What's the Farthest You've Ever Been (from home)?

Somewhat off topic, but amusing … Buzz Aldrin’s official government travel compensation for travel to the moon:

My now-wife had a “vacation” place there, some acreage with a doublewide. When she moved south to Oregon & we got married, we sold the place off, it was a bit too much of a drive for a weekend retreat. Beautiful country there.

Try this site:

I plugged in Toronto as the departure point, with a destination of Perth, Australia. It sent me west from Toronto, on a Great Circle route, over the Pacific Ocean, to Perth. According to that site, going westbound, the distance is 18,153 km (11,280 miles). Very nearly, but not quite, halfway around the world.

And I’ve done that trip, a few times, when I lived in Toronto (43° 39’ N; 79° 23’ W). In fact, the first time, my travel agent said that I could go east (Toronto - London - Kuala Lumpur - Perth) or west (Toronto - Honolulu - Sydney - Perth); the difference in distance and cost and time was negligible, as it was pretty much halfway around the world.

So I guess that Perth (31° 57’ S; 115° 51’ E) would be my farthest South, East, and West. Farthest North would be Yellowknife, NWT, Canada (62° 27’ N; 114° 22’ W)–again, when I lived in Toronto. Compared to my trip to Perth, it’s a paltry 3076 km.

Furthest from Nashville: Ephesus/Efes, Turkey (5,822 miles)
Northernmost: Somewhere off the northern Iceland coast, confirmed to be inside the Arctic Circle (66.5°N)
Easternmost: Saint Petersburg, Russia (30.4°E)
Southernmost: Somewhere off the southern Panama coast after going through the Panama Canal (7.1°N)
Westernmost: Somewhere off the western coast of Oahu, Hawaii (158.2°W)

North and south were on a cruise ship; east and furthest were on cruise ship excursions; west was on a whale-watching excursion, but not cruise-ship based (for once).

If we take “home” to be the place I grew up and lived in until my 20s I’m actually pretty far now. Home was Cape Town, South Africa and I currently live in Bellevue, WA. That’s about 10,206 miles according to the linked distance calculator. When we lived in Berkeley, CA it was slightly more at 10,240. The furthest I’ve visited from home is Anchorage, AK at 10,487 miles.

I expect that’s my limit. The antipode is only something like ~12 thousand miles and it’s in the middle of the ocean.

From the DC area:
Furthest: Moscow, Google gives ~4900 miles
North: straightish north, upper part of Maine
North: highest, Kolka, Latvia.
South: somewhere in Puerto Rico
East: still Moscow
West: don’t really know as I did a motorcycle trip through Oregon and Washington and don’t remember where I was the furthest west.

I do not want to get off topic here, but I know how this place can be a stickler for wording and language rules, so I want to offer this (please don’t smack me over the hear with a rolled-up newspaper)…

The widely accepted rule is to use farther when being literal and discussing a physical distance, as in “He went farther down the road.” Further is used when discussing a more symbolic distance or to discuss a degree or extent, as in “I wanted to discuss it further , but we didn’t have time.”

I dispute most, if not all, of the mileages (or in a few cases kilometerages :slightly_smiling_face:) posted in this thread. While the distances might be an accurate representation of how far one must travel over the surface of the earth to get there, the actual displacements are somewhat smaller.

Just 1000 miles in any direction. One of those thousands was an all-night trip spent sharing the back seat of Dad’s little hatchback with the large family dog.

Bay Area, CA to Hong Kong and later mainland China (a little short of 7000 miles)

Home = Anchorage, AK
Furthest = Pretoria, SA, 10,017.36 mi
North = Barrow (Utqiaġvik), AK
South = Pretoria, SA
Depending on how you define east or west (I can’t figure it out), I guess Tokyo would fill the bill.

If you’re going to invoke that sort of pedantry then I suggest we should also consider what the location of each point was in the 3D space of the solar system or the galaxy at the different times they were visited.

After all, the errors being disregarded by ignoring my point vastly overshadow the puny errors your point rightly brings up. :wink:

Currently, from my home it East Tennessee:
Farthest = Edinburgh, Scotland (~3,892 miles/6,264 km)
Northernmost = Inverness, Scotland (57.5 deg N)
Easternmost = Cock Bridge, Scotland (-3.2 deg E)
Southernmost = Walt Disney World, Orlando, FL (28.4 deg S)
Westernmost = Point Reyes Station, CA (122.8 deg W)

From my place of birth (Victoria, BC):

Furthest away: Cape Town, South Africa (10, 250 miles/16,500 km)
South: Cape Town, South Africa
East: Doha, Qatar
North: King Christian Island, Nunavut (high Arctic)
West: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

It’s the Madrid Airport for me: I stepped outside to wait for my shuttle to my hotel and being that that’s the furthest away in Madrid that I was when I visited, it’s still the airport.

However if you count my current residence then it’s very close to tied with London in which case it’s the Tower of London. The Wood Green tube station in northern London, and Hatfield both look like they’re farther and are also are places I’ve been the most Northeast to, they’re closer to America because the great circle goes right through them on its way to the Tower.

Bangkok from SFO area, 8,450 miles.

On the other hand, I question the OP’s definition of “been”. I’ve “been” on a set of flights that started in SFO → Japan → Thailand → France → SFO, so I’ve circumnavigated the world across several weeks and so “been” as far from home as I can “be”.

Unles you go to space.

From home in San Juan County, WA:
North: Kotzebue, AK -1876 mi.
South: Arraial da Cabo, Brazil -7008 mi.
East: Mumbai, India - 7676 mi.
West: Singapore - 7935mi.

Northernmost near Point Barrow N 71 20’ 38 W 156 37’ 09
Southernmost Kosrae, Micronesia N 5 21’ 10 E 162 57’ 22
Easternmost Majuro Atoll, Republic of the Marshall Islands N 7 3’ 54 E 171 16’ 21
Westernmost Haleiwa, HI N 21 34’ 36 W 158 6’ 11

Home is the continental US since I’ve lived more than a year in each of Anacortes WA, Poughkeepsie NY, Miami FL and San Diego CA.

West - Bangkok - a week at a sales meeting
South - Bangkok
North - Reykjavik - 5 minutes in the airport gift shop
East - Megiddo - a memorable day

It’s interesting if you select the time plane as a year, a month, a week, a day, an hour or 5 minutes.