What's the maximum extent to which a private citizen is allowed to wage war?

Let’s say that some super-rich billionaire (with, say the wealth of Musk, Gates or Bezos) decided he wanted to help out Israel, Ukraine, or some other side in a foreign war.

Is he in violation of the Logan Act (or some other legislation) if he starts negotiating with foreign nations or entities to buy up tanks, armored vehicles, howitzers, missiles, etc. and shipping them to Israel or Ukraine? I’m sure he’s allowed to send as much non-military aid as he wants (nobody would get prosecuted for sending large amounts of food, clothing or whatnot) but what is the limitation on armament?

What if he puts out bounties, “Hey, I’ll pay $100 million to someone who can assassinate the leaders of Hamas?”

And what if it’s something that’s dual-use? For instance, a gallon of gasoline is just as usable by soldiers as by civilians, so how would it be classified if he’s sending fuel to one side?

I believe this would be conspiracy to murder.

This feels relevant:

https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-1617-extraterritorial-criminal-jurisdiction-18-usc-112-878-970-1116

You may want to look into the Arms Export Control Act of 1976, most recently amended in 2018. Basically gives the President authority to control arms leaving the country.

President Ford delegated these responsibilities to the Secretaries of State and Defense. President Obama issued an updated executive order delegating said authority in 2013. Now Justice (i.e. ATF), Homeland Security, and Commerce have a role in regulating arms exports.

Today the relevant regulations are found at 22 CFR Part 120, 22 CFR Part 121 (the “Munitions List”), 27 CFR Part 447, etc. Individuals in the business of moving military material are expected to be familiar and compliant with the regulations.

~Max

Isn’t the obvious course simply to give the cash to the state he wants to support, and let them buy the arms?

Heh. I did a law school research paper on private military companies (PMC). It addressed this law.

OP, the best thing that billionaire could do would be to form an offshore PMC that hires non-Americans, (or Americans willing to headquarters overseas) and would serve as a militia that could operate outside U.S. law.

That would certainly apply if our fatcat wanted to buy his supplies in/from the USA.

IANA expert, but it’s probably much easier and better to buy the supplies in / from a different country then use them against your friend’s enemy or simply gift them to your friend.

Well, they’d need to register as an arms broker per the act. And comply with U.S. embargoes, etc.

~Max

The entire western nation aid to Ukraine is about 380 billion.

Bezos is worth about 200 billion. Mostly in non liquid assets.

I appreciate people citing applicable laws, but I’m pretty sure there are ways around them, especially if certain government entities were for it. And you had good CPAs on the payroll.

But Bezos would have to sell100% of his stock in Amazon to even come up with about 50%of what nation states have already provided. I dont think donating even a 100 million would really do much.

If he wanted to overthrow Zaire, and had friends in high places, that might be different

Nitpick: it would be very different. Zaire no longer exists. It is now the Democratic Republic of Congo.

In any case, it has had a simmering civil ware for years; frequently has incursions from Rwanda - these people are used to war.

Most of that is food aid and cash for non -military needs. Military aid is only $118 billion. Certainly still more than any individual could offer.