What's the best way to send someone money in another country?

I need to send my girlfriend (who’s in Taiwan) the money for the deposit for our apartment, since I won’t be arriving in Taipei for another two weeks. What’s the best way to send money to someone in another country.

Paypal?

Western Union?

Directly to her bank?

I doubt many people have had to do this, but if anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate it.

direct telegraphic transfer (TT) to her bank or to the real estate/landlord company bank account.

there will be a service charge and you can ask what that is. Usually around $10

Another option is to directly deposit money into her checking/ATM account and she can just withdraw it there as the local currency. Depending on the bank (both her US one and whoever owns the ATM she withdraws money from), there might be a small surcharge, but it shouldn’t be more than $5 or so and there shouldn’t be a percentage charge.

The worst part is the exchange rate, I think. Not sure how you can deal with that most effectively…

When I tried to direct deposit into an Australian bank account from Canada, they told me it was going to be a few days. Boo. Western Union, however, did it right away. I know there was a surcharge, but I don’t remember what it was.

Direct TT is (from my experience) the way to go. I send money from my account in the Middle East home to Australia every few months by TT. My internet banking (with HSBC) has all the necessaries to arrange it without having to go anywhere near an actual bank. It usually takes 2-3 business days to arrive and costs about US$15, but I have found it to be cheaper and far less complicated than Western Union.

I don’t know what’s the best way, but if it were an emergency, I would use western union, since the person could get the money immediatly. If I needed proofs of the payment (for instance if you were sending themoney directly to the landlord), I would transfer the money directly to the bank account (I wouldn’t use paypal because I disliked something in their general conditions regarding privacy, hence didn’t suscribed, but that’s just me).

In any case, since I assume you’re still in France, I mostly posted to mention that here, you can send money via western union from any post office, which avoid having to hunt down a western union office.
Good luck with your new culture shock…

Just deposit the money to her account and she can withdraw it from an ATM via Visa or Mastercard.