen. Parental alienation would be an example if it rarely or never happened. But unfortunately, it does happen a lot.

To varying degrees, or course. Not every case is a situation where the mother sets out to depict the ex as a horrible monster. But it’s common for people to have negative views about their ex-spouses, and to one degree or another, that attitude can come out in interactions with kids.

It would be common for two people to have differences of opinion over who is being more reasonable as to accomodating visitation, and the custodial parent’s view has a lot more opportunity to come across and is much more likely to prevail.

Possibly worth mentioning, FWIW, that I am familiar with cases of mothers who successfully alienated their kids from their fathers but had it all fall apart - and possibly rebound against them - when the kids grew up and were able to interact without an intermediary. But not nearly every case, and in any event, missing out on the relationship during the childhood years can never be replaced. But that’s beyond the scope of this thread.

I was contradicting the part I quoted, specifically this part

At that point, a high percentage of what the children - of whatever age - know about the father’s actions and motivations comes from wife.

On a different note

This thread is about things that people claim happens a lot but you have rarely or never seen.

Exactly - you say it happens a lot but I have rarely seen it :slightly_smiling_face:

I know when guys brag about being propositioned by pretty women it’s a lie. I have never been propositioned by a pretty woman and I’m a hunk. I keep my mullet well groomed and my leisure suits free of lint. My facial features are somewhat symmetrical, I carry my few dozen extra pounds well and I keep my chins held high. If a stud like me doesn’t get propositioned, no guy would. It must be an urban legend.

Fan Boys

They’re a thing that comes up in online discussions a lot, but I tend to think they’re more straw than real.

On the sites I hang out it tends to be “Apple fan boys,” or what made me think about it from another thread on this board, “Musk fan boys.” Sometimes there’s one or two comments that go over the line in praise or attack, but the “legions” just never turn out for me.

Fan Boys are people who are cheerleaders for a product, person, company, etc., and who will vigorously defend it, and attack anybody who says anything bad about it. This is different from somebody who merely likes or uses the product, person, company, etc.

In my experience, if you want to find out what is wrong with Macs/iPhones, talk to people who use Apple stuff. If you want to find out when Musk is making promises about cars that he can’t keep, talk to people who drive a Tesla.

This is also not mere differences in opinion. “The new iPhone is not much of an upgrade over the last model” “No, there’s a bunch of important new features.” That’s just opinion, and not real Scottsman fan boy behavior.

Fan Boy is something like, “The new iPhone has a flaw in the camera where it can crash when…” “You are a stupid person, the camera is perfect, the iPhone is perfect, you could never build something as important and cool as an iPhone, if you ever left your Mom’s basement you’d know…”

Yeah, this has been my experience whenever it’s happened.

I have had people compliment me on my fedora.

Hats are very practical.

I don’t get this online hate for fedoras. It isn’t there irl. I heard some woman went through a dating site, and rated a bunch of men as “losers” - based almost entirely on their photo. At that time, many younger men wore a trilby, and so she went on about losers wearing fedoras, not being smart enough to know the difference. Of course, those guys might not have been losers at all.

Food fights led to a sad episode of my young life. Once a week they had “hot dog day” which we looked forward to. There were squeeze dispensers for mustard, ketchup and relish. The kids would squirt each other, of course.

So they took those away. The servers didn’t like us kids, so they didn’t allow us to order our hot dog with mustard or whatever (I was then, and have always been a mustard man, disdaining ketchup or echh sweet relish) (Dill relish is rare but good as are pickles). Instead they mixed mayo, relish, ketchup and mustard together- and you had the choice of getting that disgusting glop or nothing at all.

So Hot Dog day was ruined.

My wife works at Kroger, and it is very much a thing.