What's the difference between food science and nutrition?

What’s the difference between these two degree programs in college- food science and nutrition? Is it the same or is it different?
They said the requirement to be a food scientist or food technologist is a degree in food science or any related field. Could I have a job as a food technologist or food scientist with a degree in nutrition/dietetics or would I have to take a different degree? (like food science)

The primary difference is that nutritionists work for consumers, while food technologists work for producers. There is a large degree of overlap, but generally that is the way it works. Nutritionists focus more on the biological aspects of food, and how consumers can improve their health by eating better. In contrast, food technologists focus on manufacturing and agricultural techniques, and how food can be more effectively delivered to the people.

I graduated from a land grant university with a degree in food science and I can tell you that it is a fascinating field. America doesn’t really appreciate how hard the food industry works to ensure that they receive the most healthy food possible, while still maintaining an affordable price so as to remain competitive. Food manufacturers have a tendency to be vilified by the layman as being greedy and corrupt, but it just isn’t so.

TLDR:
Nutritionists focus on nutrition. They often work as counselors for consumers wanting to improve their health, and less frequently for food companies providing input on how to improve the health profile of their products.

Food technologists focus on manufacturing and agriculture. They work for food companies and work on developing new food products, reducing cost, improving food quality, streamlining production, and ensuring safety and quality. Given the amount of money a recall could cost a company, safety is always #1.

Sorry, missed the edit window.
EDIT:
Having a degree in nutrition can land you a job with a food company, but it is much easier to go the route of food science and take a minor in nutrition. In my experience, most of the knowledge that you will need to know for a job is learned on site, and not in your degree program. Food companies know this, and are really just interested in enthusiastic, bright minded people. One thing I will say is that food science focuses MUCH more heavily on microbiology which is absolutely the most critical part of quality assurance and safety management in the food industry. If you want to get into the food industry with a degree in nutrition, I strongly recommend taking specialty food-microbiology courses that would be required with a food science program. Also, food chemistry, while amazingly more difficult than one might imagine, can prove useful depending on what exactly your doing.