What's the BEST Western Movie?

Well, if we can choose more than one, I must include Tatonka, also.

Thank you Chefguy for mentioning Dances with Wolves.

My voting is based on how many times I have seen the Best western.

I’m glad someone included Silverado on their list. It’s not too serious, but the characters are very distinct and it has a great finish.

Not correct.

Jorge De Hoyos was a farmer. Horst Buchholz was the other one of the Seven

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

It’s a … I don’t know what you would call it … almost a parody by magnifying every aspect of the genre, but done well and more seriously, and very enjoyable. I guess you could call it a tribute to the Western genre.

Heh. I just remembered that Costner is in that. I probably forgot because he was making a rare (for him at the time) character appearance.*
*If no one knows what i mean…think of the typical Clooney smooth MF role, and then his turn in Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

You guys. It’s “Son’s of Katy Elder”, “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence” and then whatever else you got.

The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Of course. So much so that the thread should be renamed “What’s the SECOND-BEST Western Movie, After “Blazing Saddles”?”

Another vote for Silverado. I love the opening scene where Glenn grabs the twirling rifle, blows the guy away, and opens the cabin door…revealing that spectacular vista looking out across a river valley and open range beyond.

Couldn’t vote for just one. Those are films that I will watch any time I come across them on the tube. I know it’s not cool to like Kevin Costner and his films, but that one was truly a blockbuster: well plotted, well written, tight editing and direction, great acting, and outstanding cinematography. 12 Oscar nominations, and won for best picture, best director, best screen play and best editing. I wish Graham Greene had won best supporting, but Joe Pesci was outstanding in Goodfellas.

That’s too bad my mention really was meant as an invitation to do that and add another data point to the conversation not say this ground has already been covered.

I should clarify my position. Silverado is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time and my dog is named Paden. The editing of the Paden/Emmit love triangle makes it lose greatness due to being confusing what really happened. Damned enjoyable movie though.

I’ve always wanted to stay there! The last time I was nearby they were showing Rango, but the forecast was for rain and temps in the 40s so I gave it a pass.

Thanks for clarifying. That old thread and the follow-up poll were okay as far as they went, but the issue seems to be (as in this thread’s case) that there are just too many GREAT Westerns (both TV and movies) and picking Just One is hard if not impossible. I know in my own case that saying Shane is my all-time favorite is just the way I feel at the moment (Jan/2016) and I could easily name a dozen on equal footing.

Just to settle the links issue, here are two recent threads that I know of:

Best Western (movie)
03-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Zeldar

#116 06-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Zeldar

Best Western (not the motel chain)
04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
MovieMogul

#51 04-07-2015, 11:02 PM
SandyHook

Huh, 2010. Ya, that was totally just last summer. Every once in a while I get the feeling I’ve been on this board too long. I’m sure the '99er get that feeling way more often.

OMG! What an oversight!

I know there is a lot of controversy about this movie. But it is a western and I loved it.

The Hateful Eight

Another oversight.

Virginia City (1940) is a great western. It stars Erol Flynn, Randolph Scott, Miriam Hopkins, Alan Hale and Humprhey Bogart. BTW, Alan Hale is the father of the skipper in Gilligan’s Island and one of my favorite character actors from the 30s and 40s.

Bogart is to laugh at. He plays a Mexican bandido and he has the worst Mexican accent I ever heard. But he is only on screen for a very short time and the rest of the movie is a lot of fun. The dance hall numbers are especially memorable. The songs will stick in your head for years to come.

“You idiot, he’s hit everything he’s aimed at.”

Silverado is what I call an “almost epic” movie; it had a good director, some very good actors, and a decent script, but…when it comes to modern ‘epic’ Westerns, Unforgiven will probably beat it out.

Still a good watch for a lazy Saturday…

Gosh! Thanks for the correction. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I think it’s Eastwood’s best western, even better than Unforgiven.

I’ll mention another I haven’t seen listed yet – The Professionals.