Whats the difference between a burrito, a soft taco, a chimmi-changa, etc.

Migas! There, it’s settled.

When I’m hungover, I want the simplest words possible to order breakfast. :smiley:

That must be another USA controversy. There is no confusion here between the 2 dishes.

As usual, The Onion has the answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not really. Peasant food is always filled with the cheapest, most filling thing possible, so a basic bean and rice burrito would be what would be expected. If you had money or livestock, then you had meat for the burrito.

Tio - chalk it up to regional variation. As long as you don’t have celiac or something like it, they’re all good eats.

Mexican food invented in Texas, California, New Mexico, or Arizona is just as authentic Mexican as food invented in Oaxaca.

Everytime I’ve had “Mexican” food in Canada, it’s been somewhere between bad & hideously awful. You’d think I would learn, but I keep thinking the next restaurant will be different.

But I’d generally expect:
soft taco: food placed in center of smallish tortilla, totilla folded over
burrito: food completely encased (ends folded over, rolled up) in medium-to-largeish tortilla
chimichanga: deep fried burrito
enchilada: food rolled into corn tortilla (must be corn. burritos are usually flour but I wouldn’t be surprised for it to be corn, and soft tacos could be anything), covered in sauce, then baked.
fajita: stir fry with tortillas - it should be steak, but it’s frequently not.

There is an authentic Mexican restaraunt locally (that doesn’t really serve any of these thing) and it’s really, really tasty.

The large ‘Tex-Mex’ type restaraunt probably Julio’s Barrios and I’ve had some pretty decent food there; however, my expectations could very well be lower. I’ve never eaten Tex-Mex in Texas or Arazona or wherever so I probably don’t know what I’m missing.

I also have a question about the ‘very fattening’ comment. While I agree that you can get super fatty Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes, a normal sized bean burrito (for instance) doesn’t seem outrageous - am I forgetting some key, super fatty ingredient? Fajita’s seem sort of ok as well - grilled veg and a tortilla seem not so bad??

Just ball-parking it…1 cup of refried beans will average about 230-240 calories and 3 grams of fat. A half cup of shredded cheddar runs 265 calories. The tortilla can range from 81 to 150 calories. Add in a few for the salsa and you have about 625 calories per burrito, minus the sour cream, which is another 60 calories.

Not “very fattening” but not “lo-cal” either.

That’s a helluva big burrito. I don’t think I could eat a cup of refried beans if I had all day to do it. Also, 3 grams of fat seems very reasonable for a regular meal.

Ditto on the cheese - that sounds like a lot (although I guess it depends who makes your burrito).

All that being said, I don’t think a 600 calorie dinner is outrageous. Breakfast is usually about 400 cals and Lunch is about 500 - that’s a 1500 cal a day diet - that is ok for someone maintaining their weight (assuming they’re not a big person - it would be a diet for a big man or something).

What’s the name? Is it in Vancouver, by any chance?

How so? Is the culture of México the same there as in Oaxaca? The food in México is a reflection of our culture. There is a great difference in the culture of México and the culture of the US even in the places with a lot of Mexican influence.

That is like saying the Chinese food or Italian food etc in the US is as authentic as it is in the country of origen.

No - sorry!

It’s called Salt & Pepper and it’s in Calgary. I just looked and there are actually 3 locations - a Mexican friend (as in, a friend who’s moved here from Mexico) has said the food is very authentic.

EVERY enchilada I’ve ever had, and often at places run by “real” mexicans was a flour based tortilla wrap, not corn. And our local place that had the best enchiladas I’ve ever had (it was the sauce that made it special) in business for over 40 years closed down recently :frowning: I am seriously thinking of hunting down the retired owner to get the recipe.

Of course, maybe all “my real mexicans” came from a part of mexico where they used flour rather than corn tortillas for the wrapping.

Reminds me of a comedy routine where the guy pretends to be a waiter at a mexican resteraunt. The customer keeps asking whats in this or that or this or that…of course, the answer for ALL of it is pretty much the same.

Where in the world do they use flour tortillas for tacos? Stockholm? A taco is a folded corn tortilla with filling. Soft tacos are made with unfried corn tortillas. Hard tacos are made with corn tortillas that are fried to make them crisp. Hard tacos aren’t common in Mexico.

A burrito is a flour tortilla rolled up around a filling. The ends of the tortilla are typically closed so that the filling doesn’t spill out. A chimichanga is the same thing that’s been deep-fried to make the tortilla brown and crisp.

I have never seen an enchilada made with flour tortillas, but I won’t insist that it can’t be done. An enchilada is a tortilla dish that has been cooked in a chile sauce. The name in Spanish roughly translates as “chilied” (yeah, I know, I’m verbing a noun). The sauce is often made from dried red chiles, but can be made from other types of chiles (green enchiladas are made from fresh green chiles). Enchiladas are typically made from corn tortillas that have been rolled around a filling, covered with chile sauce and baked. One can also make enchiladas by layering tortillas with filling - it is not necessary to roll them. I can’t see how flour tortillas would hold up to this treatment - I would think they’d turn to mush.

Fajitas are a type of marinated meat that’s been char-broiled or grilled with onions and peppers. They are typically served with tortillas (either flour or corn) on the side, but one could also put fajitas in a taco or burrito (I don’t think they’d work very well in enchiladas). Fajitas come from Tex-Mex cuisine, which is Mexican or Mexican-style food that was developed in Texas.

Damn you :slight_smile:

Now you have me wondering if I just cant tell the difference between a flour and a corn tortilla when its used in a burrito or enchilada or just have it ass backwards. The soaking, baking, and drenched in sauce thing probably isnt helping.

Maybe its that whole tamale angle thats got me confused, as well as the obviously corn taco shells that I am used to.

Del Taco

Taco Bell

Cooks.com

For the last time, hard tacos (tacos dorados) are VERY common in México. The flauta which is usually made with a larger than normal tortilla, is a type of taco. The taquitos are made with a smaller corn tortilla.

Enchiladas are normally NOT baked in México. They are usually made by dipping the corn tortilla in a heated sauce and then rolled around a filling and garnished to taste.

But I also have never seen or heard of an enchilada prepared with flour tortillas.

And Seattle.

Imagine my surprise when I got some fish tacos at a pub I frequent for lunch, and when I got back to my desk discovered that they were made with flour tortillas. And cheese!

OK, I frequently see cheese in fish tacos. I don’t think it belongs, but it’s common. The fish was great. And the cabbage. And the sauce. But it was freakin’ weird eating fish tacos on flour tortillas.

Actually the Del Taco site says the use yellow corn tortillas - or did I miss something?

Flour shelled fish tacos is not the norm, but I’ve seen them. But cheese? That’s just bizarre. I’m used to the fish tacos in Baja: soft corn tortillas, fish, cabbage, white sauce. With a squeeze of lime and a Carta Blanca.

Damn. Now I’m hungry!

alice - check the box on the menu that says “Soft Chicken Taco.”