What's the most blatantly incorrect officiating error in sports history?

Maybe Dempsey should have got his ass in the neutral corner faster, like he should have, rather than delay the start of the count.

How about those Olympic boxing and figure skating scandals where the fix was in with the judges?

It seemed like a blown call with the original TV audio, and was widely reported that way, but the referee got it right.

That’s one of the ones that came to my mind as well.

There’s also this play from the 2009 ALCS where the Angels’ catcher tags two Yankees at third base but only one is called out.

MY first thought was the Galarraga ‘imperfect game’.

How about Maradona and the ‘Hand of God’? goal

You mean Shilton`s follly?
Basically anything with Aussie umpires.

Yeah, that’s the one I was going to post about. I was watching that game on TV when it happened. It wasn’t even a close call that he was out, but the ump called him safe.

Redskins at Dallas, final game of the 1979 regular season. With the clock running down, Theismann hits a receiver at about the Dallas 41, give or take a yard. With 2 seconds left, Theismann was frantically signalling time-out to the official, who turned his back on Joe and walked away.

Moseley had the leg, at that time, to potentially hit one from that distance (58 yards, give or take a yard); he’d hit from 70 in practice.

And the difference between winning and losing was the difference between being division champs and being out of the playoffs entirely. AFAIAC the 1979 season never finished; it’s perpetually frozen with 2 seconds to go in Dallas.

In the history of sports? That would be the jackass ref in 84 or so who said I didn’t catch the ball. The ball never got within 2 feet of the ground you stupid blind asshole. There is no way anybody could have ever thought the ball hit the ground, he obvious just called it 'cause he wanted them to win.

It’s also what I thought about, though it was not blatant, at least as I understand the word.

What happened to Galarraga? I see he no longer is playing in the MLB. Did he decline in talent or get injured?

Despite the (shoulda been) perfect game, he was never really all that successful. Career 26-34,with a 4.78 ERA. Just wasn’t good enough to last.

He was a marginal talent who had a day of brilliance.

The call on the catch by Calvin Johnson that started us down the road of endless replays and not even knowing what a catch is. Given its impact I’d say that is by far the most egregious “error” in NFL history.

Don’t forget Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart in Montreal, when the referee calls for the bell (and Vince McMahon orders the timekeeper to ring the bell) even though Hart clearly does not submit. Of course, neither of those were “mistakes” exactly…

To be fair, stopping the second one was legitimate; the clock said :25. The buzzer you hear in the middle of the play is the timer trying to get the attention of the officials on the court that they weren’t ready yet.

The actual mistake was, not giving the USSR a timeout it had called between the two free throws prior to the final play. This is what caused the first “restart” in the first place.

Colorado scoring a touchdown as time ran out on fifth down enroute in a season that ended with them splitting the national championship.

Meh. It wasn’t a close bang-bang play, but it also wasn’t blatantly terrible.

Greg Page won the WBA heavyweight title in 1984 by knocking out Gerrie Coetzee 3:49 into the eighth round. That was 49 seconds after the round should have ended.

In 1981, the Lions beat the Cowboys 27-24 with a 47-yard field goal as time expired. Detroit had 12 men on the field.

Hand of God without a doubt. 30 years ago and I still get irritated about it.

Oooh, how about Missouri’s 5th Down against Colorado?

This one time, Colorado beat Missouri after the refs screwed up the down markers. CU scored on 5th down.