What's the deal with the Zolex Hammer?

I have a few questions about “Zolex Hammer” golf club. If you don’t know what it is, just know that it is such a joke of a product that Billy Mays wouldn’t even touch it.

1. What the hell is “Zolex metal”? They claim it is 300% harder than titanium and 2x as light. While the confusion generated by their mixture of percentages and multiples makes that seem more dramatic than it is, what are they not telling us? Either it’s completely false (see following question) or there is some terrible property of this alloy that makes it useless in most applications. I can’t find anything on it… help?

2. How can this company not be facing false advertising suits? They guarantee that it outdrives Callaway drivers (which they mention by name) by 50 yards. Surely the fact that the Hammer has USGA-banned features doesn’t actually increase drives by 50 yards over top-of-the-line Callaway woods, so what am I missing? Too vague for a lawsuit?

Help me out, I want to be able to laugh even harder at this infomercial the next time I see it on late-night Golf Channel commercials. In related news, if you find any legal miracle clubs, let me know so I can stop watching the damn Golf Channel to improve my game.

Online reviews indicate that the face is pretty dead, as I’d expect from a ridiculously hard alloy. They say the distance comes from the whippy shaft.

Three times harder than titanium and twice as light?

Sounds like a ceramic to me…?

How is hardness being measured here? Resistance to scratching, resistance to indentation, or increased rebound?

And what the hell does “2x as light” mean, anyway? Half the weight for a given unit volume?

Same density, there’s just half as much of it.

I’m still struggling to find any more information on it. Everything I’ve run into is infomercial mumbo-jumbo completely devoid of facts. For example, this:

“The secret is Zolex 21st Century metal that’s 300% harder than titanium, yet twice as light. Add to that a patented Triplekick Smartshaft that increases club speed by 25%, G force technology that optimizes centrifugal and club head speed, an aerodynamic jet wing design and a 10-degree launching angle, and you have a club that can’t be beat.”

I guess that facts are few and far between on the subject, especially considering nobody in the world had ever heard of this material (at least under the name Zolex) before this ridiculous club.

I think this is the same problem people have with “three times cheaper” (meaning one-third the cost) and similar poorly constructed phrases. Either the author doesn’t have a good grasp of fractions or she thinks her audience doesn’t.

I suppose it could mean that it is twice as heavy. It’s a way of misusing and torturing words to deceive but isn’t that their objective? If 5 lbs. is half as heavy as 10 lbs. then isn’t 10 lbs. twice as light as 5 lbs.?

I have no doubt the material is nothing special. Being harder than titanium is not exactly difficult. Titanium, as a pure elemental metal, is not nearly as hard as a properly mixed and heat treated titanium alloy. Twice as light probably refers to the weight of the club head, rather than the density of the alloy. It’s easy to make a club head lighter when you’re using a stronger alloy.

Reardon Metal golf clubs?

I think you’re on to something. “Light” and “heavy” are relative terms- if you’re talking about bowling balls, 5 lbs. is light, but for something you’d have to carry in a backpack all day, a 5 lb. item is heavy. I notice they don’t claim “half the weight” of titanium- that would be much easier to disprove (or prove).