What's the fastest you've gone from really liking a new series to hating it/abandoning it?

I finished the series in large part because I had already invested so much time into it. Jordan is a prime example of an author who needed to be reigned in by an editor. But it’s probably tough for an editor to reign in an author when they’re married to one another. I still remember one of the books in the series whose plot summary is as follows: Elayne took a bath.

I’m having a tough time coming up with a series I really liked and suddenly hated. I’ll have to go with the Star Trek franchise as a whole. As a life long fan of Star Trek, I could not conceive of ever giving up on the franchise. But I gave up with Voyager by season two because I thought it was boring. And I was super excited about Enterprise but gave up on the series in the first episode when they introduced the temporal cold war. I was convinced that Voyager was proof that Star Trek fans would watch anything but Enterprise disabused me of that notion.

Thanks–I might just have to give it another shot!

[tangent]
These days I’m really on the hunt for a long series that is reliably good. Ever since the gyms closed I do all of my running at home, and I usually get a 45min run in after work while watching one episode of CSI. Thankfully there are hundreds of episodes of that franchise, so I have plenty of runs in my future, but it would be nice to add something different to the mix. Breaking Bad is a little heavy for this particular purpose. I’ll probably post a separate thread on this.
[/tangent]

Law & Order, perhaps?

Especially since even Denise Crosby regretted quitting.

She really bailed too early. The show had obvious weak episodes and stinkers in the first part of the season, but by the time she quit, they were already getting better. Ironically, Skin of Evil was a very good episode.

And, people are entitled to their opinions, but TNG has more than “a couple” good episodes. I would say (helped by running seven v. three seasons) it has more good episodes than TOS has total episodes.

(It also has stinkers that should have been dumped on the planet with Armus. Sub Rosa, anyone? Genesis? Masks? Code of Honor? Naked Now?)

I thought that she was fired for posing for certain pictures.

I was going to mention these. 25 or so books, now! I gave up after nine or ten (hey, the library had them), but I peeked into a recent one at the bookstore and it appears that she still hasn’t decided between Ranger and Morelli. Definitely the same story over and over. And the movie tanked too.

I watched the Battlestar Galactica remake to the final episode, and through away the DVDs I had burned.

I never heard that. She said at the time that she thought her character had nothing to do. She was becoming (in her opinion) just another glorified telephone operator, opening hailing frequencies. (They even had her say that in her farewell video, fer cripes sake!) (Besides I thought it was Marina Sirtis that had the nudies? Not that I ever looked for them.)

If they didn’t like her pics so much that they fired her, they wouldn’t have let her come back.

I thought (Return to Tomorrow Is All Our) Yesterday’s Enterprise (Incident) was a good episode, but her Romulan character should have never been created.

I would not agree. Depending on your definition of “good”. I have seen quite a number of SNG episodes more recently and it is saturated with seas of meh. What you might call “good” I find unwatchable, and even some of the best (e.g., Captain’s Holiday) conclude with a thud. Less than a fifth of the series rises to the level of “worth watching”. IMO.

It wasn’t just that, but they were getting so much action it was ridiculous. Felt more like 2 1/2 Men than BBT.

I like to say I stopped watching because Penny cut her hair. Which is mostly a joke but partly true, that was a visual representation of how the show had changed.

I certainly believe that.

We dont get that here in the USA, sadly, there was one season, and that is about it. We can watch a few epis on YouTube, but those are not captioned.

The problem with Gotham is that Gordon was supposedly the one honest cop. But he aint honest in Gotham, he is so bent he beats out Beckham.

I don’t recall when they were taken, but Denise Crosby’s pictures appeared in Playboy some time after TNG came on the air. I don’t believe they could have been grounds for firing her (that sort of thing was already common by 1988), but they did nothing to improve her image as a hot babe.

Before being cast for TNG, Marina Sirtis was in a movie that featured nudity, and I have seen stills from it. Her physical attributes were (maybe still are) much more impressive than Crosby’s.

Don’t worry, that’s not how it ends. Overall, I thought the series ended well.

Walking Dead I watched the first few. I quickly decided that I had enough drama and angst in my own life. I don’t need to watch everyone die week after week.

The OA Holy shit, was this a terrible let down. It started off as an interesting mystery about the main character. I won’t go into what it turned into, but it was bad.

LOST

Started out great but didnt make sense after awhile and I got the feeling they had no idea where they were going with it. The ending made no sense.

I ground through the whole series. Really the first trilogy was best (the ones with Mike & Norman). The second series leaned into the fantasy aspects more, but was still kind of interesting, in that it was sort of an epic quest kind of thing. The third set was just steaming trash; it had some interesting parts, but as a trilogy of books go, it was weird, rushed and somewhat incoherent.

I think the book series I enjoyed then got turned off of is the companion series showing what happened to the Nantucketers when The Change happened; I read the first book, thought it was ok if not spectacular. As usual, they didn’t stretch out the horrific elements quite enough, and moved on to geopolitical stuff and relationship stuff.

Which brings me to answer the same question for TV shows; it was The Walking Dead. I watched the first two seasons, with it declining as it went on, and couldn’t make it through the first 5 episodes of the third. Why? Because the walkers went from being the big implacable bad guys to being something they could manage and deal with, and the show turned into more of an action soap opera than a survival horror show. I damn near quit watching Battlestar Galactica at one point for the same reason- the Cylons faded into the background, and the show started being about inter-fleet politics and other crap like that. If I wanted to watch that kind of thing, I’d have watched “The West Wing” or “House of Cards” or something along those lines.

Schitt’s Creek.
I didn’t try it until it was on its third or fourth season. And I was excited because everyone seemed to love it. I liked the first couple of episodes. But I only got about 10 episodes in before I got really tired of the lead characters’ continuing cluelessness. Stupid just isn’t that funny to me. I decided I couldn’t wait around to see if their characters ever evolved.
Also, put me down for Burn Notice. I loved it in the beginning. Hated it after a few seasons.
Meanwhile, I’m glad I stuck it out on The Umbrella Academy. First season was only OK. Second season was much more interesting.

Oh, yes, I had forgotten about The OA. It started really interesting, then turned to poo.

Green Arrow and The Flash both fell off pretty quickly, too.

I gave up on all the DC TV shows because the characters tended to be utterly stupid and their powers varied wildly based on the needs of the plot - one moment the Flash can travel so fast he can vibrate through matter and go back in time, the next moment someone is able to shoot him in the foot. Supergirl was even worse, because the alternative was to have to actually come up with storylines befitting an overpowered hero.