What's the fastest you've gone from really liking a new series to hating it/abandoning it?

As in, a new TV show/book/podcast/website comes up, and you’re automatically hooked, eagerly wait for every new installment, only to see either the format change or the writing just get terrible really quickly and instantly you’re not a fan anymore?

The podcast “How Did They Get Played” is a great concept, it’s the bad movie podcast “How Did This Get Made?” but for bad video games. Series debuted June 24th 2019 and it hit hard doing a lot of very classic bad video games like Superman 64, E.T., Sonic 2006 etc. I absolutely loved it since I was always surprised I had never seen a video game podcast that just solely covered bad games for comedic purposes before.

But then sometime at the start of 2020 the podcast just got … lazy … Instead of covering bad video games they pivoted and said in their intro they cover “The Worst and Weirdest Video Games” instead of just The Worst, which is fine, but then eventually the hosts themselves got incredibly lazy and started talking about GOOD games. When a game like “The Last Of Us” which some consider one of the greatest video games of all time gets THREE episodes dedicated to it, it really seems like they have lost the plot. And now the hosts seem to be passively aggressively lashing out at the people who came for the bad video games and are now complaining about how off-topic they’ve gotten. Heather Anne Campbell and Nick Wiger are hilarious hosts, but hearing them talk about good games is just so boring since the podcast has now basically become every other gaming podcast where they just talk about “games of the moment”.

Big Bang Theory around season six, when it started being about “relationships.” Yeccch! :face_vomiting:

Hidden Brain by Shankar Vedantam on NPR. I was enthused when I found out that his short segments were going to be expanded into a full series, but most of the time the full episodes aren’t looking at the vagaries of the brain but are more like the generic “let’s look at something quirky in an unexpected way” like This American Life or Radiolab. I don’t hate it so much as I don’t think it covers new territory. I may even prefer it to Radiolab because of less annoying editing quirks and the faux Mulder-Scully act where one person always has to be immediately skeptical.

I think I realized I hated Breaking Bad about 5 minutes into the first episode.

I went from loving to hating “Floor is Lava” in about two episodes, as it gradually sank in that the show was not a spoof. I’m still bummed about that!

For me, it took about two seasons to get fed up with The CW’s “Flash” series - it became pretty clear that technically Barry Allen is the villain. Most of the disasters befalling Central City were due to selfish and/or stupid choices he makes.

With books, I’d say I lasted about 7 books into the Dresden Files before I got sick of Harry. Hearing it was wrapping up, I picked up “Peace Talks” after a long hiatus, but nothing had changed. I skipped “Battle Ground.”

I feel like this answer is not quite what the OP is after. There was no pivot or change from the initial like. Unless you liked the first 4 minutes.

I have a similar reaction to the anime Bleach, i was bored and tired when i first watched the first episode. (And was again watching it again to try and see what people were enjoying. I even made it about halfway through the whole series eventually.)

But Dexter is likely a show that I would turn on if I watched the final season. The finale of what i did watch was pretty bad and upsetting enough already that I didn’t want to press on.

I was excited to watch it since everybody and the horse they rode simply raved how good it was. And it was something the wife and I were going to do together. About the only thing. And it was such an Epic let-down. After the first few episodes, when it came on, I’d go out to the garage, drink beer and throw darts.

I’ll throw another one out there: It was some kind of Anime thing on Adult Swim. Can’t even remember the name. About a bunch of kids in a ‘school’ or boarding home. The twist was they were being ‘farmed’. I lost interest in that after a few episodes. Wasn’t for me.

Truth is, I don’t like much. Even the new season of Archer is kinda lame to me. They are really phoning it in at this point.

One was The Rookie, with Nathan Fillion as a 40 year old LAPD rookie. It started out fine, but morphed during the first season into “young cops in love”, and by the second season Fillion’s character (and some of the others) got so stupid, and the plot lines so ridiculous, we gave up on the last episode of the second season and are NOT going back, even if it comes back.

We followed Major Crimes because mostly we enjoyed The Closer (except for the last season) but it quicky became The Rusty Show, and lost all touch with reality. Our theory was, the show was not actually a police procedural, but instead was “Rusty, A Young Gay Man’s Journey in the World”, about a young man who just happened to live and work with police and lawyers. The show was from Rusty’s journals, like John Watson, so all the blatant mistakes in law or police procedures or human behaviour that took place? That’s because Rusty actually doesn’t understand any of it. He just writes like an 8 year old trying to explain the mysteries of the world. We got sick of that show in the first season, but stuck out longer hoping it would improve. (Spolier: it did not)

Burn Notice took longer for us to sour on. The first seasons were very clever, so we forgave a lot of the early missteps, but it started going downhill and became clear it was never going to get better again, By the end, when Michael transformed into the person the CIA thought he was in the first episode, we quit watching, just in time so we didn’t see him kill his mom. Those last seasons have soured us on the show so much we’re reluctant to watch the good ones, as they are tainted by what came later.

Two more, near and dear to Dopers.

Voyager: started with good hopes but I began to sour on it in the very first season. But like a good trekker I stuck it out till the end. What a waste of precious years.

Enterprise: This time I learned my lesson,. When it became clear it was born stupid, I bailed.

Promised Neverland? That’s fair. I really like the last 2 episodes but not worth sticking around if you didn’t like the first few.

Aldnoah Zero was an interesting concept for a mecha anime (training mech wins fights by exploiting weaknesses of super-powerful mechs) but by the second season was a mopey cliche ridden beast of a show where nothing made sense.

Survivor. IT became not a show on how to make it through and dealing with hardship, but backstabbing and lying. Ys, even the first season had some of this, but many seasons had not one redeeming character in it. not one nice person. It became a microcosm of the worst of our society.

The Emberverse, by S M Stirling . Loved the initial trilogy (Dies the Fire, The Protector’s War, and A Meeting at Corvallis), but I gave up somewhere in the middle of the fourth or fifth book.

Sr Weasel and I have a new agreement where we stop something the moment it loses our interest. We call it The Umbrella Academy principle, because we watched that entire first season expecting, nay, hoping it would get better and it never did.

Dead to Me had a terrific first season. Then right at the begging of Season 2 there’s a shocking moment when Steve, who is supposed to be dead, shows up unannounced. Oh wait - turns out that’s just his identical twin. What is this, a soap opera? We dropped it on the spot.

Voyager is a show I enjoyed while watching it, but only in retrospect realized what a frustrating experience it was. It just wasn’t very good.

Black Summer, another zombie series on Netflix. Heart-racing action and suspense out of the gate that immediately hooked me. But then after two episodes, I realized I didn’t care about any of the characters. I watched one or two more and still didn’t care, so I quit.

Yep. As with many book series, once the Publisher tells the author they have a goldmine here and thus needs to draw it out indefinitely, it becomes really bad really fast. I think I stuck out until book six? Now book 15.

Other examples:

The Xanth series (first two are excellent) now book 47! :scream:

Wheel of Time I stuck it out until book 8, now 14.

A certain series just done on HBO

(for those above, once you find out that it will take a entire book to push the plot are far as a chapter used to- it is time to give up)

The Gor series by Norman (fun until around book 4 or 5, then devolves into his weird sex slave fetish) Now book 35?

I still watch Survivor.

I watched the first episode of The Walking Dead with the lead character waking up in an abandoned hospital to a world full of zombies. I thought, “This is a depressing environment.” And I stopped watching the series. (Which is unfortunate, as it’s been going on for years, with, I think, multiple spin-off series.)

I found Mom somewhat enchanting (I freely admit that I absolutely adore Allison Janney) – the 14th episode was stunning on all cylinders – but it rather quickly became tedious. One can take only so much of damaged people, and there do seem to be some serious real-world concerns about AA.

I despise that show as , IMHO it wastes the great talents of Janney.