What's the BEST Western Movie?

The Long Riders

The Grey Fox

Oh god. I think Bundy watched #11 one time to many.

Open Range (2003)

7.5/10

A former gunslinger is forced to take up arms again when he and his cattle crew are threatened by a corrupt lawman. (139 mins.)

It usually doesn’t get picked as one of the best or even the best John Ford movie but I think Fort Apache is a masterfully made Western. Henry Fonda plays very much against type and is fantastic. Well he played against his movie type anyway. Peter Fonda: “People ask me from time to time what it was like growing up with Henry Fonda as my father. I say, Ever see Fort Apache? He was like Colonel Thursday.”

After that I would say the usual, *The Searchers *and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Winchester 73

There may be others I like more and watch more frequently (Silverado) but there is not part of that movie that isn’t perfect.

I’m pretty sure Zeldar did a poll on this just last summer so we should have at least a Dope consensus somewhat recently.

Just for that I’m not even going to link to it! So there! :frowning:

I knew there was a Holiday Inn movie, but I’ve never seen the Best Western one.

The Searchers and Once Upon a Time in the West have already been mentioned. I’ll add The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Shootist.

As a kid my favorite was Cat Ballou.

I’d put it high on the list. It’s very much like a sequel to McClintock but that had more of a comedy element to it, and the characters though similar are supposed to be different people. I think it was a very good Western, but the genre was in decline by the 70s.

In no particular order, and not a complete list:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Shane
Silverado
Once Upon a Time in the West
Rio Bravo
Little Big Man
True Grit (I prefer the original nostalgically, the remake might be the better movie)
Jeremiah Johnson
The Cowboys

Was that before or after puberty?

Jane Fonda was a very frequent bedmate of mine. At least, in my imagination.

So many wonderful movies she made and she just fulfilled my very horny young - imagination - most especially: Cat Ballou, Walk on the Wild Side, Barbarella and Klute.

Oh, what wonderful films!

By definition, it’s whatever is playing at the BEST WESTERN Movie Manor.

No doubt! :slight_smile: Any idea what’s tonight’s feature? Smiley Burnette and what?

Shane

It’s a tough question, there are a lot of greats that are deconstructions of the genre (The Good, The Bad; Trye Grit; etc.), but to be the best, it has to be the template all others acknowledge in their form and for that I’d have to agree with High Noon.

Surely Hombre has got to be up there.

Tombstone
3:10 to Yuma

Tombstone
Unforgiven
Dances With Wolves
The Oxbow Incident
Lonesome Dove (TV movie, but still a movie)
Little Big Man

Classic: The Wild Bunch
Modern: Unforgiven

Favorite: Rio Lobo
Best: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

So many good ones named already.

My personal favourite is ‘The Magnificent Seven’, because of:

• the testosterone-filled acting
  • the plot (thanks to Kurosawa :cool: )
  • the music

Vin: We deal in lead, friend.

Villager: If he’s the best with the gun and the knife, with whom does he compete?
Chris: Himself

Chico: Ah, that was the greatest shot I’ve ever seen.
Britt: The worst! I was aiming at the horse.
P.S. Can you name the seven actors? Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter and Jorge De Hoyos

Curse of the Undead. Vampire western; has all the cliches of a standard horse opera, plus some Dracula hokum sprinkled throughout. I wouldn’t dare give away the ending.